Best DVD player iwth USB

LG DV-388
hey guys i'm also planning to buy LG dv-388 model
my friend just bought the player.
here's what i saw on his player
with usb it supports - divx, mp4, avi, jpeg, mp3, vob, xvid, mpeg even displays srt(subtitles) file
didn't support wmv, mkv

@ illusion
I want to know if it supports HD videos of television shows that we download of the internet? it is usually in .mkv format
I don't kno if data dvd with movies will work or not?

.mkv fies are not supported . Already tried :( !

By data dvd movies , i gather you mean to say dvd's containing a mixture of data and movies burt as a single iso image , am i correct ?

Well in that casae yes it does support mixed media dvd's !

Just got an update from a friend in Delhi that philips 5996 stocks are coming in, and its costing around Rs 4200 there,

I am trying to find out when it will be available locally in bangalore

.mkv fies are not supported . Already tried :( !

By data dvd movies , i gather you mean to say dvd's containing a mixture of data and movies burt as a single iso image , am i correct ?

Well in that casae yes it does support mixed media dvd's !

.mkv doesn't work, i take that .wmv in HD also won't support
So hw to watch a HD video that we download from the net for eg TV shows which air in 720p .mkv format?

Data dvd i mean if i burn 6 movies(700mb dvdrips) into a single dvd can i watch them?

So hw to watch a HD video that we download from the net for eg TV shows which air in 720p .mkv format?

Data dvd i mean if i burn 6 movies(700mb dvdrips) into a single dvd can i watch them?

1)I connect my laptop via hdmi to my lcd and use a usb digital optical adapter for the sound

2)Yes you can

HI,

You can convert HD videos to DVD video with DD5.1 audio using
Nero 7.

These can be upscaled by DVD player to 1080p.

Can DVD player's firmware be updated by any meen to support HD format?

What I meen,same DVD lens work for normal DVD video & Divx too.
Its due to changed firmware than earlier players.

HI,

You can convert HD videos to DVD video with DD5.1 audio using
Nero 7.

These can be upscaled by DVD player to 1080p.

Can DVD player's firmware be updated by any meen to support HD format?

What I meen,same DVD lens work for normal DVD video & Divx too.
Its due to changed firmware than earlier players.

You can but again that would be high quality dvd videos and not HD videos per se . But again by that method you would atleast be able to watch your HD videos on DVD players at better than average qualities.Its a tradeoff so to speak.

I seriously doubt whether the firmware can be updated to support hd video. HD video needs better graphics processor as well as higher central processing unit. Which budget dvd players have that kind of extra resource ? Sorry , really dont think that would be possible.

You can but again that would be high quality dvd videos and not HD videos per se . But again by that method you would atleast be able to watch your HD videos on DVD players at better than average qualities.Its a tradeoff so to speak.

I seriously doubt whether the firmware can be updated to support hd video. HD video needs better graphics processor as well as higher central processing unit. Which budget dvd players have that kind of extra resource ? Sorry , really dont think that would be possible.

Thanks.

How long the LG HDMI cable is?
Is is worthy?

so if i want to watch HD videos that I download from the net i.e 720p .mkv format, it's not possible to watch it in DVD player?
my PC does't support HD videos, so I was planning to watch it on my tv thru DVD player

Is there any other DVD player which supports .mkv format

I already hav a philips DVD player some 2 yrs old i can just continue to use that i guess

which HDMI cable are you using, where did you buy it from?

If you want to watch HD videos in mkv or X264 format.

Few options are -

1. Buy pop corn hour box.

2. Play video on your pc and project on TV screen.

3. By a PS3 or a blue ray player ( Most expensive out of the above )

Many users are playing HD content through pc and projecting on projectors.

You can do the same on TV, only requirement will be a good Graphics card with HDMI out or DVI out and atleast 512mb memory .

From the about 3 options playing mkv media through pc is the cheaper option

If you want to watch HD videos in mkv or X264 format.

Few options are -

1. Buy pop corn hour box.

2. Play video on your pc and project on TV screen.

3. By a PS3 or a blue ray player ( Most expensive out of the above )

Many users are playing HD content through pc and projecting on projectors.

You can do the same on TV, only requirement will be a good Graphics card with HDMI out or DVI out and atleast 512mb memory .

From the about 3 options playing mkv media through pc is the cheaper option

I think ps3 supports only HD divx and not mkv .

Hi,

I am a new member and have just joined in. I read all the posts and have lots of praises for you guys for testing the players in very details. Thanks everyone. :)

Now, I am also looking for DVP5996K. I searched across all showrooms in Noida, but no one has it. I am saddened to read in one post that it has not launched in India.

There was only one shop, some Ankur electronics (not sure i remember it correctly), which had 5986 model. I took my 8GB Kingston pen drive (FAT32 formatted) with me. Here are the details of the demo i took from my pen drive:
* AVI (XVID) Playback - Yes
>> plays 700 mb file in mp3 soundtrack
>> plays 700 mb file with AC3 soundtrack (one cd file of a 2 CD movie)
>> plays 700 MB file with DTS soundtrack
>> plays 1.5 GB file with AC3 soundtrack
>> did not play one 2.2 GB AVI file. The player got stuck at "Loading" screen. Don't know why.

* Plays 320 Kbps mp3 files
* plays JPEG files (but was a little slow)

Now, can anyone confirm if he also experienced the 2.2 GB file size problem? also let me know which other player (one which is easily available) can do the following things:
* upscaling to 1080i/720p on component cable (I have Samsung CS29Z40 TV with no HDMI)
* Plays single XVid AVI files (2 GB+) from USB
* dolby and DTS support
* Optical and 5.1 output

If anyone has bought 5986 or 5996, please let me know from which store in Delhi/Noida?

Hi guys, Illusion,

Congrats on your DV388... I'm also torn between LG388/Sammy1080/Philips5996, and here's what I think:

LG : Good video decoding for all formats, but USB1.1 (not really an issue)
Samsung: No DTS decoding, limited filename display
Philips: From what I hear, if you use HDMI for video, you can't output to analog 5.1 audio.

For now, LG seems to be winning, but I have a question maybe you can help with:

I have a 42"plasma (Panny), and a 'custom made' 5.1 amp. I want to hook up the TV via HDMI, but still use the player's 5.1 audio out to hook up to my amp. That doesn't seem to be possible with Philips, can you try and confirm if that's the case with the LG as well?

Also, the second thing I'm looking for is HDMI/CEC. Both Sammy and Philips are CEC compliant (that's actually the main diff. between 5986 and 5996), which means I can use my Panny remote (Viera Link) to control the DVD player as well. However, LG usually provides a 'standard' set of commands for the more common brands, which one can pick from using key combos on the remote. Can you confirm if the LG HDMI is CEC compliant - one way or two way (can your HDMI reciever/tv remote control it, and can the LG remote control the TV)? This is kinda important to me (and to my wife), as we now have too many remotes! It's also easier for my kid to turn everything on and off.

Thanks!

Hi illusion,

I too wld like to know the same.Secondly when you play video through
HDMI,is ther setting to choose video format betn 720p & 1080p?
Or HDMI compulsarily output Video in 1080p form?

The same question for Blue ray player also.Can I connect blue ray HDMI
to 720p LCD(not HD ready)?

Hi guys, Illusion,

Congrats on your DV388... I'm also torn between LG388/Sammy1080/Philips5996, and here's what I think:

LG : Good video decoding for all formats, but USB1.1 (not really an issue)
Samsung: No DTS decoding, limited filename display
Philips: From what I hear, if you use HDMI for video, you can't output to analog 5.1 audio.

For now, LG seems to be winning, but I have a question maybe you can help with:

I have a 42"plasma (Panny), and a 'custom made' 5.1 amp. I want to hook up the TV via HDMI, but still use the player's 5.1 audio out to hook up to my amp. That doesn't seem to be possible with Philips, can you try and confirm if that's the case with the LG as well?

Also, the second thing I'm looking for is HDMI/CEC. Both Sammy and Philips are CEC compliant (that's actually the main diff. between 5986 and 5996), which means I can use my Panny remote (Viera Link) to control the DVD player as well. However, LG usually provides a 'standard' set of commands for the more common brands, which one can pick from using key combos on the remote. Can you confirm if the LG HDMI is CEC compliant - one way or two way (can your HDMI reciever/tv remote control it, and can the LG remote control the TV)? This is kinda important to me (and to my wife), as we now have too many remotes! It's also easier for my kid to turn everything on and off.

Thanks!

Hi welcome to the forum.

For your first question , it is a confirmed yes. I have the same combination with HDMI directly to TV and a digital out to my avr , works fine ! However to avoid echo you may have to turn down the TV volume to zero when you want to use your amp for audio playback.

Second one , well I am myself looking for that answer. Currently the hunt is on for the LG dv 388 remote codes. Will let you know once i come across the same.

Last edited:
Hi illusion,

I too wld like to know the same.Secondly when you play video through
HDMI,is ther setting to choose video format betn 720p & 1080p?
Or HDMI compulsarily output Video in 1080p form?

The same question for Blue ray player also.Can I connect blue ray HDMI
to 720p LCD(not HD ready)?

If you are asking for LG dv 388 then yes it has a resolution button on the remote itself to select your tv resolution. Mine is currently set to 720p and works fine.

I dont have a blu ray player but I am 100% sure that all blu ray players will have the option to choose your resoultions for playback.

Hi welcome to the forum.

For your first question , it is a confirmed yes. I have the same combination with HDMI directly to TV and a digital out to my avr , works fine ! However to avoid echo you may have to turn down the TV volume to zero when you want to use your amp for audio playback.

Second one , well I am myself looking for that answer. Currently the hunt is on for the LG dv 388 remote codes. Will let you know once i come across the same.

Illusion i had pasted 3 remote codes for you to try did they work -

The codes were
1. 0591
2. 0741
3. 0869

Please try the same

Hi Illusion

Thanks for the prompt reply!

You said you had connected your audio to your AVR via digital out... however, I need to know if the analog 5.1 out works or not (while the video is sent out using HDMI). I understand about the TV also reproducing the sound... I guess we don't have an option but to mute the TV then. Or is it that the DV388 doesn't have an analog 5.1 out (horror!) ?

Also, any idea if DV388 is CEC compliant? Can you control it via your AVR/TV HDMI (I don't mean via a programmable remote - that's a different thing - I mean via the HDMI CEC standard)

Thanks,

Sumit.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back