• I already joined

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Not now

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • I want to learn about TTs

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remember an ad asking for 18K for bhoot bangla LP! There were a few other LPs too. Total price of about 4-5 LPs were 75K only. If that is the trend, I may consider settling matters for once and for all - buying a vinyl pressing plant for myself.

I remember one record seller told me he recently sold a Kishore Kumar record for Rs 20000!

Also, he told me this record commands unusually high prices. Background story here.

+1 Bhaskar,

Not Only LP also the TT's.Recently I met a dealer in Bangalore as he had few Interesting Tamil Classical Music.

He was asking 300-400 and the Lp's were also not in much good condition.When i start to negotiate he just was giving me a lecture as if he I running One of the CD\LP Company.

There is High demand for LP's and ALL the Music lovers are moving towards TT and LP,No more Cassette and CD market is going to boom again. So get for this prize as the demand getting increased day by day even the common records would be rare sooner.

If you miss them, then it may be doubled too.I am giving for a reasonable prize because even am Music Lover"

Apart from it, he was pushing all the Crap records in a Lot and says if you get as Lot give me 3k for 30 Lp if you want single then its 200-300.80% of his LP are almost dead and i haven't head of those artist or films.Crazy and Greedy.

But i hever hesitate to give him back the anger, "Look i knew that LP are moving towards market nowadays due to people liking them a Lot.But dont mind that WE as buyer has option to get it anywhere available and Most of the Common People were moved into Digital Media and not even using CDP\DVD. So Dont expect much for a LP,Though its demanding market the Demanding people are very few compared to Digital Media.

If you give me reasonable Prize, i can get it else you can give to some one who pays you even In Dollars.I never Mind"

I just left his place, i much worried these Buggers would resume the TT and LP back to the Attic because of their greediness.At least his happens in India.

I remember an ad asking for 18K for bhoot bangla LP! There were a few other LPs too. Total price of about 4-5 LPs were 75K only. If that is the trend, I may consider settling matters for once and for all - buying a vinyl pressing plant for myself.

But sadly there are customers who are ready to pay this high prices and more. And if you are really interested in those records(if they come from a proper seller) then unfortunately you have to pay that price. And the funny thing is that these buyers are mostly not interested in music. They buy those records to show off their possession as "rare" pieces. The interest is for the "rare" record and not for the "good music". But again foolishly they forget that these "rare" records are there in thousands of numbers. So "rarity" stays in their mind and pride and gives them a blind self satisfaction. You'll find all this guys on Facebook etc. social network sites daily updating their record pics and getting irrelevant comments from their like-mindeds.

Another thing is that most of these "rare" records are basically the musically rejected albums. Take an example of RD Burman records. Most of the albums with excellent music pieces(obviously very popular ones) are available for a normal price. But the albums with songs that people normally did not like became "rare" and demand high price.

Collecting records is a nice hobby, but IMHO we should not get into rat race and act like fools while making those greedy sellers happy.

Regards,
Bhaskar

Last edited:
Interesting discussion here. The maximum I've paid for a record is 110$ (sometime early this year). This is the one :

http://www.discogs.com/Аспид-Кровоизлияние/release/3001470

It was something I wanted it so badly. It is ridiculously rare and if you ask me, I got a pretty fair deal with it.

However, there was an album which came out this year. Pre-orders for it started pretty early on the record label's website. They had a clear vinyl version which was limited to 150 worldwide. I missed out. And now you can see this limited version sometimes over Ebay and Discogs. The price they ask for it is like 150 Euro, 200 Dollars, etc.

No wonder why the limited editions pre-orders got sold out so fast ! I hate such people who buy multiple copies just to sell it (and not just 'sell'..handsomely sell!) :mad: I think these record labels should make sure that they do not sell more than ONE COPY PER CUSTOMER! I don't mind paying good money for some really old obscure classic..but come on! Paying so much for albums which are not even a month old! That's madness!

Another thing is that most of these "rare" records are basically the musically rejected albums. Take an example of RD Burman records. Most of the albums with excellent music pieces(obviously very popular ones) are available for a normal price. But the albums with songs that people normally did not like became "rare" and demand high price.

Yes you're right but there are a good number of artists that never got popular at all..while their music was fantastic. It's just that earlier when there was no internet it was difficult for them to spread their music. But now because of the internet, more people have become familiar with such artists..and their long forgotten albums now, are being treated as classics. And their CDs/vinyls which were released back in the day, fetch a fortune today!

Last edited:
But sadly there are customers who are ready to pay this high prices and more. And if you are really interested in those records(if they come from a proper seller) then unfortunately you have to pay that price. And the funny thing is that these buyers are mostly not interested in music. They buy those records to show off their possession as "rare" pieces. The interest is for the "rare" record and not for the "good music". But again foolishly they forget that these "rare" records are there in thousands of numbers. So "rarity" stays in their mind and pride and gives them a blind self satisfaction. You'll find all this guys on Facebook etc. social network sites daily updating their record pics and getting irrelevant comments from their like-mindeds.

Collecting records is a nice hobby, but IMHO we should not get into rat race and act like fools while making those greedy sellers happy.

Regards,
Bhaskar

Absolutely on the target Bhaskar!!.
What is the point of keeping a record which you don't enjoy or is not to your taste? In the past few months i have given away more than 600 LP records( English & Hindi) to friends and forum members, keeping only the ones which i like. I don't bother about the market value. It makes me happy if those records give pleasure to some one rather than being unused in my collection.

regards,
shafic

110$ for an Album :eek:hyeah: Ops, It would be almost double the money which i spent for my Current(Mini) System.

The Only way to get rid of such Greedy Goose is in hands of Vinyl companies,
If they start they Production Unit and server all the Vinyl loves across the World.How good that be?That too with a decent Prize tag in it.

Not all atleast they could bring the best Albums or High Sold out Albums or Hits of Artist or Best of Genre etc.

One advantage of LP over the CD is, It cannot be Pirated:clapping: and Given free in Online. Even if its available then People will not be much interested as the Compressed versions would be already available
;)

Yesterday i just picked one LP ( SANNATA,music by Rajesh Roshan)from my collection. I have never heard that picture's name or songs, but surprisingly the quality of recording, sound separation and the music is very good. I like the 'SUPERMAN,SUPERMAN' song. It is a 45 rpm record.
I have heard that the sound quality of 45 rpm LPs is better than 33 rpm ones. Is it true?

Yes you're right but there are a good number of artists that never got popular at all..while their music was fantastic. It's just that earlier when there was no internet it was difficult for them to spread their music. But now because of the internet, more people have become familiar with such artists..and their long forgotten albums now, are being treated as classics. And their CDs/vinyls which were released back in the day, fetch a fortune today!

+1 to the above. No way I meant to disrespect those unfortunate releases. What I wanted to emphasize that if the music is enjoyable to you, then paying high amount is justified irrespective of what other people think about that. But in the Indian scenario (film music), that's not happening. Most of the film songs were well publicized. But now, people are mostly running after those records which has become "rare" because of poorer quality of music which the mass forgot easily in those days. I don't want to mention any name since good or bad is a very relative choice, but try to listen to some of those very high priced and "rare" hindi film records, you'll know what I'm trying to indicate.

Regards,
Bhaskar

+1 to the above. No way I meant to disrespect those unfortunate releases. What I wanted to emphasize that if the music is enjoyable to you, then paying high amount is justified irrespective of what other people think about that. But in the Indian scenario (film music), that's not happening. Most of the film songs were well publicized. But now, people are mostly running after those records which has become "rare" because of poorer quality of music which the mass forgot easily in those days. I don't want to mention any name since good or bad is a very relative choice, but try to listen to some of those very high priced and "rare" hindi film records, you'll know what I'm trying to indicate.

Regards,
Bhaskar

+1 Bhaskar
Point to point, as always.
If i get good quality songs of my taste from CDs, sure!! i will not go for vinyls.
regards,
shafic

Last edited:
+1 Bhaskar
Point to point, as always.
If i get good quality songs of my taste from CDs, sure!! i will not go for vinyls.
regards,
shafic

Unfortunately, I can't say that exactly, since I'm deeply in love with this media all my life. :) . But yes, given the difficulty(price and availability wise ) of getting some record of my choice, I would have definitely gone CD way, if the quality would have been same.

Regards,
Bhaskar

What is the point of keeping a record which you don't enjoy
regards,
shafic

Shafic, I think this is a cardinal mistake..

There were times, many a LPs which I have not played for years, suddenly became the most sought after, when kids got their hand over my turntable :).. Even I miss,the albums like HarryBelafonte/mary poppins/BoneyM/Bobby/Kabi Kabie/James Last etc, which I did donate a decade ago, but wont do that mistakes again, cos my kids love to meddle playing with that kind..

If not for this forum, I would have donated all my Osibisa/kraftwerk/ collections, cos I found it to be not my taste once, but found them good now..I once donated a bundle of Ilayaraja/KJJ LPs, but I regret now.

Keep them safe, and store them;But if you/your home minister objects to this as a junk occupying space in this modern world which demands 14,000Rs /Sft for a living space, pls give them due consideration..

After a long search, i got this record... Manippur Maamiyar.

Attachments

• DSC_2480.JPG
    DSC_2480.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I agree with Simon. There are lots of records that one hoards and doesn't play for years but suddenly one day, its exciting to discover something one's never heard in one's collection :)

I agree with Simon. There are lots of records that one hoards and doesn't play for years but suddenly one day, its exciting to discover something one's never heard in one's collection :)

i agree with simon and reuben to a certain extent.whether it is records, cds or tapes the joy of discovering music that may have been lying around but never heard is special.
back in 1990 i had got a bunch of cds. was transitioning from heavy metal to classic rock in those days.
Some 2 years after i got the cds, i tried a Stevie wonder album.

now stevie in my head was just "part time lover" kinda popish stuff but the moment the first track started, " Superstition" in this case,i was totally mesmerised. stevie has been one of my fav artist from that time.

but still there is a limit to how much you can buy without listening for years. i think its better to buy,try and discard if you dont like something than not try at all.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back