Best DVD player iwth USB

Gr8 idea, I am trying to open the Philips website but the damn thing refuses to open. I really want to demo the player. Do Philips 5996 have slot load system ?

The following was the reply from Philips :-

PHILIPS

Good Morning

Thank you for your recent email and interest shown in Philips product

With respect to your e-mail, we regret to inform you that DVP5996K/98 has not yet launched in India.

For further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Philips Customer Care

Executive Name: Sujatha Kumar

Contact Us # 1860 180 1111, 011-6600 1111

Work Timings: Sun - Sat # 9am to 9pm / Sunday # 9am to 6 pm

Seems we will have to wait for some time before we can see the same in stores. What a Bummer :( !

Shailender,

As far as I know only FAT formatted external hard disks can be used with DVD players. Flash drives of whatever size may be used without any problem. Till date I have only connected flash drives to my DVD player.

I have an 80 GB external USB powered hard drive that I will copy movies and try connecting later this weekend. I will let you know how that goes.

The DVD that I will be trying this on is the 1080 PK from Samsung. But just as a piece of information I have heard that the DVD players at this range may not able to drive 80 GB hard disks. But I will confirm and post in this thread.

I think you all must be knowing that simply formatting it to FAT32 will not be enough for the external drives to work with the DVD players. it has to be formatted using a specific software so that the DVD players read the External HDD as USB Mass Storage. I remember reading this somewhere.However if you are interested I could research and let you know the name of the softwares !

thevortex, thanks a lot for the clarification.

Illusion, most of us on this forum would highly appreciate
if you can tell us about the software needed to format the
hdd to play on DVD player.

Thanks once again.

Warm Regds / Shailu

Thanks once again.

Warm Regds / Shailu

Sure sir, :p . I will try to post the same by eod today or tomorrow max if possible.

Is shailu your pet name ??

Thanks once again.

Warm Regds / Shailu

Got it . It is "CompuApps SwissKnife V3"

Source: AVS Forums - Phillips 5992 thread (The avsforums link was posted in this thread a few days ago- please go through this thread to locate the same).

Linky (CompuApps SwissKnife v3) :-

CompuApps, Inc. - Download Swissknife

Source : Google :D

Edit: Forgot to mention that File system Format should be set to FAT32 .
I have not personally used this software so I cannot comment whether the same will work. Use it at your own risk !!

Last edited:
Got it . It is "CompuApps SwissKnife V3"

Source: AVS Forums - Phillips 5992 thread (The avsforums link was posted in this thread a few days ago- please go through this thread to locate the same).

Linky (CompuApps SwissKnife v3) :-

CompuApps, Inc. - Download Swissknife

Source : Google :D

Edit: Forgot to mention that File system Format should be set to FAT32 .
I have not personally used this software so I cannot comment whether the same will work. Use it at your own risk !!

Thanks a lot Illusion. Let me take a "risk" with a 40 GB HDD. Shall give you feedback on Monday.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Shailender,

As far as I know only FAT formatted external hard disks can be used with DVD players. Flash drives of whatever size may be used without any problem. Till date I have only connected flash drives to my DVD player.

I have an 80 GB external USB powered hard drive that I will copy movies and try connecting later this weekend. I will let you know how that goes.

The DVD that I will be trying this on is the 1080 PK from Samsung. But just as a piece of information I have heard that the DVD players at this range may not able to drive 80 GB hard disks. But I will confirm and post in this thread.

Hi Vortex

Can u shed some light on performance and pricing of samsung 1080pk, it is a USb 2 player, can u cross check wether it is div x or div x ultra certified, as the phillips model is divx ultra certified, also check and let us know how is the play back from external hdd and what all kinds of files it can play of the hDD,

Hi Vortex

Can u shed some light on performance and pricing of samsung 1080pk, it is a USb 2 player, can u cross check wether it is div x or div x ultra certified, as the phillips model is divx ultra certified, also check and let us know how is the play back from external hdd and what all kinds of files it can play of the hDD,

Well Dushie and Shailendar, I tried connecting my USB player. While it got powered on connecting with the DVD, it would not play it. And I figured out why - it was not formatted to FAT. It had a lot of movies on it as well. I will now have to make space for it on my hard disk before copying them on. It will take some time.

In any case I will perform this test and let you know. As far as general USB performance is concerned, there is nothing I would fault the Samsung DVD for. It is quite fine. This is off a flash drive.

I can confirm that the Samsung 1080p is not DivX Ultra certified. It is merely Divx certified. The Philips 5986 is DivX Ultra certified.

Well Dushie and Shailendar, I tried connecting my USB player. While it got powered on connecting with the DVD, it would not play it. And I figured out why - it was not formatted to FAT. It had a lot of movies on it as well. I will now have to make space for it on my hard disk before copying them on. It will take some time.

In any case I will perform this test and let you know. As far as general USB performance is concerned, there is nothing I would fault the Samsung DVD for. It is quite fine. This is off a flash drive.

I can confirm that the Samsung 1080p is not DivX Ultra certified. It is merely Divx certified. The Philips 5986 is DivX Ultra certified.

Hi vortex, I am not very sure whether you red my review comparing both LG and Samsung earlier in this thread. To be very frank I was shocked that the Samsung was performing so poorly . Now I am beginning to believe that the cause may be due to some lack in setttings for which the output would have degraded so. This is merely for the fact that I have heard so much about the Samsung DVD players especially the HD860 , that the prima facie difference in quality between two models ( HD 860 and 1080-pk) cannot be this much.

I was thinking of sharing some DivX clips with you and was wondering whether you could play those clips on your 1080-pk and then post some snaps of the same? This would be the best possible way of knowing as to how the 1080-pk will perform under optimal settings . Thanks in advance.

Illusion i have the HD 860 and its an excellent player, never had any issues in the last one year.

Only problem is that it does not have a USB port and second issue is that if the unit is powered down the HDMI settings go back to default, so u need to change the settings most of the time before playing, samsung was supposed to provide a firmware to fix the same, but nothing has come out till now .

Instead they launched the HD 870 which i have heard was an excellent model, and now samsung 1080pk is out.

That is the reason i am planning to buy another player that has HDMI output and plays divx files through usb drive.

On the performance front i never faced any issues with my samsung

I am using LG DV388 since last 40 days... so far I am highly satisfied with its performance.
Its a sleek player with quality picture output.

One of the major reason I went for it was its ability to play movies directly from USB port (using a flash drive - FAT or FAT32 formatted; I havent tried 250GB HD so far since its NTFS formatted and I have a lot of data on it :) )

I have tried DIvx, Xvid, VOB, MPG formats and all of them played very well on this player (I tried playing with USB as well with DVD) ..manual mentiones abount playin compatibility with 3IVX format as well.

The manual of the player says that the USB is 1.1 and that's where I was wondering if samsung would have been a good buy (1080PK USB is 2.0 compatible - as mentioned in player specifications) but after reading Illusion's reviews of samsung player, I believe my decision to go for LG was not wrong.

My LG player didn't came bundled with HDMI cable. Samsung was providing the same.
Player costs me 3750 INR whereas Samsung 1080PK was available at only one shop at time of purchase and was costing me 4200 INR.

Warranty period for both players is 1 yr and hence I dont think there should be much confusion between samsung or LG brand since both are more or less of same category.

Hi backbencher I am beginning to rethink my deicision about not going for the LG player ! Do you think you would be able to test whether your external hdd would work on the dvd usb port ?? Also could you confirm as to how many characters is displayed for each filename ?

Hi vortex, I am not very sure whether you red my review comparing both LG and Samsung earlier in this thread. To be very frank I was shocked that the Samsung was performing so poorly . Now I am beginning to believe that the cause may be due to some lack in setttings for which the output would have degraded so. This is merely for the fact that I have heard so much about the Samsung DVD players especially the HD860 , that the prima facie difference in quality between two models ( HD 860 and 1080-pk) cannot be this much.

I was thinking of sharing some DivX clips with you and was wondering whether you could play those clips on your 1080-pk and then post some snaps of the same? This would be the best possible way of knowing as to how the 1080-pk will perform under optimal settings . Thanks in advance.

That would be a nice idea to check compatibility. Personally, the only clip that the DVD would not load since I bought it was the Mumm3 divx file I had downloaded from a torrent source. Since the movie was not very special, I did not bother to investigate more.

But certainly it is not a bad DVD player. It is not without its quirks, but it is not bad at all.

That would be a nice idea to check compatibility. Personally, the only clip that the DVD would not load since I bought it was the Mumm3 divx file I had downloaded from a torrent source. Since the movie was not very special, I did not bother to investigate more.

But certainly it is not a bad DVD player. It is not without its quirks, but it is not bad at all.

Vortex, probably the mummy file u downloaded will be a Mpeg 4 file, here is the details of that file -

Container: MP4 (.MP4) file
Video Codec Type: avc1
Video Codec name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Bitrate: 785 KBS
Encoding: 3 Pass
Resolution: 688 x 288
Quality Factor (QF): 0.158
Frame Rate: 25.000 fps
Display Aspect Ratio: 2.389

The above file does not play in my HD 860 model too ..

I will need to check that, Dushie. I will check and confirm in this thread tomorrow.

I was thinking of creating 3 files:-

One divx ultra sample file which i will be creaing myself

Second would be a high motion clip from the movie Fast and the Furious

Third would be the movie clip of Goal which I had used to demo the 1080-pk and after which I noticed blurring on face closeups!

I was thinking of creating 3 files:-

One divx ultra sample file which i will be creaing myself

Second would be a high motion clip from the movie Fast and the Furious

Third would be the movie clip of Goal which I had used to demo the 1080-pk and after which I noticed blurring on face closeups!

That is fine. If you guys can create and upload the samples somewhere I will download and burn them on CD/DVD and try playing it on the device and let you know how it goes.

Alternatively, of course, you guys can burn the content off on a CD and take it with you on a demo:)

I had got myself a Philips 5986K exactly 1 month ago (Aug 16) from Croma, Bangalore.
I initially had issues with the picture coming on and off...disappearing after 10 mins and reappearing after shaking the player......and then after some days the player conked.
Philips service was very good - in 2 days, they diagnosed the issue and replaced the power supply PCB. Works well now.
The player plays USB movies well from flash drive and in decent digital quality.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back