Baru X5 Google Android Smart IPTV Box 1080p VS. Himedia HD900B Vs WD Live TV

gsajal

Hi Guys

A Noob here, i have spent the last four hours going through the various threads on this forum and have also read the reviews of several owners of Hi Media 600B.

I am looking forward to buy a Media Player primarily to play video files in different formats and HD too from my portable hard disks and for this i am looking for a good media player.

I have read a lot about the HiMedia and WD Live and just recently i came across this android based media player - link - Baru X5 Google Android Smart IPTV TV Box 1080p HD Media Player

My question remains, which of these media players to go in for, considering they are more or less similarly priced.

Please please help me make up my mind.

Last edited:
list down ur requirement for the players like if you need 3D playback ? HD audio streaming ? etc

and most importantly ur budget

what is ur existing setup, do you have a 3D tv ? AVR ? 5.1 speakers ?

list down ur requirement for the players like if you need 3D playback ? HD audio streaming ? etc

and most importantly ur budget

what is ur existing setup, do you have a 3D tv ? AVR ? 5.1 speakers ?

I am really sorry for not detailing the requirements earlier. My existing set up includes a Sony Bravia 46" LCD TV and i am planning to shortly buy a 5.1 Channel home theatre system. The TV is fully HD and i don't have a clue about HD audio streaming. 3D playback is not a requirement at this stage. Regarding the budget, i am ready to shell out anywhere between INR 8,000 - 12,000.

Regarding the hard disks - i have three portable hard disks 500 GB - Seagate, 500 GB - Iomega and a 500 GB Acer portable external hard disks.

Also i have a wifi connection at home for connecting it with any of these media players .

Last edited:
in that budget Himedia HD900B and WD Live TV both suits you, just the 900b is 3D compatible while WD is not, 900B has some good customisation and supports almost all formats

but WD is also good, if in future 3D is not ur requirement then audition both of them in some store and play some files from ur local storage to check urself which one suits u most

in that budget Himedia HD900B and WD Live TV both suits you, just the 900b is 3D compatible while WD is not, 900B has some good customisation and supports almost all formats

but WD is also good, if in future 3D is not ur requirement then audition both of them in some store and play some files from ur local storage to check urself which one suits u most

You didn't say anything about the X5 google android smart IPTV box with 1080p resolution. I have been told that an android based media player could be good with so many apps around.

You didn't say anything about the X5 google android smart IPTV box with 1080p resolution. I have been told that an android based media player could be good with so many apps around.

I am not aware of this media player, in himedia you can install some android app...

if you are looking for app to stream videos which is the primary use of android in these media players then you get youtube etc app built in

there is one option which is by default set to 5.1 core, you have to set it to 7.1 HD (I dont remember that option in audio setup)

just check once and set it to 7.1 HD audio pass through

there is one option which is by default set to 5.1 core, you have to set it to 7.1 HD (I dont remember that option in audio setup)

just check once and set it to 7.1 HD audio pass through

Today I followed what saj2001ind posted & I could get DTS-HD out-

hello !

a trivial noob question. OT, but pls allow me to put it forth :)

could someone pls tell in short, technicalities apart, how could one differentiate between DTS-HD, dolby trueHD, DTS, AC3 digital surround sound, DTS-HD master audio, etc, a variety of audio-codecs, based on hearing ONLY, without the aid of an AVR ? i mean, ok its difficult to explain things which you hear, in words, but if you would want to explain to someone in simplistic & practical terms, what would you tell ? which of these would constitute a good listening experience on a 5.1 system, and are the codecs inter-convertible (this i think isnt possible) ?

dont know how i framed this up....sorry if it seems incoherent :eek:

hello !

a trivial noob question. OT, but pls allow me to put it forth :)

could someone pls tell in short, technicalities apart, how could one differentiate between DTS-HD, dolby trueHD, DTS, AC3 digital surround sound, DTS-HD master audio, etc, a variety of audio-codecs, based on hearing ONLY, without the aid of an AVR ? i mean, ok its difficult to explain things which you hear, in words, but if you would want to explain to someone in simplistic & practical terms, what would you tell ? which of these would constitute a good listening experience on a 5.1 system, and are the codecs inter-convertible (this i think isnt possible) ?

dont know how i framed this up....sorry if it seems incoherent :eek:

first of all if you dont have good quality speakers and an AVR these will sound the same, and also there is no point comparing these hidef audio without having proper equipment, if you are only going to differentiate them based on listening

now for technical aspects there are a lot of material available you can google

High-Def FAQ: Blu-ray and HD DVD Audio Explained | High-Def Digest

If you can read and understand you are half way there.:p

i posted just because i couldnt take the information overload from google ;)

but this link lays down the info in quite a friendly manner. thanks for this page !

first of all if you dont have good quality speakers and an AVR these will sound the same, and also there is no point comparing these hidef audio without having proper equipment, if you are only going to differentiate them based on listening

now for technical aspects there are a lot of material available you can google

i decided to post my query after a brief movie-session y'day. i was watching some DVDs. now my 5.1 system plays sound through all the speakers when watching a movie, irrespective of whether the video file is encoded in surround sound or not. but, for videos that have audio-codecs like DTS trueHD or DTS-HD, etc, the sound through the satellites (esp. the rear ones) is very crisp, clear and life-like, whereas for non-surround movies, the (rear) satellites still play sound, albeit far from being near-pristine (i havent observed this on my other 5.1 system, so i think its particular to the model in subject).

while watching the DVDs y'day, my hall was really roaring loud with sound ! i had been observing this characteristic of my 5.1 system, and now was the moment that i decided i need to understand about it, because having no AVR, my ears are the only way through which i could judge whether the video file has a good sound encoding or not (ofcourse, apart from checking about the movie-info on my PC).

but anyway, from the link provided above, i think i would stand at a better position in understanding the concept(s).

which 5.1 system you have ?

the HD audio improves a lot in every channels though

AVR does matters but most important is the quality of speakers, ideally the gurus suggest to spend less on AVR (but yeah get it to decode HD codecs) and 3/4 of ur budget on good quality speakers

which 5.1 system you have ?

the HD audio improves a lot in every channels though

AVR does matters but most important is the quality of speakers, ideally the gurus suggest to spend less on AVR (but yeah get it to decode HD codecs) and 3/4 of ur budget on good quality speakers

i have this system :

F5090 5.1 home theatre speaker | 5.1 Speaker System

not a much-known brand (though aggressively making its presence felt; a new company, but the few owners of f&d products could vouch for them), but these speakers would really give you a pleasant jolt for the SQ (movies) they provide you at their price-point :clapping:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back