Bangalore HFV Meet?

When do we meet for HFV Blr -1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nice inputs Venkat. I will wait for atleast 10 ppl to say yes, then add a poll for the date. I feel the lesser time we give people to mull its better.

Can we get the dealer members to sponsor the location :) ARN/Absolute phase, anyone listening?

Hi
We were planning to do something similar - open it to all members as a get together, however we can do this only after our showroom rennovation work is done, perhaps in another month. I will keep you folks informed. I wasnt thinking along the lines of a projector, etc but to keep it focussed on 1 or 2 items in each session like

1. Speaker Placement - live example of how soundstage, imaging, etc get affected
2. Run through freq tests, demonstrate how freq varies in the room, etc

The idea was to make it brand independent, however for live demonstrations we will have to use the equipment/brands we carry.

the list is endless

cheers

hi friends,

a bangalore meet is a great idea.

my demo room is small to accommodate the large number of members we have from here, otherwise i would be happy to host.

anyways i can help with equipment audition,

lets see how it goes

regards,
abhishek

Hi
We were planning to do something similar - open it to all members as a get together, however we can do this only after our showroom rennovation work is done, perhaps in another month. I will keep you folks informed. I wasnt thinking along the lines of a projector, etc but to keep it focussed on 1 or 2 items in each session like

1. Speaker Placement - live example of how soundstage, imaging, etc get affected

The idea was to make it brand independent, however for live demonstrations we will have to use the equipment/brands we carry.

the list is endless

cheers

Nice. We would all like to hear what you've got. Hearing different setups is the only way to "understand" what improvements we need in our own systems.

One idea I have is we can handout tabular scoring sheets to all visitors who converge - listing all the various attributes of SQ and later compare notes on how we novices mis-interpret or mis-identify the attributes or hear things differently and subjectively.

Cheers

Nice. We would all like to hear what you've got. Hearing different setups is the only way to "understand" what improvements we need in our own systems.

One idea I have is we can handout tabular scoring sheets to all visitors who converge - listing all the various attributes of SQ and later compare notes on how we novices mis-interpret or mis-identify the attributes or hear things differently and subjectively.

Cheers

bang-on, this was already part of our intention. You are absolutely right that we all talk different languages and its so subjective (in terms of what we hear), hopefully such exercises will all get us closer to talking the same language

cheers

i think we should not make it too technical, might be boring to many if it goes on for too long.

some bit of equipment audition should be interesting. great if sridhar (arn), prithvi (absolute phase), abhishek (audio dynamics), palani (audio planet) ...... come up together and arrange the whole thing. this way we may be able to listen to different equipment at the same place.

bang-on, this was already part of our intention. You are absolutely right that we all talk different languages and its so subjective (in terms of what we hear), hopefully such exercises will all get us closer to talking the same language

cheers

Unless you walkthrough specific examples of how imaging, soundstage, etc sound, you will get lots of erroneous data for such broad queries. Also, this would require the listeners to be in the sweet spot during auditions and like what they hear. While I understand the motivation for such an exercise, be prepared to deal with incorrect data in a big way.

A better alternative that takes longer effort but which will lead to cleaner data would be to get more specific across the frequency spectrum - eg., the high notes from 3:52 - 3:59 in Time to Say Goodbye by Sarah Brightman and Andrea bocelli, etc

Hi

the list is endless

cheers

this is perfect. i'd much much prefer a live demo rather than ppt presentation which might cover general ground which many of us already know and that can be covered here and is indeed covered here in the forum. after a few years in the hobby it kinda gets boring to keep covering the same ground of how to do this and how to do that. a live meet would be great to cover new ground! hearing changes happen live would be far more interesting.

no offence to ppt makers or venkat :)

regards

accordingly i have not voted. i'd prefer waiting for sridhar to host this event and actually shift speakers around, play frequency tracks, real music etc for us to listen to the difference.

however i'd love to meet everybody and if everybody does decide that they'd like a ppt presentation i'd drop in to meet everyone i havent met so far. in which case, 3rd is my vote.

i think we should not make it too technical, might be boring to many if it goes on for too long.

Yes...but at the same time, it would be nice if the technically inclined audiophiles demystify the fluff surrounding HiFi...

Practical tips on critical listening, equipment selection, matching, placements etc. may be very helpful for us low lives...we can read away to glory on these topics but to see and experience in first hand beats everything...

We don't need to cover everything in a day but we can take some simple stuff...

For example, if we meet up at a mamber's place, we could learn about the good things about equipment handlilng and placement and what could be done to improve...this we can immediately relate back to our own setup...then may just one of the comm members demo some of their stuff (speakers might be a problem to lug around) and explain the salient points...and one of the learned members takes up one aspect of our hobby and explain the nuances...

and the rest of the participants may contribute by pooling in for refreshments and the cleaning up after :D

we can read away to glory on these topics but to see and experience in first hand beats everything...

exactly :) if its some point being explained, have it explained via ppt and then demoed out. but only a ppt presentation gives one gyan without physical understanding, and that to my mind is a pity cos a live meet has plenty of scope to deliver real experience to everyone so lets not miss this aspect of meeting up. thanks for helping me clarify my point :)

regards

EDIT: eg one could debate for hours on how vinyl is superior to cd and present a ppt on the technical reasons why one should get into vinyl but those who havent listened to lps yet or are on the fence would benefit far more by listening to sridhar/abhishek playing a few lps on the vpi/project tables and then members would be able to make up their own minds about whether lps are for them or not.

Last edited:
Carrying a name on shirt/t-shirt will help if you are planning to post pics of the meet. (Just like Shaizada's meet).
And will be convenient in the meet also.
Hiten

I have a suggestion. Most of the people will be out of station because of XMas and NewYear and those vacations were planned way ahead. So could you please postpone it to January starting from 2nd week. I will be on vacation from Dec 24th to Jan 3rd. I can join if it is on Dec13th or Dec20th.

Carrying a name on shirt/t-shirt will help if you are planning to post pics of the meet. (Just like Shaizada's meet).
And will be convenient in the meet also.
Hiten

We can go a step further! At the risk of making 'us' complete nuts, how about we introduce something like this for HFV?

1536965v13_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg
1535949v6_350x350_Back.jpg

PS: Mods, not sure about the policies for linking other forums; if inappropriate please delete this.

Can we do it this Sunday the 13th of December? There seems to be enough support for it. We can do a second one, post mid Jan.

Since the projector is a concern, we can do with a LCD TV and I can get my laptop if we need to show a presentation.

Any suggestions for a place?

I kinda agree with Stevie here. A power point presentation is not my cup of tea. However if we meet in someone's demo room or gather and listen to someone's setup, its a way more fruitful experience. My listening room is rather small to accommodate 20 odd people else I'd have gladly volunteered.

There should be a listening session, no doubt in that. But it should be along with some theoretical sessions like Venkat did in Chennai meet. Atleast the basic theoretical know how will help in auditioning or improving one's current setup. If we fully concentrate on demo, it will become a commercial demo and that we can get it in audio shops also.

We can go a step further! At the risk of making 'us' complete nuts, how about we introduce something like this for HFV?
Actually I was talking of putting person's name on shirt. If large no. of fellow members turnout will save time to introduce/recognizing each other.
Hifivision.com T-Shirts is good idea also, will only make this website more popular :)

Last edited:
I think we are deviating a bit. We need to finalise a place first. Going by the poll there are only 5 or 6 ppl interested in the dates of 13th Dec or 3rd Jan. That seems a very small number, we could then meet up at a listening room too and assuming twice the number land up too, we should be ok.

I think we are deviating a bit. We need to finalise a place first. Going by the poll there are only 5 or 6 ppl interested in the dates of 13th Dec or 3rd Jan. That seems a very small number, we could then meet up at a listening room too and assuming twice the number land up too, we should be ok.

I am also in SUD been away from this forum for a while coz I was kinda getting addicted to it. saw this thread and knew I have to be there for this one,we tried one meeting similar to this but tht got canceled at the last moment .

PPT presentations from Venkat and other experts in the forum wud be welcome coz there are a lot of members here who needs to know the basics before they take the plunge. Other sr members who were against(or who was not interested in one) the ppt presentations and such can also contribute positively to tht by putting forth their ideas and experiences on the subject being discussed during the presentations.

Auditioning equipments should be the second step in my opinion coz after the presentations & discussions jr members or members who are less knowledgeable wud have a better understanding of what to look for in a equipment they are listening.

@Venkat you are very much welcome to blr and you can very well stay at my place when you are here. If you are here by bus or train my house is close enough the stations.If you are coming down by flight the airport is closer to Hyderabad than blr so you can check out accomodation there :)

@ everyone else do try and make this happen we dont need to plan big for the first one atleast a meeting of members and can take it from there as to what to do for the subsequent meetings. T-shirt in the sites name with also is a gud idea but first lets all meet.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back