Bass Traps

panditji

Has anyone tried these?

I do not want to put corner bass traps permanently in the room and feel I can put a couple of these at two corners and remove them when guests come over.. Wanted to know if they work as advertised...

Also wanted to know if the below cubes need to be placed at the corners only for them to be effective or can be placed near the corners or random spots along the walls in the room albeit with reduced effectiveness? Also at what height do we need stack them up to trap the low frequencies or can they be placed on the floor only to absorb the low frequencies?

https://www.auralexchange.com/product/nankarrow-neocube-soundproofing-acoustic-bass-trap-set/

I do not want to put anything on the walls except the wooden diffusors but then they don't serve any purpose in my room...

If possible try bass traps on the four corners where walls and ceiling meets. Its easy to keep them permanently there and they work better there. No amount of bass traps are enough ever in any room.

Don't want to do anything on the walls above eye level as it makes the room look like a studio... Aesthetics are more important for me as you can judge from my equipment buying decisions over the years.. Can live with lower SPL levels but the room should look like a living room...
I think you should ignore these traps and live without them. Unless there is a burning issue which you cant live with, there is no point in adding some standalone bass traps in random locations.

Don't want to do anything on the walls above eye level as it makes the room look like a studio... Aesthetics are more important for me as you can judge from my equipment buying decisions over the years.. Can live with lower SPL levels but the room should look like a living room...

If that is the case then i think instead of getting a bass trap you should get a good looking diffusion panel behind speakers. Unfortunately bass builds up on corners of cube mostly so bass traps at those places should be first targets if bass is a problem. A diffuser behind speakers could be more useful in your case. Will expand soundstage and solidify the image. Anything you try, try behind speakers first maybe thats all you need.

...Aesthetics are more important for me as you can judge from my equipment buying decisions over the years.. Can live with lower SPL levels but the room should look like a living room...

basstrap.jpg

These in a room matching color might be an unintrusive option. In black though, these are going to be an eyesore for sure! Maybe if you spray paint them? But then again, spray paint might block the fine pores in the panel; making them perhaps less effective? Wonder if anyone tried it.

I thought the Lyngdorf amplifier was supposed to do the room correction duties...mitigating the need for room treatment

Those wooden diffusors are the only thing I can put behind the speakers but the mids and high frequencies are not a problem.. Its the lower frequencies which are spoiling the mids and corner traps are the only way to trap them... So while those diffusors may look nice and do some work on the mids and highs, they would still be useless in trapping the corner bass... So I have bought nice Areca Palm plants to put in the corners and maybe try and put something behind them in the corners to hide... So was hoping to fit those free standing Hertz cylindrical bass traps which can easily be removed and kept in another room when needed...

Can you provide some pics of your room as well as dimensions and what are the other items in the room in terms of furniture and furnishings?

If you can, borrow a measuring mic and run a sweep to identify if there are issues and the nature of the same.

I thought the Lyngdorf amplifier was supposed to do the room correction duties...mitigating the need for room treatment

It cannot do much about room nodes and the lowest bass frequencies.. The mids and highs are corrected superbly and therefore I am not looking at the diffusors...

View attachment 49184

These in a room matching color might be an unintrusive option. In black though, these are going to be an eyesore for sure! Maybe if you spray paint them? But then again, spray paint might block the fine pores in the panel; making them perhaps less effective? Wonder if anyone tried it.

They can easily be hidden behind sofas and maybe in random places or 2 of the corners behind plant pots...Not sure of their effectiveness if placed in random places on the floor behind sofas and sides of sofas.. Could you let me know if they make any difference if placed on the floor in the room at random spots close to the corners and side walls.. Would be grateful for your feedback sir...

Pictures of all four sides... Dont know what and how to measure or what to make of those measurements.. the Nankarrow cubes can be placed on atleast one side of the sofas as well as the front corners hidden by plants.. and they are cheap as well so not much of a cost for experimenting...

Attachments

• IMG_20200901_130955.jpg
    IMG_20200901_130955.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20200901_130936.jpg
    IMG_20200901_130936.jpg
    963.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20200901_130840.jpg
    IMG_20200901_130840.jpg
    914.4 KB · Views: 150
Has anyone tried these?

I do not want to put corner bass traps permanently in the room and feel I can put a couple of these at two corners and remove them when guests come over.. Wanted to know if they work as advertised...

Also wanted to know if the below cubes need to be placed at the corners only for them to be effective or can be placed near the corners or random spots along the walls in the room albeit with reduced effectiveness? Also at what height do we need stack them up to trap the low frequencies or can they be placed on the floor only to absorb the low frequencies?

https://www.auralexchange.com/product/nankarrow-neocube-soundproofing-acoustic-bass-trap-set/

I do not want to put anything on the walls except the wooden diffusors but then they don't serve any purpose in my room...

There is no technical info on the product (NRC at different frequencies)..

This seems to be of foam variety.. Foams, usually are more dense (lesser air flow thru the acoustic material) and does very little at very low freq absorption..

If possible try to get NRC & technical specs of the acoustic material from the e-portal.. This would fairly help evaluate if foams can help to trap bass..

It cannot do much about room nodes and the lowest bass frequencies.. The mids and highs are corrected superbly and therefore I am not looking at the diffusors...

Normally .. room modes / 1st reflection points and tri corners should be treated to take care of the lower freq and that will free up the mids and highs as well.

They can easily be hidden behind sofas and maybe in random places or 2 of the corners behind plant pots...Not sure of their effectiveness if placed in random places on the floor behind sofas and sides of sofas.. Could you let me know if they make any difference if placed on the floor in the room at random spots close to the corners and side walls.. Would be grateful for your feedback sir...
Placing them randomly across the room wouldn't be of use, IMHO.
My approach was in line with yours from an aesthetic point of view.

Dont place them randomly. They would be most effective only at corners. Oth placing at some other place might cause issues with sound. If you use cylindrical, they would need to be present in the corners where walls meet, in where the plants are i think. Once your bass and echo is fixed, mids are automatically cleaned up. But in your case you need to balance between aesthetics , place them on where they can be removed easily. Best way will be to try only in the room.

Thank you all for the suggestions... Will keep looking, reading and experimenting...
I have been using corner rockwool chunk traps made by myself for many years now in the two corners behind the speaker's. When I had the usher floorstanders they tightened up the midbass but we're not much effective for bass modes. When I installed the harbeth p3esr on the same locations as the ushers (cardass placement) I thought the bass traps won't be needed but I was wrong . I couldn't take them out for even 2 mins. But the bass mode issue has vanished. My room is 12× 14 ft.Hence i feel bass traps are useless for bass modes but are excellent for midbass tightening which automatically translates into a truer mid range.

Last edited:
@panditji, have you considered minidsp? It is quite easy to use.

The option I chose was using https://www.auralexchange.com/product/knauf-ecose-50mm-acoustic-glass-wool-roll-284-sq-ft-24kg-m3/
(I use 48kg not 24kg)
One can buy a roll and cut it into slabs or smaller rolls, then wrap these rolls like bolsters or make panels covered with fabric of your choice. Panels will need help of a carpenter. It's an inexpensive option and you can experiment placing them in various locations. This is what I'm doing and guests just think it's part of the decor.

Asutosh of aural exchange is also very knowledgeable and helpful
Best wishes
IMG_20200729_103801-01.jpeg
IMG_20200904_193333-01.jpeg

Last edited:
@panditji, have you considered minidsp? It is quite easy to use.

The option I chose was using https://www.auralexchange.com/product/knauf-ecose-50mm-acoustic-glass-wool-roll-284-sq-ft-24kg-m3/
(I use 48kg not 24kg)
One can buy a roll and cut it into slabs or smaller rolls, then wrap these rolls like bolsters or make panels covered with fabric of your choice. Panels will need help of a carpenter. It's an inexpensive option and you can experiment placing them in various locations. This is what I'm doing and guests just think it's part of the decor.

Asutosh of aural exchange is also very knowledgeable and helpful
Best wishes
View attachment 49300
View attachment 49301

Sir, the rolled up bolsters is an excellent idea.. Won't put panels unless I am able to get some nice prints pasted on those frames but the rolls are an excellent idea.. I would just need to be careful that the chemicals should not be able to come out of the rolls..Can you PM me your number so I could call you and discuss .

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back