Best DVD player iwth USB

I copied the files from DVD to USB on my Philips 5986 - it plays the files but it is jittery - non watchable - I suspect it is the USB 1.1
Divx etc work fine.

Can backbencher confirm the same for DV 388 please ? :confused:

I just tried playing both clips posted by Illusion on my LG DV388 player and they played perfectly through USB port without any hiccups. Picture quality was like as I find in my lappy (intel centrino).

I am not sure about so much confusion about going for a dvd player.. all u need to know is your needs.. if u want to play divx/xvid/divx ultra/3ivx formats all in one then maybe u need to wait else go for the player that supports max of the formats playback and thats it...

personally I didnt noticed any drawback of having USB 1.1 in LG DV 388 player except that the fast forwarding and rewinding of movie is not up to the mark.. but to counter that we have time skip functionality and hence u can skip the movie to specified time...

Regardig max characters read support - LG dv388 can read upto 56 characters long file name (as per manual). but i have tried playing a movie name 58 characters in length and it recognized and played it perfectly
(A Wednesday.2008.1CD.PreDVDRip.Xvid.E-Subs ~Team IcTv~.avi)
as I remember, I have played movies with even bigger names and they all played perfectly (please note that I am talking about playing through USB port)

other than this.. manual states one limitation of player of not supporting having more than 650 files/folders on a disc.. hence while playing we need to be sure that our media (cd/dvd/usb) doesnt contains more than 650 files/folders in all hence people who r thinking of playing a dvd filled with mp3 songs may have a concern and want to test the player with a dvd with more than 650 songs [:p]

FF and Rew is not that bad infact in my demo I found it to be at par with 1080-pk which comes supposedly with a usb 2.0 !!

I have located another shop with dv 388 and he has asked me to come back at 4 pm today . So lets c, I may end up with a 388 today itself !

Congrats. Post your observations with video and audio.

Listening to Audio Right now! As i use an av reciever to do the decoding it does not make a diff to me. However plan to watch lots of movies the next 4-5 days . Will come back with my comments .

@backbencher- is it possible to remove the program thing in the Music Menu .?? This will increase the viewable length of the MP3 songs on the menu !!

Listening to Audio Right now! As i use an av reciever to do the decoding it does not make a diff to me. However plan to watch lots of movies the next 4-5 days . Will come back with my comments .

@backbencher- is it possible to remove the program thing in the Music Menu .?? This will increase the viewable length of the MP3 songs on the menu !!

ilusion congratulation's on your purchase, waiting for your feedback and review on the same once you have used it for a few days and watched different content on the player

IMO, sound quality would not matter much if you use digital (optical/ coaxial) to send data to receiver as the digital to analog converion would happen in receiver.

Ok as i started watching movies I found the image to be overly bright. It was then i remembered that for a particular move I had increased he brightness to compensate for the dark scenes . I switched back to my default settings and all seemed well now . Phew thats a relief. There are not many options in the setup menu which is good as well as bad. It is bad for experts who cannot tune the DVD to their liking and good for people like me who in the process sometimes screw up the setting s pretty bad ! You know what I mean :eek: ?

By the way I got an LG HDMI cable free with my unit !!! Now I have three HDMI cables :p !

Ok as i started watching movies I found the image to be overly bright. It was then i remembered that for a particular move I had increased he brightness to compensate for the dark scenes . I switched back to my default settings and all seemed well now . Phew thats a relief. There are not many options in the setup menu which is good as well as bad. It is bad for experts who cannot tune the DVD to their liking and good for people like me who in the process sometimes screw up the setting s pretty bad ! You know what I mean :eek: ?

By the way I got an LG HDMI cable free with my unit !!! Now I have three HDMI cables :p !

OT : My hall 29 inch Samsung Slim TV is connected to my Sony DVD player . I was watching ' A wednesday" yest with myt dad and I noticed that in many scenes where the movie was shot under the scenes , the area around the eyes or sometimes the face itself would turn dark. However the same movie via HDMI to my Sammy LCD looked great . What do I tweak so that the dark areas go away ?

@venkatcr - Hi Venkat , can you please provide me with the remote code to control LG DVD players ( LG dv 388) preferably. I have a sony RM-AAP013( it came along with my Sony AV Receiver) universal remote. Thx in advance.

@venkatcr - Hi Venkat , can you please provide me with the remote code to control LG DVD players ( LG dv 388) preferably. I have a sony RM-AAP013( it came along with my Sony AV Receiver) universal remote. Thx in advance.

I am sorry Illusion, I don't have the codes for the LG DVD Player. If your universal remote has learning facility, maybe you can point the LG Remote at it, and make it learn. Also check your Player Manual. Some manuals provide the codes at the end.

Maybe somebody else who has worked with a LG Player can help you.

Cheers

I am sorry Illusion, I don't have the codes for the LG DVD Player. If your universal remote has learning facility, maybe you can point the LG Remote at it, and make it learn. Also check your Player Manual. Some manuals provide the codes at the end.

Maybe somebody else who has worked with a LG Player can help you.

Cheers

Nah its a manual feed it yourself types. No autolearning in my remote. I did check the manual no codes for lg dvd player. thx anyways . Funny even google did not get me any positive hits . :(

I copied the files from DVD to USB on my Philips 5986 - it plays the files but it is jittery - non watchable - I suspect it is the USB 1.1
Divx etc work fine.

I bought a Philips 5986K/98 and the Philips Arena dealer in Jayanagar, Bangalore confirmed that the USB version is 2.0 and not 1.1. I played a VOB file but did not notice any perceptible lag during playback and the DivX playback was excellent however, the resolution is limited to 720 x 576. I think your model must be an older version.

I bought a Philips 5986K/98 and the Philips Arena dealer in Jayanagar, Bangalore confirmed that the USB version is 2.0 and not 1.1. I played a VOB file but did not notice any perceptible lag during playback and the DivX playback was excellent however, the resolution is limited to 720 x 576. I think your model must be an older version.

Sorry pal it seems that your dealer has taken you for a ride. It has been posted in this site by another Philips Owner that the 5986 is a USB 1.1 and the upcoming 5996 is USB 2.0. Before I bought a LG DV 388 it was again confirmed by my Philips Dealer that the 5986 is USB 1.1 but again it does not make that much of a difference . You should be satisified with what you have purchased .

@ANM/Dushie - Here are the list of Movies that I watched in the past 5 days:-

Kidnap
Babylon AD
War
College
Hellboy-1
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Maverick
Player 5150

etc etc etc ( Hey I have taken the whole week off . Durga Puja Holidays kere in Kol :p )

Yet to see in the next three days if possible :-

HellBoy 2
Flashbacks of a Fool
Meet Dave
The Srangers
Sarkar 1 ( Yes I am yet to see that movie)
Kill Switch

Then I will post a review of the DV 388 ! :D

(All movies are Dvd Rips with the exception of Sarkar.)

Has 5996 been released in India? Its there one their website for a few months now.

Yeah I know , and I think it is going to be launched soon .Ezone guys have placed an order for it and said that they will communicate the same to me once the same is available with them. I have already bought a dvd player, However I will post the availability in this forum once I get to know of the same in case you are interested.

Illusion please try code 0591 see if this one works .. If this does not work the other two codes are 0741 and 0869.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back