Best DVD player iwth USB

I had got myself a Philips 5986K exactly 1 month ago (Aug 16) from Croma, Bangalore.
I initially had issues with the picture coming on and off...disappearing after 10 mins and reappearing after shaking the player......and then after some days the player conked.
Philips service was very good - in 2 days, they diagnosed the issue and replaced the power supply PCB. Works well now.
The player plays USB movies well from flash drive and in decent digital quality.

Welcome aboard maniJ, we were thinking of doing a comparative analysis between LG, Samsung . If you could chip in then it would be great. I plan to make some sample videos over this weekend and then we can post the results . it will be a great guide for the new users as which product to buy. personally i believe that the quality of the 5986 and the 5996 will be the same. It is just the USB 2.0 feature which is an add on in 5996

Sure illusion. If you can send me some instructions on what you need me to do, can surely do and post results. Looking forward to this. Thanks.

Sure illusion. If you can send me some instructions on what you need me to do, can surely do and post results. Looking forward to this. Thanks.

Hi, Nothing much sir :)

I will be posting 3 video clips of 1-2 mins each .

You just need to play the same in your player (under optimal settings), take snaps and then post them in this forum for comparative analysis .Thats about it.

Hi! Illusion,

Try the DV-983H from Oppo, awesome player with a USB input. For more details go to their website oppodigital

Hi all,

I will be posing those samples by end of day today . in fact I will stat working on them right now. I hope thevortex proves me worng and I am able to buy 1080-pk. I deperately need a dvd player now !

Hi all,

I will be posing those samples by end of day today . in fact I will stat working on them right now. I hope thevortex proves me wrong and I am able to buy 1080-pk. I desperately need a dvd player now !

Hi i have uploaded one of the files in Sendspace. Its a 30 secs Fast & Furious clip ( 5.1 sound) with plenty of motion scenes. Here is the link:-

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

@Mods : I hope it is ok to post the link to this file . I will wait for your reply before I post the others. I dont want to be banned out of this nishee forum ;)

Hi Illusion

I am also waiting for the test results of the clips , for now i will wait for the 5996 launch, though as u have mentioned correctly it will be an improved version of 5986,

It will be easy to decide once we have the members play the clips and can see the performance of the other players

Last edited:
Illusion - I have downloaded the clip you have uploaded. I will burn this onto a CD and try playing it back on the Samsung and let you know the result.

Tested today using the Philips 5986K. I thought both the scenes played well. I could not note any face-blurring in Goal....and the action scenes from F&F came out good.
Best Regards!

For all the current owner's of Samsung 1080pk and Phillips 5986,

It will be great if you can share the pricing for the same ...

Also if the same clips can be played on sammy 1080pk dvd player and someone can post the results ..

I will try and have it done on the Samsung player in a couple of days. The Samsung 1080PK was priced at Rs. 4500.

Tested today using the Philips 5986K. I thought both the scenes played well. I could not note any face-blurring in Goal....and the action scenes from F&F came out good.
Best Regards!

Hi can we have some snaps of stiils if possible ?

For all the current owner's of Samsung 1080pk and Phillips 5986,

It will be great if you can share the pricing for the same ...

Also if the same clips can be played on sammy 1080pk dvd player and someone can post the results ..

I had got the Philips 5986K for Rs. 4490 at Croma, Bangalore. I think it also won a fairly recent comparo between DVD players conducted by Chip Magazine. Would recommend this as a very good VFM DVD player you can currently buy...while you await release of 5996K.

Mani ,
the challenge is that both the samsung 1080pk and 5986 cost the same, samsung is coming with USb 2 port, while 5986 comes with usb 1.1 .

I will wait for members to post screenshots of the clips posted ,
lets see how they perform on the 5968 and sammy 1080pk,

then will take a call whether to wait for 5996 launch , or to go for sammy 1080pk.pioneer dv610 is also an option, as grey market is cheaper

Currently i am using HD860 and i am impressed with its performance, havent faced any issues with it, only problem is that it does not have a usb port, hence the reason for upgrading to a better player ,

can anyone shed more light on the difference between divx and divx ultra certified, as the sammy is divx certified and the phillips is divx ultra certified ?

can anyone shed more light on the difference between divx and divx ultra certified, as the sammy is divx certified and the phillips is divx ultra certified ?

DivX certified players have been tested and certified by DivX Inc. as being able to allow us to watch DivX movies on screen/TV. DVD players/recorders, Home Theater systems, mobile phones, etc. are eligible to undergo such certification.

DivX Ultra certified players support additional (DVD-Like) functionality like chapter points, multiple subtitles, interactive video menus, alternate audio tracks, video tags, etc. provided the input media is coded with such.
(It also supports file sizes upto 4 GB - though IMO, having a 4 GB DivX file kind of negates one of the primary aims of the format - that of compression) :(.

the challenge is that both the samsung 1080pk and 5986 cost the same, samsung is coming with USb 2 port, while 5986 comes with usb 1.1 .

Just started thinking what the real advantage of having 2.0 is? Will having USB 2.0 port mean that playback will start faster - or higher bitrate videos play better? In terms of device support the 5986K supports both USB 1.1 and 2.0 devices....and as you know, HDDs with Fat16/32 formats are supported. IMO, having a USB player that supports NTFS would be a deal breaker - as most HDDs come formatted in NTFS by default.

Just started thinking what the real advantage of having 2.0 is? Will having USB 2.0 port mean that playback will start faster - or higher bitrate videos play better? In terms of device support the 5986K supports both USB 1.1 and 2.0 devices....and as you know, HDDs with Fat16/32 formats are supported. IMO, having a USB player that supports NTFS would be a deal breaker - as most HDDs come formatted in NTFS by default.

Correct apart from playing higher bitrates , they also bring in improvements like increase in number of file characters that can be read etc. But overall there is not that much difference.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back