Benchmark DAC

venkatk

I would like to know if any FM use benchmark DAC, their opinions, since they have rave reviews and seem to be value for money. personal user opinion will be very helpful.

I did an AB of the Benchmark with a Nuforce Icon a few days ago. I am soon gonna post a detailed report. Here is the summary if you want to know in a hurry.

If you want an as-it-is presentation of your recordings, Benchmark DAC 1 will not fail you. It's easily comparable to the best there is at that price. However, I raise a red flag on the Benchmark's top end. It's top end can get quite shrill in many setups.

I will soon post a detailed assessment in this thread http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/29939-evolution-acoustics-mmmicroone.html

I haven't had such a chance yet :sad:

But I keep looking. I mean I keep listening (auditioning), so it could come by sometime. However, most dealers tend to use Benchmark for most mid-priced set ups. Or go up into Ayre and Wadia. Bryston never gets a favor from dealers. Just my observation! :)

I haven't had such a chance yet :sad:

But I keep looking. I mean I keep listening (auditioning), so it could come by sometime. However, most dealers tend to use Benchmark for most mid-priced set ups. Or go up into Ayre and Wadia. Bryston never gets a favor from dealers. Just my observation! :)

But i have bryston DAC:) so looking for somebody who has heard against Benchmark.

But i have bryston DAC:) so looking for somebody who has heard against Benchmark.

Op & Mr Srinisundar.

This is cleanly my opinion, I have heard many dac's. it's been 3 decades I have left passive systems. What ever I have auditioned were with active's. hence this is my opinion.

Benchmark is no where near the Bryston, both theses dac were tested in alliance with USB bridge from stello and audiophilio. I just loved the sound from Bryston.

But

There is a new kid on block, which will put both above to shame, it's design is superior keeping in mind the jitter.only drawback is, even this dac needs a USB bridge.

Ess sabre based audiolab 8200dq.

Again each to his own

I have heard the audiolab with audire passive(my friend got them in sale), definitely sounded pathetic.when audiolab partnered with good active's you will run out of single malt.

Oak

Another food for thought is Wyred4Sound DAC2 build using the same ESS Sabre Ref 32 bit DAC chips in Audiolab DAC. There is also a tube based DAC using the same ESS DAC chip - Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus. Never heard any of them though. But I am considering W4S DAC2 + Oppo 93 vs new Oppo BDP 105 (again uses the same ESS DAC chip) :).

I wanted to go the active route too with EP CS 2.3 MKII. But came across some other brilliant passive speakers from Rethm (well they have a FET powered subwoofer section), Zu, Blumenhofer. I am now busy building my HT room. So my stereo upgrade will take a little while :).

-John.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back