Best options to extend WIFI Range?

mitware

I have a Wi-Fi router hooked up to the Modem in the bedroom. Due to the router being hooked into the bedroom. I don't get decent Wi-Fi signal in my living room. Please recommend some options to either boost the Wi-Fi signal or extend its range. Thanks in Advance.

You can change the existing antenna to range extending antennas. This is what I did with mine TPlink. You can get additional 'range extenders' devices from the same company. Belkin hads advertised somedays before a new plug-like multi purpose device for extending wifi 3g range.

Hi there
In my opinion you have two options
1. As your modem and router are desperate, you can place your router at a central place in home with extended lan cable. Or get WiFi n router if you can change.
2. Add a repeater to your network. Like dlink dir 505 which can be used as AP or Router or Repeater.
Hope this helps.
Enjoy

1.Cheapest option would be change the existing antennae of your router with a high gain one , if the antennae is removable.Should cost you around Rs.400-700.

2.You can get a wifi range extender. TP-Link range extender is available around Rs.1600,then you have Netgear WNR2000RPT around 2500.

3.You can replace your existing wifi router with a one with better range. Would cost around 5k for a good range one.

IMO option 2 is the best. I am using the same setup at home and it works seamlessly.

^^Wireless N doesn't necessarily mean higher range, means higher speed.

if you have a adls then cheapest option is to buy a long telephone cable. through that you can place your router at any place centrally located in your home.

i did that. all under 300-400rs.

Am using a D-Link DR505 repeater in my bedroom since my ADSL & WiFi router is in the living room hooked to my desktop. It works seamlessly and flawlessly once you configure it. Using it for more than three months now. Costed me Rs.1400/-.

Thanks everyone for your replies. In regards to Dir-505, I am assuming that if I place it in my living room, it will be able to connect wireless to my Wi-Fi Router in the Bed Room. Is that correct?

Also my Wi-Fi router is Netgear wgr614v10.

Positioning of the router is the key. Best results can ve achieved by placing in central open spaces. So yes the living room placement should work out better. Try elevating the router. Putting it on top of a cupboard/chest of drawers/cabinet etc further asisits even dispersion of signals. Wifi signals best travel sideways and below...

a little experimentation with just the wifi router plugged in at various points in the house while u check signals with a phone or laptop, can give you a good insight into its effectiveness. On a single floor upto 2500 sq ft a regular router is just about enough when placed rightly.

tapped on Note II cdma

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back