Best ever deal for loudspeaker kits.

OT - do you start your day this early ??? I am at the station to pick up someone and crabby to wake up so early ??
Woke up so early to receive someone! :( I can underxtand the feeling.

s for me, I'm in train on my way back from Vizag. Insufficient cooling woke me up.

anm

even if i do the cabs ( that is if the alpair GB goes ahead and i end up doing the pencil design)
shipping will cost you money so you would need to think about that

also about the paint job
Please understand a top notch paint job requires a lot of work and experience
only now have i understood how to get it right after going thru 3 cabs

it will cost a real lot to do something like QUAD
that is why most DIY guys take the vinear and polish

what you can see in pictures about a paint job and what it is in real are two completely diff things

anm

also about the paint job

what you can see in pictures about a paint job and what it is in real are two completely diff things

+1 to that, this is really one of the difficult part of DIY. It requires lot of work (surface preparation), skill, money, time and patience. Those who have ever used a spray gun will really understand how difficult it is to get rid of orange peel and achieve a smooth atomization.

Thanks,
Bibin

I'm.not sure if X-LS are suitable for nearfield listening.
Capt. I'm not that fastidious as you may or others assume, as I do know at the basic level the limitations of my own hearning:eek:hyeah: (as you all might have seen my various posts/replies ) .But I love transparent sound.... may be, a little bit of heavy bass as an added flavor!

I See very few options available with me right now.
Denon 2310+ A7+ sony 5.1 being part HT,
FE126En ( in thier own BLH+reflex enclosure ) taking most Stereo listening.
and now this X-LS Encore to replace FE126En.
On other hand was contemplating to replace my PC Speakers.
Else will have to tag along FE126n(3.9 years up and still not finished )

+1 to that, this is really one of the difficult part of DIY. It requires lot of work (surface preparation), skill, money, time and patience. Those who have ever used a spray gun will really understand how difficult it is to get rid of orange peel and achieve a smooth atomization.

Thanks,
Bibin

Been using Dayton for 2-3 rounds of spray, still not the way it should work out..... the reason that FE126n is still in ugly state of paint. Its not the orange peel issue, but the kind level of atomization seems inconsistent (some times the spray throws small blobs - large enough to show as a round elevation around smooth reflection ). Possibily the gun is the culprit and may be this too needs some break-in/burn-in:rolleyes:.
:eek:hyeah:

Been using Dayton for 2-3 rounds of spray, still not the way it should work out..... the reason that FE126n is still in ugly state of paint. Its not the orange peel issue, but the kind level of atomization seems inconsistent (some times the spray throws small blobs - large enough to show as a round elevation around smooth reflection ). Possibily the gun is the culprit and may be this too needs some break-in/burn-in:rolleyes:.
:eek:hyeah:

Yes your spray gun is the culprit, that one will not produce good finish. Try SATA/PILOT guns and see the difference....

Thanks,
Bibin

Last edited:
Guys,

I will need some help to build the cabinets and soldering the components also. The kit has been collecting dust for the past several months.

Thanks.

anm

even if i do the cabs ( that is if the alpair GB goes ahead and i end up doing the pencil design)
shipping will cost you money so you would need to think about that

also about the paint job

magma - sent a pm regarding cost/ shipping. A bigger concern is how to get the stuff in, including no-rez lining inside the cabinet once I receive it. One way could be that I first send you the no-rez lining, and driver/ crossover I can fit once I get the cabs.

Is there a possibility of getting cabinet done even if you the other group buy doesn't go through?
Regarding the quad like finish - how to you deal with scratches?

capt - regarding nearfield, I asked Danny and he says they should be fine without any modification.

when i did the cabs for others they sent me the no rez and soldered crossover
only fitted the drivers themselves

nope
if i am not building multiple cabs i cant do a one off- its too much effort and followup and also gets more expensive
in fact i would like probably a member MORE to do the pencil design so im building multiple cabs

i might be doing the pencil design in a hardwood like maple or malay rubber (parawood)
i dont like plywood

the PU coat helps a bit for the scratches - but then you can scratch even polish off a veneared speaker
theres no antidote to that

Last edited:
I meant - a scratch is much more difficult/ expensive to fix in paint job.
can you please share the pencil design? pics/ posts etc.

I think there shouldn't be any follow ups between us as you have already done the cab for GR Research - all I need to do is send you no-rez and crossover, rest you can take care of.

Last edited:
Quick update on X-LS Encore placement: I had been using the X-LS Encore placed about 3 feet away from the front wall, and about 1 and half feet from the side walls. Just for a lark I moved them to within a feet of the front wall, and decreased the distance to the sidewall to less than a foot.

Improvements seen:
1) better bass due to reinforcement from the front wall. This is logical as the speakers have rear firing ports.
2) better defined imaging - both laterally and in front to back.
3) improved mid definition

Losses:
1) treble loses some of its air, though this is not so noticeable.

X-LS Encore owners may like to play around with speaker placement. This simple tweak made me (re)realise what sweet sounding tweeters these Peerless are. Makes me wonder what it will sound like if we were to replace it a fancy Accuton:) or at the least a ribbon from RAAL:)

ive been wanting to try the raal for sometime Now with a wavecor driver

pondering whetther i should put up my GR research on sale and use the money in the RAAL project

Hi,

I was looking for review's on this speakers, i could not find... is there a different thread for review?

Also i wish to audition the speakers on weekend in banglore

Regards

Tanoj

Dear FMs,

I am interested in buying GR Research X-LS Encore Kit.

Many FMs bought this kit through a group buy. I thought some of them or even one of them may not be planning to use the same and might be interested in passing it on to another FM.

Please let me know if you or any of your friend is happy to honour this request of mine.

I have started a thread in this regard, however still thought to mention in this thread also.

Regards, Amit

For damping, I stuffed inside them Recron fibre that i got from one small pillow. The sound it produces is big fat sound...My current speakers are 92dB sensitivity and my amp is 95W. This speaker set produces equal loudness at the same volume. After stuffing in the fibre, there is very little air coming out from the ports....I don't know if that is good or bad :) At low volume it sound very good. .. is there a burnin time for these speakers ??

For damping, I stuffed inside them Recron fibre that i got from one small pillow. The sound it produces is big fat sound...My current speakers are 92dB sensitivity and my amp is 95W. This speaker set produces equal loudness at the same volume. After stuffing in the fibre, there is very little air coming out from the ports....I don't know if that is good or bad :) At low volume it sound very good. .. is there a burnin time for these speakers ??

Congrats!!!!

Play around with the amount of recron stuffing to tune the sound to your liking. Too less and it can be boomy and a bit too lively. Too much will kill the highs.

Give it 20-30 hours to really sing.

Thanks jls...the sound stage is very big and sounds big. Sound fills the room at 9 'o clock and at 11 the sound is too harsh and unbearable........I have two more pillows of Recron ready for the speakers...

Last edited:
Wire one speaker in phase and the other out of phase. Face them a foot apart, throw a blanket over them and play music at low volume all night long. Tomorrow, experiment with stuffing. It will be more relevant.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back