Best ever deal for loudspeaker kits.

WOW!
What an epic thread! No words to describe the group buy! What can I say? Can I compare this to the movie, "Lagaan"? Simple to begin with; easily could've been let it go; or easily could've been aborted at any given moments of obstacles and road blocks.
But CaptRajesh and co, along with Danny has pulled it off. Hey! I'm a new member here! Just happened to come across this thread today. I've covered the entire thread (of course, skipping by tens) along with Danny's AV forum in one go! Ooof....! You guys have done it, just like an orchestra! Many twists and turns;but your perseverence paid off.

I would like to dedicate this Balleilakka Coral Reef Choir youtube video to you all!

Cheers!
BK

P.S: I've also gone through Larry's XL S Encore build thread in the AV froum along with this thread. What a day!.... What a day!

Last edited:
My TL FS sometime use more than 1KG of internal damping. Not sure what would be right for a vented enclosures.

SIR

The recron is only the double stuffing

dont forget im already using Dannys NO rez dmaping ( which is a mixture of bitumne and open cell foam in the speaker

the recron is over and above

Really sorry for reviving such an old thread..I missed this group buy by a lot clearly...
But I would love to get my hands on the Encore, still available for 180$ with GR's website.

It would be amazing if I could hear anyone's setup in Bangalore!

Any insights as to whether they can ship a single kit? Is someone selling them here? Or are there more people for a group buy?

Thanks a lot for the help!

@Oswalakhil there are a couple of members who have participated in the group buy and have built the speakers at Bangalore. You may go through the thread for finding out their handles and ping them if they are willing to let you audition their speakers. You may write to GR Research directly and am sure they would be willing to ship you. But shipping would be a deal breaker AFAIK. Best would be if you have someone in US whom it could be shipped to and carry it whenever they come to India. If you want to organise another group buy, you are welcome to do so by starting a new thread.

Check with magma if you would be interested in his X-LS (with matching stands) which he had put up for sale a few months back.
No idea of current availability.

Thanks CaptRajesh and Naturelover, I'll see if I can get the kit shipped ot carried.
I would prefer the kit and not the premade speaker as I wanted to get my hands on a diy project for the first time :)

Any inputs as to whether its possible to make the crossover here itself? Since the drivers are Peerless itself?

Thanks a lot

The drivers are custom made for GR8 Research by Peerless. I'm not sure if Peerless sells them locally. However, I've heard that similar looking drivers are available with DIY Audio Cart. You may contact our FMs bibin or bijin.

Yes, there are Peerless drivers and other stuff available at diyaudiocart.com. That's by FMs bibin and bijin, I do believe.

Finally, I've decided to take up building the boxes for my 5.1 set up. It took me so long to decide on building the cabinets for my kits. Actually there were three things.

One, at Chennai, my cubbyhole of a house didn't have any place to keep the speakers but here at Trivandrum, I have enough space for making two or even three such kits.

Two, I was in no urgent need to make the 5.1 set up as I was already having a good stereo set up.

Three, finding a carpenter who is willing to do the boxes at a reasonable cost at Chennai had turned out to be harder than finding water in a mirage.

I got a guy here who actually makes boxes for speakers for use in Theatres. He is actually a guy who does interior works for my Bank's branches. He came the other day to have a look and he said he would do it. Will keep this thread updated.

BTW, I remember that the following members had got the kits. As per my knowledge, a few of them have made the speakers already. Could you update the status guys!

Anm - Done
Baswamin - Done
CaptRajesh - Pending
Cganeshprabhu - ?
cha_indian - ?
Exljp - Done
Hemant.hg - ?
Jaybe - Pending
Jls001 - Done
Josephjohnt - Done
Madurai1974 - ?
Magma - Done
Manniraj - ?
Naren2512 - ?
Naveenkumar - ?
Odyssey - ?
Omishra - Done
Ranjithv - Done
Rgn1 - Done
Sachu888 - Done
Sbg - ?
Sethunr - Pending
Sivakuru - Done
Stereorules - Done
Surrealistix - ?
Tally3tally - ?
Thatguy - ?

Another thing; I get PMs once in a while inquiring if there are any kits available. If any of you have not finished your speakers and are thinking of disposing off the kits, kindly post it here so that those interested can buy them and take it forward.

Anm - Done
Baswamin - Done
CaptRajesh - Pending
Cganeshprabhu - ?
cha_indian - ?
Exljp - Done
Hemant.hg - ?
Jaybe - Pending
Jls001 - Done
Josephjohnt - Done
Madurai1974 - ?
Magma - Done
Manniraj - ?
Naren2512 - ?
Naveenkumar - ?
Odyssey - ?
Omishra - Done
Ranjithv - Done
Rgn1 - Done
Sachu888 - Done

Sbg - subwoofer :done, X-LS : pending - the tweeters flush mounting depth gone is off by 3-4 mm. - reworking.

Sethunr - Pending
Sivakuru - Done
Stereorules - Done
Surrealistix - ?
Tally3tally - ?
Thatguy - ?

@Capt: finally!;)

Odyssey must have completed his build, I think. He was part of the cabinet mini GB (by magma). Of course he is spoiled with choices from his stable of speakers:)

Capt, did you opt for the Sonicaps? It is truly a worthy upgrade. Take up this build on the double. You don't know what you have been missing!

Sbg - subwoofer :done, X-LS : pending - the tweeters flush mounting depth gone is off by 3-4 mm. - reworking.
I suggest you use some gasket to bring up the tweeter in line with the baffle.
@Capt: finally!;)

Odyssey must have completed his build, I think. He was part of the cabinet mini GB (by magma). Of course he is spoiled with choices from his stable of speakers:)

Capt, did you opt for the Sonicaps? It is truly a worthy upgrade.

Yes sir. :D

I've not seen Odyssey frequenting the forum as much as before. So I'm not sure if he has done his build.

I did opt for the Sonicaps for the Left, Right and Centre channels. The surrounds already have the upgraded caps.

Take up this build on the double. You don't know what you have been missing!

Will know soon. :licklips:

X-LS : pending - the tweeters flush mounting depth gone is off by 3-4 mm. - reworking.
Stationery shops stock craft foam sheets. Use that to cut out gaskets to fill up the depth. It will also isolate the tweeter nicely from the cabinet :D

Stationery shops stock craft foam sheets. Use that to cut out gaskets to fill up the depth. It will also isolate the tweeter nicely from the cabinet :D

Since foam sheets are highly porous and do not have substantial mass, they would get compressed unevenly and may not be able to provide a air tight seal. Using a rubber gasket sheet would be a better option. These would be available in hardware stores.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back