Bad quality audio from ipod to car AUX

server3249

Ok, I recently bought a panasonic cable that is supposed to connect my ipod touch to my car AUX in (Sony). The problem is the quality of the audio sucks. The same music on MP3 CDs sounds good, but ipod music sounds bad.

What could I be missing here? Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, I recently bought a panasonic cable that is supposed to connect my ipod touch to my car AUX in (Sony). .
What kind of special cable have you purchased?
A simple & cheapo male to male stereo cable should suffice. Connect one end to the headphone jack of your ipod and the other end to the aux jack.

For the sound quality, turn off any equalizer setting in the ipod.

Ok, I recently bought a panasonic cable that is supposed to connect my ipod touch to my car AUX in (Sony). The problem is the quality of the audio sucks. The same music on MP3 CDs sounds good, but ipod music sounds bad.

What could I be missing here? Thanks.

Check if the cable is loose or something. It should grip inside with a click tone. I had the same issue changed the cable and it was good.

The SQ of ipod touch with the apple headphones is certainly worse than my budget audiophile setup. Dunno if its the ipod or your aux-in quality.

What kind of special cable have you purchased?
A simple & cheapo male to male stereo cable should suffice. Connect one end to the headphone jack of your ipod and the other end to the aux jack.

For the sound quality, turn off any equalizer setting in the ipod.

Thanks. It's a normal 3.5 cable (I'll double check the "stereo" part, but I think it's stereo. I tried the equalizer part already, but it didn't make things better. :(

Check if the cable is loose or something. It should grip inside with a click tone. I had the same issue changed the cable and it was good.

Thanks. The cable seems very nicely built actually, and fits in properly at both ends.

The SQ of ipod touch with the apple headphones is certainly worse than my budget audiophile setup. Dunno if its the ipod or your aux-in quality.

Headphones don't come into the picture actually, the wire is 3.5 at both ends and connects into the car stereo which drives the speakers. When I play the same music off an MP3 CD, it sounds great, but through the AUX connection, it sounds bad.

I also saw a "High Definition" version of the same connector (in a different brand) at Croma, it was like 550 while this Panasonic one was 299. Could this make any difference or is this a gimmick?

Headphones don't come into the picture actually, the wire is 3.5 at both ends and connects into the car stereo which drives the speakers. When I play the same music off an MP3 CD, it sounds great, but through the AUX connection, it sounds bad.

I also saw a "High Definition" version of the same connector (in a different brand) at Croma, it was like 550 while this Panasonic one was 299. Could this make any difference or is this a gimmick?

Why you need a 3.5 cable you just need that one single cable on the left side ..... The one I got was 50Rs and awesome clarity but I almost use the BTaudio feature all the time.

0050570000_4099.jpg

Why you need a 3.5 cable you just need that one single cable on the left side ..... The one I got was 50Rs and awesome clarity but I almost use the BTaudio feature all the time.

0050570000_4099.jpg

The one on the left -is- a 3.5mm cable buddy, that's the standard size that headphones use..

Rule out two possibilities.
Your cable is a stereo one and not mono. See pic

stereomono.jpg

Your aux in Sony has gone bad. To check this, use anything that has a headphone jack (cell phone, another mp3 player, walkman, tape recorder, etc), connect it to the car stereo and play something. If it doesn't play properly with any other device, probably the aux needs repair.

Rule out two possibilities.
Your cable is a stereo one and not mono. See pic

stereomono.jpg

Your aux in Sony has gone bad. To check this, use anything that has a headphone jack (cell phone, another mp3 player, walkman, tape recorder, etc), connect it to the car stereo and play something. If it doesn't play properly with any other device, probably the aux needs repair.

Sounds good, I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks.

Hi,

Following points for your consideration here :
1. If you connect using the 3.5 mm jack on both sides (i.e. headphone out to aux in) then your ipod volume setting would play a major part if the sound is distorted. The best you can do here is play at a lower volume from the ipod. After some trial and error you will find the best volume level for the ipod and your stereo which gives you the best under this condition.
2. A superior connection is to take the actual "line out" from the ipod. There are many such adapters (I guess one of the above pictures also shows it). If you connect from the line out to the Aux in then you cannot fiddle with the ipod volume and you would get a far better Sound qual. Check out and see if you need such an ipod dock

2. A superior connection is to take the actual "line out" from the ipod. There are many such adapters (I guess one of the above pictures also shows it). If you connect from the line out to the Aux in then you cannot fiddle with the ipod volume and you would get a far better Sound qual. Check out and see if you need such an ipod dock

Correct! The right way is NOT to take the signal from the headphone output but from the line output. See this. I bought this line out adapter and it works PERFECTLY!

Hai all,

I have connected my SAMSUNG Monte Cell Phone to AUX in of my Maruti A-Star and the SQ is as good as I play it from the CD.

N.Murali

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back