Best matching speaker for NAD C350

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

Finally, I got hold of my NAD C350 today. It's a used amp and bought from one of the forum members (Thanks ANM for giving pointers to the right person).:yahoo:
Temporarily, I have paired the amp with my Sony speakers and I am liking the sound already. I know it is a great disgrace to the amp to be paired up to these speakers as these speakers lacks definition big time and have been made just to produce boomy bass.
Now, as one quest has ended another has just begin. Now I need to find the right speaker to be paired up with the NAD amp. My room size is small (about 10x10 sq feet) and the listening distance is not more than 5 feet. I prefer bright speakers as this amp is a bit laidback, so that I get a balanced music reproduction. Idea is to avoid ear fatigue as my listening sessions are long and the music is on most of the time in my room.
Recently, I have come across some offers of used bookshelf speakers which are as follows:
1. Wharfedale 8.2 @8k
2. Onkyo SK100 @7.5k

I have not heard any of these and have no clue how well they will go with the NAD amp. Any idea, how well these will team up with the NAD amp?

Can the audio gurus here show me the way to audio nirvana by suggesting some good speakers for this amp. I am mostly looking out for used speakers under 10k.

Cheers!
Vivek

there is a complete system under sale that has ma br2. Someone is buying the amp, you can buy the speakers. But these speakers too may be a little laid back.

The BR2 may overload the room depending on how close the speakers are to the wall. There is an Usher s520 for sale that pairs well with a NAD.
Cheers

The Nad C-350 is a champ. I used to own this amp long back. Budget line speakers (below 20k) are a complete waste for this amp. They deserve better.
You could go the DIY way and make much superior speakers than the typical imported budget line speakers. Or pick up the usher speakers suggested by sridhar.

Avoid the onkyo at any cost. The wharfedale 8.2 will be decent. But none will give you audio nirvana. Try and get the best speaker you can. Cables too are important. Stick to some wires like belden for interconnect and speaker wires which is cheap and quite good. The stand for the speakers needs to be sturdy. Have you budgeted for all this ?

Last edited:
Vivek,

From my experience, Monitor Audio and PSB go very well with NAD. Please do check them out. Wharfedale 8.2 might also be a good option...see if you can bring it down from 8K (which is slightly high for a used pair IMHO).

Bear in mind that you also need to invest in a good pair of speaker stands with bookshelves. Please build it into your budget.

the wharfedale is likely to be better than the onkyo simply because onkyo generally makes poor speakers (at least, whatever I've heard has been unimpressive). Any chance you can audition the combination?

And also, if you're looking in that budget do consider the Cambridge Audio S30. They are excellent value for around 8k.

the wharfedale is likely to be better than the onkyo simply because onkyo generally makes poor speakers (at least, whatever I've heard has been unimpressive). Any chance you can audition the combination?

And also, if you're looking in that budget do consider the Cambridge Audio S30. They are excellent value for around 8k.

Ok. Let me put down my requirements very clearly.
I need sound which is very clear without any boomy bass or shrill treble. The control over the bass should be good but it should not choke the finer details of the music. The soundstage should be very open and should give me an impression as if I am listening to music on my Koss Porta Pro headphones.

Does these specs meet any of the decently priced speakers or they are from the dreams?

i second soulforged. monitor audios go well with the nad. the br2's would be ideal. psb is a sister concern for nad and a good match as well

I have the Polk RTi A3 paired with Pioneer Vintage A5 Stereo Amp & they sound really good!

Last edited:
Any idea about how much the entry level monitor audio, psb and Polk Audio speakers costs? Are they also available at the second hand market?
My budget is 10k max (already spent an amount on the amp this month). So, on a tight budget.

your requirements are perhaps a bit ambitious, particularly on replicating headphone sound. You're not going to do that with even much more expensive speakers (i have no idea how your headphones sound, i am just speaking of headphones in general).

The Cambridge Audio S30 is an excellent speaker, with a good amount of detail, and a good amount of control over the lower frequencies. It is serious value for 8k. Give it a listen at least.

Yes Monitor Audio and PSB are good options. The PSB Alpha B1 would go really well with the NAD (i liked how it sounded with my C320), but it costs about 14k. Monitor Audio BR1 is probably the cheapest option but it's not supposed to be anywhere as good as the BR2, and even then it's above (at least) 15k from what i recall.

My recommendation. Audition the used 8.2, audition the CA S30, audition the PSB Alpha B1, and the wharfedale 10.1. See how much you like each. If either the 8.2 or the S30 work for you, then go for it, but if you like either the B1 or the 10.1 so much more than the other two, then wait for a bit, save up and buy those.

So, the CA seems to be the public choice! Going with the goodwill about these speakers, I am left with no other choice but to audition the CA speakers paired up with my NAD.
Now have to hunt for the dealers in Pune who stocks CA stuffs.
Thanks all for providing your valuable inputs. This forum rocks! :clapping:

was just leafing through an old copy of WHAT HIFI (circa 2006)..in the sound advice section there was someone who had the same query as yours...
the magazine folks recommended the following speakers for those amps:
(i)AVI's Neutron IV standmounters
(ii) Quad 11L

regards

vivek, is anyone coming over from uk/ spore/ hk/ us? Carrying bookshelves should not be a big pain.

Friends keep coming in from abroad but it is too much of a pain to ask them to bring along some stuff as they also has to carry their stuffs with them.:sad:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back