Bangalore HFV Meet?

When do we meet for HFV Blr -1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi,

This small piece of card will make it accept sata HDD : IDE to SATA or SATA to IDE Converter Adapter gifts in india at rediff shopping.

just abt 300 Rs ....

Kaushik I wouldn't use or recommend if I were you,sorry buddy but thats piece of garbage !! it uses a very very shitty chip and can conk anytime :p!

I had similar requirements for my PC,have done all that's to do with such cards and stuff !! Hence my comment,please don't mind !!

Having a geek like Kaushik around to answer our questions is definitely an asset for us Bangalore folks!

He sure is :lol: !! his spirits run always run high and he's nonstop discoverer,will always upto some or the other thing :eek:hyeah: !!

Kaushik, are you well versed in Linux? Or any of the other guys who came on Sunday?

Well I hope there are few from the meet who can help,if not let me know ! I have all the flavours one can imagine ! can surely pump one into your system !

Else Goerge, THE BEST option for you is to Download on of the live distro's !! these are the linux versions which needs no installations !! just pop the disc in and it'll boot work like a regular OS !! remove it and you are back to Wind(Bl)ows:lol: !! I have suggested this to most NMT users for various things that they may need to do with it !!

This is one of my Fav Live Linux version !

Linuxmint

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Santosh, George, et all...

Can I join in as well this Saturday? Srinisundar earlier was suggesting that I take my Oppo BDP-83 to your place for checking out its capabilities. Can this be accommodated in Saturday's agenda? Do let me know and I will come armed with the Oppo. If not this Saturday, then maybe next weekend... no issues.

I donno if I did the right thing by getting Oppo first before any other A/V stuff :eek:hyeah: What is done is done...

BTW, where are you located @ in Bangalore.

Cheers,
S.

@Ramesh
You remembered all our names & faces!!! how do you do that? unbelievable...

SSSHHHH ... It's a secret :)

Maybe ppl who live close to each other can meet more often and keep the momentum going...

That's a good idea & let us start working on this.

A personal thanks to ramesh for remembering all names as well giving us the route to get back to our place, else with soulforge and my skills we would have never reached home :)
Sudhir

You are welcome pal. Nice meeting you & Soulforged :)

I guess we should meet again shortly, however, not sure of many homes in blr that can accomodate 25 ppl.
Sudhir

You are right ..... Bangalore pals, in case at any point of time if you are able to organize a place for atleast 25 persons, please post the information about the venue & date of availability of that place so that all of us can plan.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

hi steven,

i was just thinking - for all the younger guys starting off - they have but two paths- dames and music - and for them spending on toobs would be better than spending on b@@bs! - after all, toobs make beautiful music, but the person to whom those things (b@@bs) are attached usually screams discordantly!:)

regards
& Steve responed-
"grin GRIN

yeah you can always trade toobs

i'll let you in on a secret. this is precisely why the kiss was invented. the vocal cords are silenced. bonus they think you're being romantic smooth!"

LMAO!!!
You guys are really a riot!
Thank God, "Our Father Who Is In HiFiVision" missed this one!
Kamal

Congratulations to the Bangalore Members for pulling this off.
I really enjoyed reading the posts abt the event & thanks also to Antony for the lovely pics & attaching names to faces.
I also envy the members who made it to ARN for the audition of the Ushers & the EPs-something I've been wanting to do for a while now.
Guess I'll have to wait since apparently Sridhar is facing delays in opening his oulet in Delhi.

George,

i am a future geek :) ,now a web crawler

..presently i am comfortable with linux..was a system programmer in 'embedded linux'.

This domain is a bit different than the normal linux distos .
However i have done some setup of Voip servers , co-linux,SSH etc ...

I will give a try and together help from with soundsgreat, sudhir ,may fulfill your wishes.

Soundsgreat,
Why the chip gave disliked your disks? may be ur smps gave spikes or some other issue?there will be better alternatives for sure.. they will work i guess..
I will verify IDE to SATA best adapters...

my first project in my previous job was NAS related..forgot all.

Kaushik wrote-
" I will verify IDE to SATA best adapters..."

I too would be very interested in this gyan.
The one converter available in Nehru Place was of awful quality-did not work out of the box & was told wld be very unreliable even if it did.

Where do you get 7inch screens? I am looking for one to fit on my HTPC.

Cheers
Liliput makes good 7 inch screens. Very popular among CarPC and HTPC users. Since you travel frequently, best to buy abroad.

Having a geek like Kaushik around to answer our questions is definitely an asset for us Bangalore folks! Kaushik, are you well versed in Linux? Or any of the other guys who came on Sunday?

I have a system that is running on Linux and I am considering getting a copy of XP or Win 7 and loading it on as well-some of my applications run on windows and I am more comfortable with it, but for simple email etc, I don't need to use Windows. Both my NAS and SB have Linux versions of their s/w. Since I have another system, also a Dual Core running on XP, I am seriously considering all options,BUT I am a bit challenged with using Linux!

George
George, you don't have to use Linux as you have a system that is working very smoothly and most importantly you are comfortable with it. So, please share with us why you need Linux. Although, your NAS and SB have Linux versions, you only need to install these on one computer (please correct me if I am wrong) which you already have. Now even if you need to access a Linux computer from these, you will need to just connect to it via IP address.

I am no geek, but use the Ubuntu flavour of Linux on my Home PC for internet (generally secure from Viruses etc) and for data transfer between my hard-disks(much faster). I have around 3TB of data(mostly HD movies) and transfer speeds really matters.

I use the default dual-boot configuration, so I can choose to boot either from Windows or Linux. I have not yet ventured into using Linux\PC for Audio, will get there when I am ready to buy a Beresford Caiman after trying it in my chain.

George,
i am a future geek :) ,now a web crawler
I will verify IDE to SATA best adapters...
Your interest and attitude towards DIY is very inspiring Kaushik. Thanks again for your preso that day and all your interesting posts. Keep them coming:)

Sreekanth is right, firstly these won't last long. Secondly, while it will work and may be useful if you have old disks, I would never recommend an IDE to SATA adapter simply because it will be bottleneck. There is a huge different in bus speeds and hence I will not want to have an adapter in my NAS. FYI, you don't even need a dedicated NAS for Squeezebox to work. Any PC connected to a network will do.

The only reason why we would require a NAS is:
a) Backup and Data Mirroring (optional)
b) Power savings (you don't need a PC to be on)
c) Dedicated Centralized location for all your data

One can build their own power efficient NAS within 10K using Intel Atom processor. You can add upto 4 hard-disks. For RAID and other NAS features, run Windows Home Server or FreeNas on Linux depending on your requirement.

Hi Santosh, George, et all...

Can I join in as well this Saturday? Srinisundar earlier was suggesting that I take my Oppo BDP-83 to your place for checking out its capabilities. Can this be accommodated in Saturday's agenda? Do let me know and I will come armed with the Oppo. If not this Saturday, then maybe next weekend... no issues.

I donno if I did the right thing by getting Oppo first before any other A/V stuff :eek:hyeah: What is done is done...

BTW, where are you located @ in Bangalore.

Cheers,
S.
Sinister, I would love to do a detailed comparison between the Oppo and my PS3 Slim but I am afraid we will not have sufficient time that day. I have another appointment to keep and have to leave home at 5PM that day. If you don't mind, can we do it another day? If you are interested in a Home Theater construction, Acoustic treatments etc, feel free to join George that day.

About your Oppo purchase, I would look at it like this. You bought the Oppo when you had a chance. Everything else is available here except the Oppo, so just go ahead and buy the rest and enjoy:)

About your Oppo purchase, I would look at it like this. You bought the Oppo when you had a chance. Everything else is available here except the Oppo, so just go ahead and buy the rest and enjoy:)

And the Oppo happens to be one of the best players in the world irrespective of price. So there is nothing to feel bad about.

Cheers

And the Oppo happens to be one of the best players in the world irrespective of price. So there is nothing to feel bad about.

Cheers
Yup, without a doubt, I know the Oppo will beat my PS3 Slim hands down. The comparo will help me understand what I am missing out on:).

Santhosh

I have 3 systems at home, yes three:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Let me spell out:

One is on the first floor landing, next to my NAS, running on Linux (Fedora Version 12) the second on the first floor landing running WinXP, and the third, is to be installed in the basement. Tis runs Win XP and has a problem is getting fixed, coming this afternoon.I expect to shift my NAS and maybe my PCH there and connect them t a router. I have a few Buffalo wireless station handly that I may put to use as well.

My plan is to run system 2 and 3 for my use and system 1 in the first floor guest bedroom( for visitors who dont have their own laptops) for email and simple browsing, running wirelessly, since my wired network was by error not extended there. System 2 and 3 are Dual Core/Core 2 Duo, and I need to have familiar interfaces, which I have so far been used to, using Windows.

I dont feel like spending $$ on a Win license at this time, so I am willing to see if I can get some user friendly Linux based interfaces installed on it. I dont mind spending a limited time to master the basics of Linux, but as a former senior management guy I dont have the patience to get into nitty gritty;);) For applications that need me to use Windows I will use System 3 no problem there.

George

PS This thread is now becoming a real monster sizewise..

George - given that you already are running Ubuntu and Fedora Core12 on your machines, why are you looking for another variant of Linux? Is there something missing with your present distributions? Or is there some other specific need?

Sinister, I would love to do a detailed comparison between the Oppo and my PS3 Slim but I am afraid we will not have sufficient time that day. I have another appointment to keep and have to leave home at 5PM that day. If you don't mind, can we do it another day? If you are interested in a Home Theater construction, Acoustic treatments etc, feel free to join George that day.

I will not be able to make it this Saturday as something else has come up. Like you mentioned, we can do it some other time. So, do let me know when we can check this out. BTW, where are you located at?

About my Oppo purchase as such, I really have no issues. It is just that I don't have the support staff in place(or is Oppo the support staff) for getting the best out of Oppo.

Cheers,
Sreedhar.

I am accessing from india directly ! may be there is a firewall on your lan that filtered .

letz take the issue to another thread ...

This is what I get-does not appear to be a firewall issue is'nt it?
"Sorry, we cannot serve up the page you requested!
If you are trying to reach the Digital Forum and have arrived at this page, then please read the following.

In order to stop an onslaught of spam and poor behaviour on the Digital Forum, Digital Home has been forced to deny access to a wide range of IP addresses from outside of North America and a few inside North America. Without these bans, Digital Home would be overwhelmed by hundreds of spammers a day from Russia and the former Soviet republics, Germany, India, China, Korea and many countries in Africa.

It is likely that you may have been caught in our attempts to stop would be spammers.

Are you in North America?
If you are in North America and you are being blocked from the Digital Home then please send an email to query at digitalhome.ca to notify us. Send us your Name, IP address, company, and city your are in and we will ensure that you can access the Digital Forum. Without this information, we are unable to assist you.

Are you outside North America?
Unfortunately, if you are outside of North America, there is little we can do to help you. In our research, we have found that over 99% of posts made by members outside of North America were simply spam. The problem was so bad that our volunteer moderators were spending hours a day dealing with the problem manually.

Since our site is primarily aimed at Canadians the IP ban is our only method for reducing vast amounts of spam and cannot be lifted. We apologize but hope you understand.

Digital Home Canada "

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back