Bass Traps

Sir, the rolled up bolsters is an excellent idea.. Won't put panels unless I am able to get some nice prints pasted on those frames but the rolls are an excellent idea.. I would just need to be careful that the chemicals should not be able to come out of the rolls..Can you PM me your number so I could call you and discuss .
Time to turn on the artistic tap @panditji
Pick up that easel and brush, if need be.

Cheers,
Raghu

Sir, the rolled up bolsters is an excellent idea.. Won't put panels unless I am able to get some nice prints pasted on those frames but the rolls are an excellent idea.. I would just need to be careful that the chemicals should not be able to come out of the rolls..Can you PM me your number so I could call you and discuss .
Be aware that if they are going to be rolled up and squished like in the product photograph, they are losing much of their effect.

I know but how are they in rolled up bolsters? Squished or unsquished? If unsquished, you're fine.
It is compressed when supplied to make transportation easier. After opening it expands about ten fold. You don't need to compress it when you cover it in a bolster. You can't even if you wanted to, unless you try very hard :)

Last edited:
@panditji While checking for vibration control options for my friend's setup, came across bass traps mentioned in the soundfoundations website (info looks to be outdated with no pictures of bass traps). I don't remember posts by FMs on using bass traps or absorbers from soundfoundations, which is quite surprising given their popularity! Worth checking with @magma if they are still being made & how they look like.

I don't think they are doing it anymore looking at the pictures of the Ultra bass traps in the link.. Also I would like to avoid putting anything on the wall as the Lyngdorf would be unemployed since cleaning up the mids and highs is it's bloody job... I am only interested in controlling the low frequencies even if just a little which automatically cleans up everything else....

One of the FM's had got a roll-on bass trap built. They were a pair of two 8 inch traps built at around 5 feet high and 4 feet wide. He used to use it only while listening and rest of the time they were moved away. Maybe you can try something like it.

If you are a bit more creative, any print on a canvas works and looks great and you have have the bass trap material (rockwool,...) inside it. I did one of thos with movie poster prints you can choose your flavour.

Other ways of hiding them is putting it in the ceiling a bit like Elangoas had done or under the sofa. As typically bass absorption esp. if you are looking at under 250hz needs serious thickness.

Exactly my plan sir... Absorption material under the sofas and removable cylinder bass traps as Kishore has gotten made to be removed whenever required...
Even I have been planning getting made bass traps and other acoustic panels for the wall but the only thing that is preventing me to jump in is that I am very particular about the aesthetic quotient. I need something which doesn't make the living room look like a studio. Plus my aesthetic sense wants a minimalistic design, which is subtle and veers towards the mid-century modern theme. Recently, I got venetian blinds made for a big glass window on the the rear wall (wrt the setup). That was also delayed from my end for many months because I didn't want a print which makes the room looks smaller and yet retains the spaciousness and airiness. Finally, I could find an understated light brown, almost jute like self print material. I have come to realise that in India, finding understated and subtle things is the hardest!!

Even I have been planning getting made bass traps and other acoustic panels for the wall but the only thing that is preventing me to jump in is that I am very particular about the aesthetic quotient. I need something which doesn't make the living room look like a studio. Plus my aesthetic sense wants a minimalistic design, which is subtle and veers towards the mid-century modern theme. Recently, I got venetian blinds made for a big glass window on the the rear wall (wrt the setup). That was also delayed from my end for many months because I didn't want a print which makes the room looks smaller and yet retains the spaciousness and airiness. Finally, I could find an understated light brown, almost jute like self print material. I have come to realise that in India, finding understated and subtle things is the hardest!!
Thats cuz we are in Delhi. Shopping for furniture is a nightmare as well since most things available at reasonable prices are gaudy unless you know where to look and are willing to put in the time.

Thats cuz we are in Delhi. Shopping for furniture is a nightmare as well since most things available at reasonable prices are gaudy unless you know where to look and are willing to put in the time.
Yeah man, Delhi is on steroids with every aspect of life and I mean it in a bad way. Whether it is people's tempers or gaudiness with aesthetics. Most times my reactions to things are 'Oh my Gaud'!!. Ironically, those are the only things that sell.

Hi,
In the context of excessive, uncontrolled or uneven bass, I thought it would be useful to share my personal experience that, in my room, it was not the corners that were responsible, but the open spaces in my equipment rack, below the speakers and the passage leading away from the living room. When these were attended to, corners became irrelevant. This is not to say that corners are benign, but just to add that there are other variables.

Cheers!

any print on a canvas works and looks great and you have have the bass trap material (rockwool,...) inside it. I did one of thos with movie poster prints you can choose your flavour.
Just to reconfirm, is canvas with an oil print/paint on it transparent from an aural perspective? Will sound pass through the canvas with oil?

Just to reconfirm, is canvas with an oil print/paint on it transparent from an aural perspective? Will sound pass through the canvas with oil?
LF passes through solid walls. No worries about passing through oil/canvas.
The idea of these panels are to allow sound energy to come in and then trap them.
The trapping happens by converting sound energy to heat in the rockwool and dissipate it.
Cheers,
Raghu

Like Raghupb mentioned, for LF it doesnt matter, but if you are building a broadband absorber (which is what practically most of us end up building), then there could be difference with oil/acrylic for HF.

The other factor to realise is that a 100Hz wavelength is 4 metres and a quarter wavelength is 1 Metre. So you need a depth of nearly 3 feet to make a difference in that frequency. Obviously if your issues are at lower Freq then you are looking at building deeper traps.
Check this for reference

Gik acoustics provides bass traps in panel shape. You can choose the designs and prints you want in case you want that option. They may not look bad on the wall. Bass panels behind the listener or behind the speakers works very well. The location depends on your room dimensions and listening position in relation to the walls.

GIK-Acoustics-Living-Room-Acoustic-Art-Panels-different-sizes.jpg

GIK-Acoustics-Art-Panel-Trade-show-510x327.jpg

What you see is probably the absorption panel but they apparently do this for their bass panels as well.

It is best to check with a professional.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that GIK has now again got back its India website and partner. They are nice looking but they are super expensive.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back