Best horor movies

I don't think this list can beat the horror of Ra.One, but I'll make humble and feeble attempt. Extending it a little beyond the Supernatural / paranormal and adding some cult movies as well, so this is not a "best" list, rather a random selection from the movies I've seen.

1. The Exorcist
  2. The Omen, Damien: Omen II and Omen III: The Final Conflict
  3. Ringu (Japanese). If interested, you can watch Ringu 2 and Ringu 0:The Birthday. Ringu: Spiral follows the book more closely and does not conform to the plot of the other two films.
  4. [Rec]
  5. Let the Right one in
  6. Shutter (2004 Thai Original): The American re-make is crappy. In general, I find original horror movies to be better than Hollywood re-makes though I can make an exception for a few films like The Ring.
  7. Tale of Two Sisters (Korean original)
  8. The Thing: John Carpenter version. One of my favorites!
  9. The Shining
  10. The Orphanage
  11. Evil Dead Series: Just get into a campy mood before watching. The second part is one of the first Horror Comedies I watched.
  12. Paranormal Activity: Wonder why people consider bass-heads as "bad" people? Watch this film. Apparently demons are associated with Sub-bass.
  13. Brain Dead / Dead Alive: Before Peter Jackson made movies on hobbits and giant apes, he was making really gory, vomit inducing movies on a tight budget. You should start with 'Bad Taste' though! A little later, he made "The Frighteners", which is a different kind of a film from these two.
  14. Near Dark: While not as great as many other vampire movies, this one is a slightly different take on vampire movies. Other vampire films from around that time would be "Fright Night" and "The Lost Boys".
  15. The Others: More psychological than scary.
  16. The Exorcism of Emily Rose: More a Court room drama than horror film, but well done!
  17. In the Mouth of Madness: A relatively unknown John Carpenter film with Sam Neill. I've watched it long time back and liked it well at that time. Not sure if it will satisfy me if I watch it again though!
  18. First three of the Dead Series by George Romero - The Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Day of the Dead (1985).

If you have the patience and the mind set, try watching F. W. Murnau's "Nosferatu" (1922). I was a bit annoyed by the lead actor, but the count's performance, make-up and special effects considering the time period stand out.

Excellent. And I love the fact that you mentioned "Tale of Two Sisters (Korean)". It is one of my fav.

Here are a few

1. Let The Right One In
2. Haute Tension.
3. The Thing (Original)
4. The Descent
5. 28 days later

Regarding the first movie, are you talking about the Eng version or the orginal Lt den rtte komma in?

Few movies (25) that not mentioned in this thread, which I loved (no particular order):
1. Event Horizon
2. The Tunnel
3. VHS
4. Silver Bullet
5. American Warewolf
6. Shaun of the dead
7. Dawn of dead (2004)
8. Carrie
9. Rosemary's baby
10. Jacob's Ladder
11. Trick or treat
12. Repulsion
13. Resident Evil
14. Drag me to Hell
15. childs Play
16. The other
17. The Mist
18. Pulse
19. Wolf CRek (more of Hostel kind)
20. The devil's backbone (Guillermo del toro's)
21. The Devil
22. The Devils (1970s Ken Russell movie)
23. The Birds (more of a thriller)
24. Dont look now
25. Jaws

One should not forget to add "sinister".
The upcoming movie "conjuring" would definitely make into somewhere in the top. I can say this just by viewing its trailer.
Robert de niro in cape fear still sends shudders into my spine.

Let me write the names of my fav horror/ thriller movies. I will also categorise them on the basis of their release date/ genre/ language.

Pre-80's/ Classic:

1.Black Christmas (1974) - Killer returns on the Christmas eve
2.Rope (1948) - Suspense and the entire movie shot in a single room/ apartment
3.Rosemary's Baby (1968) - A classic from Polanski
4.Psycho (1960) - What can I say about it?
5.The Shining (1980) - Killer Dad?

English/ Hollywood:

1.Exorcism of Emily Rose
2.Cradle of Fear - Extreme gore with no great plot staring Dani Filth, lead vocal of Cradle of Filth.
3.Population 436 - Interesting plot with Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit
4.The Others - Nicole Kidman is awesome and story/ suspense is perfect.
5.Child's Play - :licklips:
6.The Grudge (2004) - The Eng remake of Ju on. Try the original.
7.When a stranger calls (2006) - Full of tension/ tight spot and story/ no unnecessary violence or gore.
8.The Village
9.The Blairwitch Project - POV cam
10.Mirrors
11.Midnight meat train

Non-Eng/ European:

1.Uccell Dalle Piume Di Cristallo, L (1970) - Italian thriller/ drama with tight suspense
2.Spoorloos (1988) - French suspense/ thriller. excellent plot unfolding but a bit slow.
3.A L' Interieur (2007) - extremely gore/ violent but worth an experience
4.Nekromantik (1987) - related to cannibalism but poor storyline and presentation.
5.Lat De Ratte Komma In (swedish)

Asian Horror:
1.Kimyo Na Sakasu - Filipino - Mediocre horror
2.Gin Gwai - Thai (original version of the Eng remake the eye)
3.Chakushin Ari (Jap)
4.Ringu (Jap)
5.Kairo (Jap)
6.Rinne (Jap)
7.Uzumaki (Jap)
8.Honogurai Mizu No Soko Kara (Jap)
9.Odishon (Jap)
10.Jisatsu Saakuru (Jap)
11.Janghwa, Hongryeon (Korean)
12.OldBoy (Korean)

These are few of my fav movies which I can remember right now (obviously after checking my movie list) but there are lots of other good/ entertaining horror movies too. By the way, try to watch the movies marked in red if you haven't.

Conjuring was just ok, trailor was great though!!!

The trailer was really interesting. But unfortunately most of the trailers are only interesting. :eek:hyeah:

Have watched Evil Dead 2013. Based on the same story line but special effects and presentation is fresh. However, I found the ending was too lengthy with unnecessary visual violence and blood which is very typical of Hollywood.

Well, the evil dead series itself is an unnecessary voilence.
But the latest one nicely kept up the tradition of the series. Everybody in the house attacking each other was like taking the tradition to the next level.
Awesome.

Couple of weeks back, I watched a French horror/ thriller called "Vertige". You guys can give it a try. Half of the movie is really interesting/ scary/ thrilling while the last half is pretty predictable.

Non-Eng/ European:

3.A L' Interieur (2007) - extremely gore/ violent but worth an experience

Asian Horror:
1. Kimyo Na Sakasu - Filipino - Mediocre horror

I am much more used to english titles for these films and hence took sometime to realize I've watched at least some of them :eek:

• "Inside" is one of my favorite disturbing movies. It is certainly not for everyone, but it's one of those rare movies where violence is felt rather than just 'seen' and 'heard'. Another movie I liked was "Martyrs". Not sure what I'd feel about them now, but back then, I was on the hunt for gore/violent movies with a disturbing feel and these two were the ones that stood out (apart from Cannibal Holocaust's actual animal killing scenes)
  • I did not like "Let me In" - the Hollywood's remake which failed to capture the essence of the swedish original. Somehow, Hollywood does not seem to do a great job of remaking horror movies, especially based on Asian films. I've only liked "The Ring" and "Grudge". The rest of them are mostly mediocre.
  • When I searched for "Kimyo Na Sakasu", I only found this - Kimy na skasu (2005) - IMDb. Can you point me to the Filipino movie?
  • I actually like "Ichi: The Killer" more than Audition :) (Ichi was more fun)
  • "I saw the Devil" (just for Choi Min-sik) should be on the list as well as the first part of the Vengeance trilogy, "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance". Didn't care much about "Lady Vengeance".

I am much more used to english titles for these films and hence took sometime to realize I've watched at least some of them :eek:

• "Inside" is one of my favorite disturbing movies. It is certainly not for everyone, but it's one of those rare movies where violence is felt rather than just 'seen' and 'heard'. Another movie I liked was "Martyrs". Not sure what I'd feel about them now, but back then, I was on the hunt for gore/violent movies with a disturbing feel and these two were the ones that stood out (apart from Cannibal Holocaust's actual animal killing scenes)
  • I did not like "Let me In" - the Hollywood's remake which failed to capture the essence of the swedish original. Somehow, Hollywood does not seem to do a great job of remaking horror movies, especially based on Asian films. I've only liked "The Ring" and "Grudge". The rest of them are mostly mediocre.
  • When I searched for "Kimyo Na Sakasu", I only found this - Kimy na skasu (2005) - IMDb. Can you point me to the Filipino movie?
  • I actually like "Ichi: The Killer" more than Audition :) (Ichi was more fun)
  • "I saw the Devil" (just for Choi Min-sik) should be on the list as well as the first part of the Vengeance trilogy, "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance". Didn't care much about "Lady Vengeance".

I prefer to watch the original rather than the Eng/ Hollywood remake. And dubbed movies are not my cup of tea. I'd prefer subtitles all the way.

Regarding 'Inside', I guess you are talking about this french stuff Inside (2007) - IMDb and not the Eng remake.

I did not find Cannibal Holocaust to be that disturbing especially after seeing movies like Hostel, Saw etc. But considering the era in which it was made, it is worth a watch, at least once.

I was talking about the movie Kimyo Na Sakasu with English title The Maid -http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0474791/ but here I did not see the original title as Kimyo Na Sakasu. So I guess somehow I mixed it up. Anyways I was referring to the filipino movie The Maid.

Have watched Ichi: The Killer but was not able to understand/ digest it completely. And surely the vengeance series is worth appreciation.

Nobody has mentioned Lars von Trier's Antichrist yet. Willem Dafoe looks like he was made for the role. One of my favorites. Quite an experience actually. Especially the SFXed surreal scenes. Love this thread.

Regarding 'Inside', I guess you are talking about this french stuff Inside (2007) - IMDb and not the Eng remake

Was there an English re-make? I never knew!

I have only watched 'Saw', not 'Hostel'. I do not remember it to be disturbing. What I remember was yet another hollywood thriller which was different and did not mind indulging in some violence. It never got to me that much!

With Cannibal Holocaust, the overall movie is so-so. But, the turtle scene is one of the yuckiest things in my movie memory ---- Cannibal Holocaust Turtle - YouTube

Oooh. How did I miss this thread.

I am a complete Horror Buff. I make it a point to watch the most scariest movies and I only watch at 2am.

Gonna put my list of top horror movies sortly and also scan thorugh this thread for some real time horror stuff.

Cheers...

Was there an English re-make? I never knew!

It was (un)fortunately not made since the directors did not agree. Read here - Interview: Julien Maury | SciFiNow - The World's Best Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Magazine

I have only watched 'Saw', not 'Hostel'. I do not remember it to be disturbing. What I remember was yet another hollywood thriller which was different and did not mind indulging in some violence. It never got to me that much!

With Cannibal Holocaust, the overall movie is so-so. But, the turtle scene is one of the yuckiest things in my movie memory ---- Cannibal Holocaust Turtle - YouTube

My first experience with gore was Hostel. So it created some impact on my mind at that time. But later on I have seen more or less gore, which I am not exactly fond of.

Yesterday watched thai horror movie "alone". Very intuitive horror scenes and terrific suspense. The theme of the movie itself is very very different.
All quality horror movie fans have to definetly watch it.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back