Best ever deal for loudspeaker kits.

This is a complete kit including drivers, crossovers, bass ports and even wires and screws. He will give box plan also. If you source drivers locally, who will design the box plan, crossovers etc. Do you think we will be able to do it?[/QUOTE]

Sorry Capt., completely forgot about the deal having all the components, just checked the same on the link you've provided in the 1st post!

So now we need to find out about 1) The Final Landed Cost of the Kit & 2) Who will help us with the Cabs & its allied cost.

OK. Here goes the list:

Confirmed members for Original X-LS Stereo pair

1. Omishra

Confirmed members for X-LS Encore Stereo pair

1. Stereorules
2. Arunlouie
3. Captrajesh (2 pairs)

Confirmed members for Original C-LS Centre speaker

1. Captrajesh

Sitting on the fence:

1. Anm
2. Jaudere
3. Vinny_Wills

All those wanting to participate can copy and paste the previous list and add their name in the relevant location i.e. Original LS / Encore / Sitting on the fence.;)

Doesnt that require intricate knowledge of the mentioned crossover design and what can be done with it ? The US version crossover is a collaborative effort between Danny and DAppolito. It is not the same as upgrading parts !

FS: Usher Be-718 (Tiny Dancers) w/ Core Audio Design Stands

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Usher Audio Technology Be-718 Loudspeakers (10/2007)

Danny is on record on techtalk forums (user id - framus) for this. Orignial xo was done by joeD. Danny was hired to improvise it. He practically threw out everything and started from scratch.

Sorry Capt., completely forgot about the deal having all the components, just checked the same on the link you've provided in the 1st post!

So now we need to find out about 1) The Final Landed Cost of the Kit & 2) Who will help us with the Cabs & its allied cost.

Actual cost may vary but here is what it appears to be.

Original X-LS pair ($109) + Ocean Freight(10%) + Customs(30%) + Insurance (?%)

4905 + 500 + 1472 + ? = Rs. 6876/- + Insurance.

Cabinets should not cost more than 4k IMO.

Any inputs from experts?

hmmm. That gives me some idea. Good. I am inclining towards encore.
Can experts comment here whether the tweet will be worth additional cost for Encore?

I am on the fence - just wondering about the advice of all experts here - listen before you buy :) I am thinking of buying 5.0 or 7.0.

Danny is on record on techtalk forums (user id - framus) for this. Orignial xo was done by joeD. Danny was hired to improvise it. He practically threw out everything and started from scratch.

Yup...i know a bit more :)

Since this is a public forum, it is not wise to get into details. Suffice to say that Danny is an extremely competent designer and one of the well-known and respected ones in the speaker world.

Captain, please upgrade me to X-LS Encore Stereo pair. That saving of 40$ should not be landing me to pitfall.

Thanks
Hi Mishra,

Nothing like pitfall. The upgraded version consists of a far better tweeter from peerless which is one of the best in business. The more you spend, the more you get. In fact, the Skiing Ninja version which has beaten other very reputed speakers had several upgraded parts like Sonicaps, Mills resistors and Erse XQ inductors and point-to-point wiring in the X-over.

I'm posting the amended list:

Confirmed members for Original X-LS Stereo pair

Confirmed members for X-LS Encore Stereo pair

1. Stereorules
2. Arunlouie
3. Omishra
4. Captrajesh (2 pairs)

Confirmed members for Original C-LS Centre speaker

1. Captrajesh

Sitting on the fence:

1. Anm
2. Jaudere
3. Vinny_Wills

I am not sure how economical this group buy is going to be. when buying mass quantities, you will be paying customs. if you buy 1 pair, it will be less than 200$, hence no customs. though u will save on shipping buying lots of them

Good thread, I hope you guys can pull it off.

I think you need to check if the group buy can be packed with individual labels so that the customs guys dont club everything together.

For those of you who arent too confident about building, let me tell you that any half baked carpenter can do these, provided the plans are clear. It's not worth shipping the enclosures across, only the hardware-drivers, crossovers, terminals, etc.

Also an MDF enclosure is possible with a pint finish as is one with decorative plywood/veneer over the MDF.

Hi Mishra,

Nothing like pitfall. The upgraded version consists of a far better tweeter from peerless which is one of the best in business. The more you spend, the more you get. In fact, the Skiing Ninja version which has beaten other very reputed speakers had several upgraded parts like Sonicaps, Mills resistors and Erse XQ inductors and point-to-point wiring in the X-over.

I'm posting the amended list:

Hi captain,
On better thought I would like to stick back to "Original X-LS Stereo pair". :p
I can upgrade XO components to my taste w/o altering values. This will be after listening iteration. So better start with basic and go on.

Sorry for the trouble.

Hi Captain,

This is great. In one of the threads you mentioned that a mid sized receiver will do to power these. Can a denon receiver with 85W power do the work.

Also what style of music would be best for these speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Captain,
I am opting out of the buy. Sitting on fence is painful. Oouch!

I was in dilemma about whether to improve my open baffles or build/buy new book shelves. I think I should pay attention to open baffles first & that will cost me at least 7k. So I cant spare money for this project at present.

However it is a great initiative and the speaker and cross overs look really good. Best luck :)

I am not sure how economical this group buy is going to be. when buying mass quantities, you will be paying customs. if you buy 1 pair, it will be less than 200$, hence no customs. though u will save on shipping buying lots of them
We are still in the stage of working out the economies of scale. BTW, I bought a Class D amp kit an year ago. It was just $171 and came via USPS and Indian Post but they levied a custom charges of about Rs. 700/-
I think you need to check if the group buy can be packed with individual labels so that the customs guys dont club everything together.
Thanks for the suggestion George, will check that out.
In one of the threads you mentioned that a mid sized receiver will do to power these. Can a denon receiver with 85W power do the work.

Also what style of music would be best for these speakers.
Give me some time as I've not yet consolidated on the info provided by Danny.
Hi Captain,
I am opting out of the buy. Sitting on fence is painful. Oouch!

I was in dilemma about whether to improve my open baffles or build/buy new book shelves. I think I should pay attention to open baffles first & that will cost me at least 7k. So I cant spare money for this project at present.

However it is a great initiative and the speaker and cross overs look really good. Best luck :)
No problem Jaudere. Wish you all the best.

Hey guys,

After Rajesh sent me a link to here and I saw the interest and questions, I figured it would be easier to join you guys and answer all of your questions directly. So if you have them just fire away.

Regarding Usher and my work on the BE-718: Usher was paying Joe D' a consulting fee to basically use his name. And who wouldn't want to use his name? He is a well known industry founder. Usher designed the BE-718 and sent it to Joe. Joe tested and measured it and signed off on it. It was a really good design.

What happened after that was the North American importers sent me a pair to play with and asked me to see how far I could take them. They really felt like they could be better and wanted them to be more of a statement piece that would beat all other mini-monitors.

So I threw out the crossover and started over. In the end it was not far from their original design based on the order, but only two part values were common to the two of them, and I think those were resistors. I also chose the type of parts used and the quality of the Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and Erse XQ inductors were a significant improvement over the stock crossover. I sourced the crossover manufacturer as well.

Needless to say it was a lot better and won awards at just about every magazine. And they still slipped Joe D's name in there in all their advertising. Most reviewers thought he did the whole thing.

The drivers for all of the X Series kits and many of the other drivers that bare the GR Research name come from Peerless of India. They have been doing a wonderful job building drivers for us since 1996. All of the drivers are custom built to our specs and are never off the shelf units or a common driver that they build. They are all built in production runs for us with minimums of 500 units of each model. So you can't save a few dollars buying them direct.

Prices for the X-Series kit have been deeply discounted to move them fast. The parts, drivers, etc all belong to Santiago and family. They were producing the X Series speakers for AV123 before AV123 closed the doors last year. So I am basically moving the product for them. Because it is already discounted pretty heavily, I can't offer any real discounts on them.

If you need or want to order a group order of any of our other kits or parts then I can offer some discounts on them.

I will try to work with you guys as best I can to find you the best shipping rates to save you as much as I can. It will be no problem to pack up a pallet load of product to send your way.

And I really appreciate everyone's interest in these. You'll really love these speakers. They racked up the awards tool

Thanks,

Most of the speakers of this type should be around 86-87dB so 85 wpc is more than enough power. FWIW, I use 28 wpc of tube power for my 87 dB speakers and they work very well.

Hello Danny,

I was interested in center channel and surround speakers for my home theater. I think the X-CS Encore is the center channel speaker but do not find any option for surround speakers in the current sale. I have read that the surround speakers need to produce a diffused sound field and hence dipole/bipole speakers are preferred.

Can I use Original/encore X-LS and use a different enclosure design to create surround speakers of a home theater system?

Are there any other other design considerations for surround speakers?

Thanks

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back