Bass solution needed..

ambush

Currently i have a stereo Philips system. Its over 20 years old, but the response of this thing is great. Only thing is that bass is low. So, i want to add a subwoofwer.

What is the cheapest way i can go about doing this.

As i see it, i have these options.
1) Go for an active sub.
2) Go for a passive sub and add an amplifier.
3) Buy a driver and build a cab.

Is there any solution that comes under 3.5K

Some queries-

#My amplifier doesn't have sub out. So, i will need a way to split the signal that goes to the sub. Can i use a passive splitter for this -- like a headphone splitter. Or is there any other dirt cheap alternatives?

#If i go for a passive or a custom build, i would need an amplifier. So, what kind of amplifer would i need. Would i get one in my meager budget? Can i use a regular amplifier and then build a passive LPF to put in front of the driver. If i can do the latter, what kind of wattage do i need if i use a 6" driver.

#If i go for a passive. Can i get some used 2.1 multimedia speakers and use the built in amp on that to drive my passive sub as well as my LR by way of rewiring? This one might be dumb.

Now, i am very low on budget, so i am not looking for the setup. I just need some thing that works.
My budget is 3.5K.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I dont know what's a cheaper solution than a splitter, unless you want to open it up and solder two lead wires. Multimedia speakers is,IMHO, the only way to go in your budget.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back