Best DVD player iwth USB

Phillips 5996 has ample no of reviews abroad, and is a gr8 player, it has high speed usb port (2.0) , only problem is as of now i am unable to find it in stock in most of the places i inquired, so waiting for product to be locally available, then u just take ur portable hdd along, plug it in and enjoy,,,

Another point to make notice is that playing high speed flash drives, gives better performance during heavy graphic scenes where at times, pixellisation may happen , many users abroad who are using div x through usb have recommended using high speed flash drives along with the player, also u need to partition ur drive using Fat 32, ntfs won't work

Thats a good point.

I am myself trying to arrange for a 250 GB HDD from my friend and do some tests of my own on 1080-pk and now Phillips 5996. However i prefer 1080-pk as it has an optical out . I dont need dts on dvd player , my av reciever will be able to handle that . But the question is has anybody on this forum already tried out a high capacity hdd with 1080-pk or 5996 ?

Phillips 5996 has ample no of reviews abroad, and is a gr8 player, it has high speed usb port (2.0) , only problem is as of now i am unable to find it in stock in most of the places i inquired, so waiting for product to be locally available, then u just take ur portable hdd along, plug it in and enjoy,,,

Another point to make notice is that playing high speed flash drives, gives better performance during heavy graphic scenes where at times, pixellisation may happen , many users abroad who are using div x through usb have recommended using high speed flash drives along with the player, also u need to partition ur drive using Fat 32, ntfs won't work

Hi Dushie, can you please post some links of the Phillips 5996 Reviews. Thanks !!

Since nobody else is replying , My own update :D :-

Unable to arrange for a 250 gb hdd , I have plans to demo the 1080-PK and the LG DV 388 armed with a USB 8gb Flash Drive and a Multi session DVD :p . Will post results of my findings !!

Hi Illusion
Sorry i have been busy,
the are couple of audio forums where i read the posts on the same

like avforum and avs forum, also abroad it sells as model no 5992, so please go ahead and check the posts out for the same,

will try to post the links as and when i can ...

please do update on your test for samsung dvd 1080pk model as it is no where in stock in bangalore, also would be great if u can post the costing of the same

Plans got screwed up , torrential rain hit the city, so just stayed at home , lets c tomorrow maybe !

Hi Illusion

Here is the Thread -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021947&highlight=phillips+5992

Its huge and vast , go through it whenever you get time ...

Waiting for an update once you are able to test ...

I am myself looking to upgrde from my Samsug Hd 860 .

The 3 options i am looking at are samsung 1080pk, phillips 5996 & pioneer dv 610,

In Bangalore i am unable to audition the samsung and the Sony, for pioneer still have to look around

Last edited:
Though not relevant techically, or to the query posted, I have found it a GREAT convenience ( more so for the wife & family) to have a DVD player of the sasme brand as the TV, so that the DVD Remote also operates the TV. ( eg SONY)

Indian i do agree with you on the same, my current setup is samsung q9 plasma which i am using with my samsung hd 860, both can work on same remote, when connected using hdmi link, both can be turned on or off together too

Though not relevant techically, or to the query posted, I have found it a GREAT convenience ( more so for the wife & family) to have a DVD player of the sasme brand as the TV, so that the DVD Remote also operates the TV. ( eg SONY)

Correct but for that you dont need to buy the product of the same brand. For Ex :-

I have a Samsung 26inch LCD coupled with a Sony AV Reciever and a Phillips DVD player ( Now Replaced with Sony DVD Player) . I fed in the remote codes for both the LCD and the DVD player in the Universal Remote supplied by the Sony AV reciver and they worked flawlessly !! :) . This way you get the best of each brand without being bogged down by too many remotes. There is always the option of buying Universal Remotes such as those offered by Logitech...

Since nobody else is replying , My own update :D :-

Unable to arrange for a 250 gb hdd , I have plans to demo the 1080-PK and the LG DV 388 armed with a USB 8gb Flash Drive and a Multi session DVD :p . Will post results of my findings !!

Hi....
I'm eagerly awaiting your audition results on LG DV388 & Samsung 1080PK. I looked around few showrooms but not able to find both at same place. Pls let me know any updates

Hi....
I'm eagerly awaiting your audition results on LG DV388 & Samsung 1080PK. I looked around few showrooms but not able to find both at same place. Pls let me know any updates

Hi .I am not getting the time to go. I will try to go today to Ezone in South City Mall, its the newest ezone to open up but as per what I ahve read and researched I may go in for the Samsung 1080-pk . I am even considering the Phllips 5996 as I read a number of good reviews about the same.

Hi Illusion

Here is the Thread -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021947&highlight=phillips+5992

Its huge and vast , go through it whenever you get time ...

Waiting for an update once you are able to test ...

I am myself looking to upgrde from my Samsug Hd 860 .

The 3 options i am looking at are samsung 1080pk, phillips 5996 & pioneer dv 610,

In Bangalore i am unable to audition the samsung and the Sony, for pioneer still have to look around

Wow very informative thread dushie, thx a lot . Wonder is there any similar thread like this for the 1080-pk. have rules out pioneer as it is beyond budget.

nope, have not been able to find any posts or reviews for samsung 1080pk,

but with all the posts for philips 5996 and pioneer dv610,

both seem to be a good option, :)

Illusion said :

Correct but for that you dont need to buy the product of the same brand. For Ex :-

I have a Samsung 26inch LCD coupled with a Sony AV Reciever and a Phillips DVD player ( Now Replaced with Sony DVD Player) . I fed in the remote codes for both the LCD and the DVD player in the Universal Remote supplied by the Sony AV reciver and they worked flawlessly !! . This way you get the best of each brand without being bogged down by too many remotes. There is always the option of buying Universal Remotes such as those offered by Logitech...

COOL ! :cool:

Infact some of the advanced Remote Controls, can even be programmed for a Sequence of Events / commands, in response to the touch of a single button , eg :
1. Switch On TV, then
2. Power On The DVD Player then..
3. Power On The HT Receiver then...
4. Play The DVD.

Last edited:
Illusion said :

COOL ! :cool:

Infact some of the advanced Remote Controls, can even be programmed for a Sequence of Events / commands, in response to the touch of a single button , eg :
1. Switch On TV, then
2. Power On The DVD Player then..
3. Power On The HT Receiver then...
4. Play The DVD.

Wow if that is possible then that sounds really great ( and also really lazy) .But just out of curiosity which remote has that capability, any model number ?

Last edited:
Hi....

Hi Manju, I did a demo yesterday of both the LG and the Samsung dvd players. First Impressions : LG is definitely better . I will put in a detailed review once I get back home(If my broadband is working). However I simply dont trust LG dvd players but the price of Rs 3.6k is not bad and I am now thinking otherwise. If this player last me 3 years I will be more than happy. I have ruled out Samsung . I intend to Demo phillips before i make a final decision. Is there nay exisiting user of LG dvd player particularly DN-192 ?

Last edited:
multiple command programming is called a macro on the remote control. so in case you guys have encountered them on your remotes, that's what it's for.. most AVR's above 60k including NAD, Arcam, Yamaha, Marantz, Denon all support macros.

Wow seems like the MS Excel macros that we use :). Thx for the info !

i think many of the popular universal remote models will support macros.....the ones in the logitech harmony series are supposed to be very good, although they require a bit of tweaking to get the best out of them.....

Wow seems like the MS Excel macros that we use :). Thx for the info !

Hi Manju, I did a demo yesterday of both the LG and the Samsung dvd players. First Impressions : LG is definitely better . I will put in a detailed review once I get back home(If my broadband is working). However I simply dont trust LG dvd players but the price of Rs 3.6k is not bad and I am now thinking otherwise. If this player last me 3 years I will be more than happy. I have ruled out Samsung . I intend to Demo phillips before i make a final decision. Is there nay exisiting user of LG dvd player particularly DN-192 ?

HI Thanks for your reply..
Please let me know about its(LG DV 388) USB plug n play capability...

HI Thanks for your reply..
Please let me know about its(LG DV 388) USB plug n play capability...

Here is a detailed review from my end :-

My Review

Took a 5 minute demo of both LG DV388 and Samsung 1080-pk each yesterday. Here are my views and opinions :-

Remote :- Samsung has a good chunky feeling remote , LG is more of sleek compact variety. Both the remotes had ok response. I will rate both of them as equal as far as utility is concerned.

USB Playback: Ok here is where LG is better. Unlike Samsung LG is not limited to reading 14 chars of the filename! It was being able to read a considerable part of the filename if not full. USB loading took less than 3 seconds in the LG ( Samsung was slower). FF speeds were the same for both. Ok now the main part ?? I had taken a mixture of files on my 8 GB pen drive. There were 3-4 Divx and Xvid movies, one entire DVD movie and few MP3??s. LG and Samsung played all of the Divx Formats with the exception of one which both could not read. LG played the DVD movie (Sarkar) also but surprisingly the Samsung was not being able to enter into the folder (Folder Name: Video-TS) . Now I don??t know whether reinsertion of flash drive would have worked but this was one major bummer for me :( !! Can somebody please confirm whether we can play DVD ?? vob files via flash drive in 1080-pk ?

Quality:- Here was the demo setup. LG was hooked to a 42? Phillips while the Sammy was plugged into a 42? Samsung LCD. I was at a distance of around 7ft from the Phillips LCD and at a distance of 4 ft from the Samsung LCD. (HDMI cabling for both) I played back my favourite Divx Movie in the LG and it looked good. But when I played back the same in Samsung I was shocked . The image was not as sharp and tight as LG .There was blurring in the face closeups. But again was the distance between me and the two TV??s a factor here?

Price:- LG Rs 3700/- and Samsung Rs 4200/- . Both of them have free HDMI cable bundled. The difference is hardly Rs 500/-.

Looks: Samsung definitely looks better.

Overall vote??LG

The above impressions have forced me to look into Phillips 5996 before I decide. This is very simply for the fact that I don??t trust LG players. I don??t think there would be anybody in this forum who would be using a LG DVD player for more than a year?? I expect a min. life span of 3 years out of my player after which obviously one will have to upgrade to Full HD :D (maybe sooner but still)!!

Back