BDP (Blu-Ray) for 4 lac system

ChetanSouthMumbai

Hi I have a HDTV 42" LCD Sony W series and Onkyo 875 Receiver, with B&W CDM speakers + sub etc. in a 5.1 layout. I need a BDP With sufficient audio clarity and retrieval for this sytem, naturally will feed the HDMI to the amp for digital processing.

Will play a lot of music DVDs and movies on this system and not many music CDs. Am building up a blu-ray DVD collection so picture and sound quality on the player should match that of the system. Please suggest models and prices (grey market or official - whatever).

+1 oppo bdp. the abt2010 will also make your dvds look awesome.
+ its a sacd/dcd-a player
only con is its not region free but region a locked

BTW where did u get the 42inch sony for since sony only sells 40inch lcds in asia and europe.

everyone will claim this, and hopefully there will be hacks for all of them, but yes, perhaps you can be more cautious and wait for the hacks to come out before purchasing, but buying the BD83 is still probably your best option.

Yes the 981 is not as good for audio as the 980 and 983, and the BD83 should be at least comparable to the latter two.

Oppo said they will region lock this BDP (no bypass) :sad:so Indians can forget about it.

Am presenting using an OPPO 981 I think it upscales to 1080P but want blu-ray now. Sounds so-so could be better in my next player.

Yes the 981 is not as good for audio as the 980 and 983, and the BD83 should be at least comparable to the latter two.

As i had written somewhere before, initial reviews of the BD83 are disappointing in terms of it's music delivery as compared to the 980 and 983.

I only hope that before the trial runs are over, Oppo remove these bugs. They are supposed to exactly the same circuitry for CD audio. I wonder what could have gone wrong.

Cheers

why are you looking for cheap options? For that kind of system 4 lakhs, you need a good bdp. Go for quality and not for features. Buy the top model from Denon.

Oppo said they will region lock this BDP (no bypass) :sad:so Indians can forget about it.

Am presenting using an OPPO 981 I think it upscales to 1080P but want blu-ray now. Sounds so-so could be better in my next player.

Chetan, take a relook at Oppo, if possible. It has garnered 98% in Secrets test and the region lock issue has also been solved with a simple firmware. At least for FullHD Audio and video, it will beat all other players hands down.

Cheers

It is not possible to audition the Oppo unless you come across someone who owns it.

The Oppo BD83 is one of these rare units that you can buy without an audition. It has been given good reviews all around including Stereophile. I think you can buy it without any audition. I picked up the Oppo 983 without any audition, and I am very happy with it. The BD83 takes forward the legacy of the 983 and has been built well and tested extensively.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back