best in-ear in 400$-700$ range

amandalia

I'm no audiophile. I just like hearing good music and like to have the best device that i can afford. I own a Sennheisser ie80, previously i had ie8 also, i like the sound of ie80, been using it for about 2 years, want to upgrade now, so looking for best products in 400-700$ range. I have no brands that i prefer over others, so i'm open to suggestions. I'll be ordering from amazon us, a friend is going to carry.

I hear music for long hours (also for movies) so should be comfortable fit, thats one of the essential criteria.

Awaiting your suggestions :)

Thanks in advance!
Bhavesh.

I'm no audiophile. I just like hearing good music and like to have the best device that i can afford. I own a Sennheisser ie80, previously i had ie8 also, i like the sound of ie80, been using it for about 2 years, want to upgrade now, so looking for best products in 400-700$ range. I have no brands that i prefer over others, so i'm open to suggestions. I'll be ordering from amazon us, a friend is going to carry.

I hear music for long hours (also for movies) so should be comfortable fit, thats one of the essential criteria.

Awaiting your suggestions :)

Thanks in advance!
Bhavesh.

Hi Bhavesh,

Have you heard about Headphone amplifier and DAC?. Please tell us about source first then only we can contribute to your querry.

Cheers

Dheeraj

I don' think with your budget anything can topple IE80,

Why do you want to change it ?

Also how long can you listen with your IE80s continuously without a break ?

before suggesting you anything, kindly answer the following questions:

1. Why do you want to change your IE80?
2. What you like and don't like about IE80?
3. What kind of sound signature you are looking for?
4. Are you open to buy CIEMs?
5. What is your source?

Thanks for your quick replies :)

Few facts first, as i said earlier i am no audiophile, i belong to the category of people who would by a high-end DSLR just because they can. I mostly hear Kumar Sanu on my ie80, yes you heard that right!! and often AR Rahman and other Indian maestros. I don't know the difference between Jazz, rock, pop or trance. I don't even know how mids, highs and lows sound, or what it means. So i am that layman :rolleyes:

But, i once bought amplifier, only because i read that it enhances the voice quality and one should use it with high end in-ears. So, i bought SoundMAGIC A10, i used that on my iphone. Though, i haven't used that much. My source is my iphone.

I can sleep with my ie80s plugged. non-stop up to 2-3 hours. Quite comfortable.

I broke my right earplug of ie80 which could only be joined through fevi-quick. After doing that, the bass from the right has decreased due to air passing in the tiniest hole which is still there even after joining it. Sennheiser service station guys at mumbai also said nothing much could be done there.

I think that sums up all at my end. I have heard of fancy names westone, Shure, monitor, etc., but no clue absolutely whats good for me. As far as CIEMs are concerned, i think they wouldn't fit into my budget. I am open to it otherwise if i get exceptional sound quality (whatever i mean by that!)

Hoping to hear some good names :)

Thanks!

Bhai Abhi, I don't know what sound signature means, don't understand those terminology. I have answered rest of your questions in my previous reply.

Edit : what i liked about my ie80 - I could hear some beats from many songs which i couldn't hear it with other in ears. The bass and clarity were good.

thanks.

Bhai Abhi, I don't know what sound signature means, don't understand those terminology. I have answered rest of your questions in my previous reply.

Edit : what i liked about my ie80 - I could hear some beats from many songs which i couldn't hear it with other in ears. The bass and clarity were good.

thanks.

If you can get CIEM so I would recommend you to buy this: AUDIO EARZ AUD-5X

I checked the ciem option, going over budget and i don't think i want to go for it. Any other options can you suggest?

Wow! They look amazing. I have a friend who visits Shenzen often, will ask him to get one of these from him, after whatever i read about them on head-fi, i'm leaning more towards dn2000.

Abhishek thank you so much AND i still need your help :). Please guide me what amp and dac should i buy, primarily for hearing Indian music (except honey singh). I really don't know this world.. Would you pick for me an amp and source device? (my SoundMAGIC A10 is not working anymore) and a proper way to get the best of those new headphones :)

I know, logical answer would be there are plenty of choices and you what suits your requirement. So, consider me as a person who has never eaten chocolate in his life and what would you suggest if you were to suggest me a chocolate brand what would it be!!

Your suggestions are much appreciated!

Bhavesh.

Wow! They look amazing. I have a friend who visits Shenzen often, will ask him to get one of these from him, after whatever i read about them on head-fi, i'm leaning more towards dn2000.

Abhishek thank you so much AND i still need your help :). Please guide me what amp and dac should i buy, primarily for hearing Indian music (except honey singh). I really don't know this world.. Would you pick for me an amp and source device? (my SoundMAGIC A10 is not working anymore) and a proper way to get the best of those new headphones :)

I know, logical answer would be there are plenty of choices and you what suits your requirement. So, consider me as a person who has never eaten chocolate in his life and what would you suggest if you were to suggest me a chocolate brand what would it be!!

Your suggestions are much appreciated!

Bhavesh.

It is my pleasure helping you and any forum member :)

I can definitely help you. Before going further suggesting you anything for the source. I would like to know your budget for the source.

I think that would be upto 400$ for source and amp (cant stretch a bit if something stunning is available just out of my range).

Thanks.

Since you are used to Sennheiser IE-80, the logical and natural first choice would be:

1. Sennheiser IE-800 - MRP $799 (Street $690-740)

....followed by:

2. Shure SE846 - MRP $999 (Street $720-800)
3. Westone W50 - MRP $899 (Street $700-750)
4.JH Audio JH10-Pro - MRP $799 (Street $700-750) (custom ear molding available, at extra cost)
5. Shure SE535-LTD - MRP $599 (Street $510-550)
6. Shure SE535 - MRP $550 (Street $499-520)
7. Shure SE425 - MRP $349 (Street $285-300)... a favorite reference standard for sometime now.

The only Sennheiser that comes up to par with rest here, in terms of sonics, is the IE-800. I have heard Shure SE425 a few times and can vouch for it's performance as top notch (once I got the hang of inserting them into the ears correctly, I am not much for in-ears). The JH Audio JH10-Pro has to be custom fitted to the individual using ear molding, time consuming, but I believe it is worth it. Many rock and pop stars use this one for feedback during on-stage performance, they stay put perhaps.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back