bannana plugs.

manu4panjab

hey bros.

right now i'm connecting my speakers to avr directly bare wire ,does connecting by using banana plugs improve sound quality

Listening on empty stomach can be detrimental to SQ experienced.

Try these ... :D

cheers

Attachments

• banana.jpg
    banana.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 159
banana plugs lower sound quality. connect bare wire unless you need to connect and disconnect speakers frequently like in a demo room

banana plugs lower sound quality. connect bare wire unless you need to connect and disconnect speakers frequently like in a demo room

Bala

I thought they would take care of loose strands and improve contact with the terminals. I was thinking of using spades myself ...

Is there a consensus on this folks?

Regards

Bare wire oxidises and loses contact, and poor quality bananas work loose with time. Use single piece bananas (not the ones with the leaf spring contacts on the end) or an expanding type for best long-term fit. Spades offer the best electrical connection and are totally gas-tight, I would use them where long-term stability is a concern. Speaker pins also work very well when used in the slot where bare wire would go.

Crimped connections are better than solder, but normally speaker cables have a large number of very thin strands so crimping may damage the wire and cause loose contact over time. I just prefer solder.

Bare wire should be used only when there is no option of using bananas (solid center posts) and quality spades are not available. Be sure to tighten connections once a few months, and clean off the the wire ends when doing this.

This is not about sound quality (not directly) you are looking at a connection that is airtight and stays locked down. If you don't plan to move your speakers around or change connections very often, bare wire will work fine as long as your binding post ensures it does not work loose. Most posts I've seen require retightening, and oxidise the wire even at the contact point (=not gas-tight).
Hi cranky, using bananas is the right way. spades need tightening very often. we can totally avoid oxidation even with bare wire by using multipurpose(sewing machine oil). The very best is using SOLUTION by VanDenHul.

well,i have seen castrol light grease (high temperature) being used for contacts on high voltage electrical breakers (switch-overs)

if you are using bananas, then remove and re-insert at least twice a week to freshen the contact - the contact is usually at two minute (opposite) points and oxygen is always available in the vicinity!:)

well,i have seen castrol light grease (high temperature) being used for contacts on high voltage electrical breakers (switch-overs)

if you are using bananas, then remove and re-insert at least twice a week to freshen the contact - the contact is usually at two minute (opposite) points and oxygen is always available in the vicinity!:)

do we really need to reconnect once or twice a week if we have banana plugs

if we don't do this does this effect the sound or not :rolleyes:

do we really need to reconnect once or twice a week if we have banana plugs

if we don't do this does this effect the sound or not :rolleyes:

hi manu4panjab,

just as one hones a knife before slitting the jugular with clinical precision (and with least collateral damage), just so, should one freshen copper contacts at regular intervals for best performance:)

bheja_fry06-2.JPG

No no no to oils or other lubricants for connection. This will affect sound quality and makes the binding posts messy. Stick to spades or banana plugs as easy, safe route for good connections. Also with the way the new AVRs binding posts are located and built, it is a PITA to connect wire directly

Hi Guys,
I too would not use any lubricants on the connectors but would clean the spade/banana and the binding post with ISO Alco often enough.
IMO a decent banana or spade preferably soldered is good. Make sure the spade Fits your amplifier and speakers and there is enough contact pressure with the banana or it defeats the purpose.
Bare wire is great and sounds great naturally and one can keep snipping off the ends and expose some copper from time to time.
A connector IMO cannot sound better. A good connector will sound as good and a poor (tons of locally available, shiny gold ones) will degrade sound as they loose contact pressure soon enough.
Rgds

I'm planning to use locally made copper spades. Will using Brasso occasionally remove any oxidation that forms on the contacts?

TIA
Regards

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back