Best DVD player iwth USB

I am using LG DV388 since last 40 days... so far I am highly satisfied with its performance.
Its a sleek player with quality picture output.

One of the major reason I went for it was its ability to play movies directly from USB port (using a flash drive - FAT or FAT32 formatted; I havent tried 250GB HD so far since its NTFS formatted and I have a lot of data on it :) )

I have tried DIvx, Xvid, VOB, MPG formats and all of them played very well on this player (I tried playing with USB as well with DVD) ..manual mentiones abount playin compatibility with 3IVX format as well.

The manual of the player says that the USB is 1.1 and that's where I was wondering if samsung would have been a good buy (1080PK USB is 2.0 compatible - as mentioned in player specifications) but after reading Illusion's reviews of samsung player, I believe my decision to go for LG was not wrong.

My LG player didn't came bundled with HDMI cable. Samsung was providing the same.
Player costs me 3750 INR whereas Samsung 1080PK was available at only one shop at time of purchase and was costing me 4200 INR.

Warranty period for both players is 1 yr and hence I dont think there should be much confusion between samsung or LG brand since both are more or less of same category.

I am using LG DV388 since last 40 days... so far I am highly satisfied with its performance.
Its a sleek player with quality picture output.

One of the major reason I went for it was its ability to play movies directly from USB port (using a flash drive - FAT or FAT32 formatted; I havent tried 250GB HD so far since its NTFS formatted and I have a lot of data on it :) )

I have tried DIvx, Xvid, VOB, MPG formats and all of them played very well on this player (I tried playing with USB as well with DVD) ..manual mentiones abount playin compatibility with 3IVX format as well.

The manual of the player says that the USB is 1.1 and that's where I was wondering if samsung would have been a good buy (1080PK USB is 2.0 compatible - as mentioned in player specifications) but after reading Illusion's reviews of samsung player, I believe my decision to go for LG was not wrong.

My LG player didn't came bundled with HDMI cable. Samsung was providing the same.
Player costs me 3750 INR whereas Samsung 1080PK was available at only one shop at time of purchase and was costing me 4200 INR.

Warranty period for both players is 1 yr and hence I dont think there should be much confusion between samsung or LG brand since both are more or less of same category.

Hey hold on for a sec, are you sure that the USB port is 1.1 and not 2.0 ? Ezone guys had confirmed to me that it had a USB 2.0 port !!! If possible can you attach a image of that part of the manual which claims that the port is USB 1.1 !!

Also are you using the player with HDMI cable ?

I personally believe that USB port is 2.0 since it plays all DIVX/XVID encoded movies without any lag. but still the words in manual of the product says its USB 1.1
Maybe manual of the product is not upto the mark.. on the box and player body it states the USB point as "USB plus" that makes me wonder if it really is 2.0 compatible :p (i wish it is)

but overall its giving me no problems at all playing the media through USB.

I personally believe that USB port is 2.0 since it plays all DIVX/XVID encoded movies without any lag. but still the words in manual of the product says its USB 1.1
Maybe manual of the product is not upto the mark.. on the box and player body it states the USB point as "USB plus" that makes me wonder if it really is 2.0 compatible :p (i wish it is)

I called up the Ezone guy and have asked him to confirm . He however said that LG had been marketing it as a USB 2.0 product. I have still asked him to check the manual and confirm. I was thinking of buying the product today but I guess I will hold on. If it is a usb 2.0 then it should work with external HDD provided you use the right tool to format your drive to fat 32 !

Philip: Best DVD player iwth USB

the latest philip is with usb (HDMI) and plus u get a free pen drive of 1 GB....:)

Re: Philip: Best DVD player iwth USB

the latest philip is with usb (HDMI) and plus u get a free pen drive of 1 GB....:)

By the latest I think you mean Phillips 5996 I presume. Somehow the same is not available in Kolkata showrooms yet!!

Can you demo the same vis a vis the LG dv 388 and post a small review. It would be of great help to us.

USB 1.1 will play divx/xvid without a problem. You will see the difference only when you FF / Rew the files . Sometimes in High motion scenes they create problems. But again are you sure that the manual says USB 1.1, cause if the manual says it as USB1.1 then it has got to be USB1.1 .

manual states its USB 1.1.
also I have noticed slow FF/rewinding speed while playing through USB port. Hence it seems to be USB 1.1 only :mad:

manual states its USB 1.1.
also I have noticed slow FF/rewinding speed while playing through USB port. Hence it seems to be USB 1.1 only :mad:

Confirmed the same from Ezone , I guess I can rule out LG player from my list now :-( !!

Why not go for phillips 5996, its USB 2 and has hdmi up conversion too, overall its a good player and is Divx ultra specified :)

Hey I was at Croma today and I was curious to check out the players mentioned as I have been thinking about getting one for myself ...
The LG and the Samsung players were not available but they had a Philips DVP5986K (not the 5996)
It was priced similarly at 4800
The rep there didnt have any clue about the existence of 5996 model, let alone any differences. So I went to the Philips site and tried to compare both - but the Philips site showed some technical error when I tried it:)

Can anyone explain whats the difference between the two ?

~this is my first post - this a great forum btw

Try e-zone(milan mall, santacruz west) and sumaria-any showroom

- It has HDMI, USBport plus free pen drive of 1GB, the look is sliver n stylish.
----------------------------------------------------------

Hey I was at Croma today and I was curious to check out the players mentioned as I have been thinking about getting one for myself ...
The LG and the Samsung players were not available but they had a Philips DVP5986K (not the 5996)
It was priced similarly at 4800
The rep there didnt have any clue about the existence of 5996 model, let alone any differences. So I went to the Philips site and tried to compare both - but the Philips site showed some technical error when I tried it:)

Can anyone explain whats the difference between the two ?

~this is my first post - this a great forum btw

Last edited:
Try e-zone(milan mall, santacruz west) and sumaria-any showroom

- It has HDMI, USBport plus free pen drive of 1GB, the look is sliver n stylish.
----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info but I was looking for differences between the two ...
Both of them have HDMI 1080p upscaling,
USB port, DivX Ultra certification etc ....

Thanks for the info but I was looking for differences between the two ...
Both of them have HDMI 1080p upscaling,
USB port, DivX Ultra certification etc ....

Well i did a compare for you. The biggest diff is that 5996 has usb 2.0 while the 5986 has usb 1.1 !! Rest are more or less the same .

Funny the same thing happened with me. In fact the phillips showroom wala told me that the 5996 model had been discontinued :eek: !

5986 is the old model and 5996 is the latest one, most of the seller have the old one in stock and have not got the new one, hence the reply, i am also searching online to see if it is available with any online seller

Maybe we need to call or email Phillips india to find out about the availability of this model

The topic just reminded me.

The best DVD Player with USB compatibility has to be the Oppo.:) If price is not the object.

5986 is the old model and 5996 is the latest one, most of the seller have the old one in stock and have not got the new one, hence the reply, i am also searching online to see if it is available with any online seller

Maybe we need to call or email Phillips india to find out about the availability of this model

Gr8 idea, I am trying to open the Philips website but the damn thing refuses to open. I really want to demo the player. Do Philips 5996 have slot load system ?

thevortex

Hi, have you tried using a 400 gb hdd with a Pioneer DVD player? I am unable to run even a 40 GB HDD. It read the disc only once. Later it stopped reading it. If I reformat it to FAT 32, will it read? My computer guy tells me it has to be NTFS if its more than a specified size.

Can you pl clarify.

Regds / Shailender

Shailender,

As far as I know only FAT formatted external hard disks can be used with DVD players. Flash drives of whatever size may be used without any problem. Till date I have only connected flash drives to my DVD player.

I have an 80 GB external USB powered hard drive that I will copy movies and try connecting later this weekend. I will let you know how that goes.

The DVD that I will be trying this on is the 1080 PK from Samsung. But just as a piece of information I have heard that the DVD players at this range may not able to drive 80 GB hard disks. But I will confirm and post in this thread.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back