Best DVD player with Upscaling

eummagic

I have Samsung series 5 46" LCD, I already have a philips dvd 727k player hooked to LCD via component output. Recently, my cousin hooked his PS3 via HDMI and we set the upscaling to "full". We had copied the same clip from the documentary "Planet Earth" and put movie on still.

I changed the source of the LCD from HDMI to component and back, we found the image quality is much more sharper giving details in the background and contrast also improved via HDMI with upscaling.

Iam now looking for a decent DVD player that does good upscaling. I found many players in this forum like Philips DVP5996, Samsung DVD-1080PK, Pioneer DV-610AV, Sony (don't remember the model no.) etc

I would like to give your suggestions for choosing a decent player since my budget is around 5k.

Iam also planning to buy the Popcorn Hour A-110 since I have HD movies in my pc. This is the reason for my less budget towards DVD player.

Kindly advise...

hey how do i connect pc to the LCD tv (42inch LG scarlet)

I have Samsung series 5 46" LCD, I already have a philips dvd 727k player hooked to LCD via component output. Recently, my cousin hooked his PS3 via HDMI and we set the upscaling to "full". We had copied the same clip from the documentary "Planet Earth" and put movie on still.

I changed the source of the LCD from HDMI to component and back, we found the image quality is much more sharper giving details in the background and contrast also improved via HDMI with upscaling.

Iam now looking for a decent DVD player that does good upscaling. I found many players in this forum like Philips DVP5996, Samsung DVD-1080PK, Pioneer DV-610AV, Sony (don't remember the model no.) etc

I would like to give your suggestions for choosing a decent player since my budget is around 5k.

Iam also planning to buy the Popcorn Hour A-110 since I have HD movies in my pc. This is the reason for my less budget towards DVD player.

Kindly advise...

hey how do i connect pc to the LCD tv (42inch LG scarlet)

You have posted somewhere else that you are looking for cables to connect. So do you now know how to connect? If not, can you list the output sockets on your PC?

Cheers

Hi eummagic

There are already few threads running on the same like -

http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/1692-best-dvd-player-iwth-usb.html

There are few other threads too please search and go through them , it will help ... :)

Hi Dushie!, thanks for the thread, but before posting this I had gone through this and found the emphasis was more on the USB features and its playback capability. Iam no way interested in USB and Divx playback. Iam keen on the upscaling quality through HDMI, even though the DVD player possess USB/Divx features (not much concern).

So kindly, name some players that gives importance to upscaling...which around 5-6k budget.

I am using philips up scaling dvd player with usb+ karaoke and frankly I couldn't see very big difference by turning up upscaling. But connecting through HDMI makes a visible difference .

If you are planning to use dvd player + popcourn , why don't you think about buying a HTPC ? In long run it might provide usefull as any dvd player in india will not play HD divx

I am using philips up scaling dvd player with usb+ karaoke and frankly I couldn't see very big difference by turning up upscaling. But connecting through HDMI makes a visible difference .

If you are planning to use dvd player + popcourn , why don't you think about buying a HTPC ? In long run it might provide usefull as any dvd player in india will not play HD divx

Yes, I will be using through HDMI and as already mentioned in my earlier post, I found that upscaling does gives some improvement over the conventional quality (as found in my cousin's PS3). The plan for buying upscaling DVD is to play the present collection of my DVDs with improved quality and the future movies that Iam downloading are all in MKV format (1080p) which Popcorn Hour would capable of playing it.

So, please suggest a decent player around the budget of 5k with a decent quality upscaling. Regarding other features like USB/Divx playback etc. are of less importance.

Hi Dushie!, thanks for the thread, but before posting this I had gone through this and found the emphasis was more on the USB features and its playback capability. Iam no way interested in USB and Divx playback. Iam keen on the upscaling quality through HDMI, even though the DVD player possess USB/Divx features (not much concern).

So kindly, name some players that gives importance to upscaling...which around 5-6k budget.

The players posted in the link i gave you are the best upscaling players you will get in a 5k budget,

If you are willing to stretch and go above 10 k, then u can go for higher end models...
with the current budget you can go for any of the below players -

1. samsung 1080pk
2. phillips 5986
3. LG 388
4. Pioneer DV 610
5. Sony DVP-NS708HP

Last edited:
i have purchased the phillips 5986.....its good plus u get 1 GB pen drive free

Thanks Dushie! I haven't actually seen demo of the players mentioned, let me see it and will decide accordingly.

I found from the technical specs that Philips, Pioneer having 12bit, 108Mhz whereas Samsung - 14bit, 108Mhz.

How does this compare the performance of the players?

Guys! I have atlast purchased Philips DVP5986 after considering my budget and future upgrades. Till the last minute Samsung 1080PK (pebble model was available - but not keen though specs match) was there top in my lists but unfortunately the dealers and even the company owned showrooms also didn't have stock and told delivery of 15 days. Since Iam already a Philips DVD user and extremely happy with its performance, made my mind to go in for it. Thanks to all contributors who have helped me in deciding.

Iam proud to say that this forum has helped me recently in purchasing two consumer products - 1) Samsung series 5 46" and 2) Philips DVP 5986.

I feel this forum as the Godfather in giving advise for any electronics! Thanks once again to all of you!

Last edited:
Guys! I have atlast purchased Philips DVP5986 after considering my budget and future upgrades. Till the last minute Samsung 1080PK (pebble model was available - but not keen though specs match) was there top in my lists but unfortunately the dealers and even the company owned showrooms also didn't have stock and told delivery of 15 days. Since Iam already a Philips DVD user and extremely happy with its performance, made my mind to go in for it. Thanks to all contributors who have helped me in deciding.

Iam proud to say that this forum has helped me recently in purchasing two consumer products - 1) Samsung series 5 46" and 2) Philips DVP 5986.

I feel this forum as the Godfather in giving advise for any electronics! Thanks once again to all of you!

Woow , a series 5. Congrats Congrats ! How much did you shell out for the same ? Now I know why you want a good looking HTPC :) . Believe me if you build a good HTPC then you will not regret your decision !

Woow , a series 5. Congrats Congrats ! How much did you shell out for the same ? Now I know why you want a good looking HTPC :) . Believe me if you build a good HTPC then you will not regret your decision !

Samsung Series 5 46" - 81k and Philips DVP 5986 - 4.5k.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back