Best Plasma Panels - Quality wise Only

Best Plasma !!! Quality vs Price !!!

• Total voters

mridulgoel

Banned
Banned
Dear Friends

There are a lot many players in market for Flat Panels, but the foremost and the best OEM's in market are still the pioneers in Plasma Panels...
1). Pioneer
2). Hitachi
3). NEC
4). Panasonic

These are the ratings they stood up, from ages, and no other apart from these 4 can match there level...

Whenever a customer visits market for a Flat Panel, they are directed to LCDs, stating that Plasma is an Obsolete Technology, but, how many do know the Truth...???

Plasma Technology was invented in early 1980's, where LCD were invented in Late 1870's / 1880's...

We are using LCD Technology since our birth (most of us...LOL...:p), in terms of LCD watches and Calculators, and other kind of stuff, where Plasma is almost 100yrs new technology than LCDs...
But, anyhow, now OLEDs are the latest in Flat Panels...
(what Flat they are just 5mm thick, even air can blew it off...hehe)

So, hop in with your comments on the same...
As per you what are the reasons why few companies prefer LCDs over Plasmas...
What speciality do LCD have over Plasmas...
What is better in your opinion in terms of PQ, Eye Protection, and Life...

Seriously this is one Hot Topic to discuss...

Hop in with your comments...Buddies...

Regards

Mridul Goel

Before voting, mridul can you confirm you just requesting to vote purely based on performance & appearance? or value for money & performance?

<a plasma fan since 2004>.....</LCD fan from end of 2008> ....

Why is Hitachi rated over Panasonic ? Any specific reason ?

Hitachi is better in comparison to Panasonic...
These are listed according to the report of the association of Flat Panel Manufactures (Sorry doesnt resemble the exact name), in Japan.
The results are based on there 2007 report...

And Panasonic has been moved down to China now, maybe thats one more reason...
And Panasonic is bound more on sales figures compared to quality built in. This is prooved by there regular price drops, and as per the result, they are generating more service issues than Hitachi...

As per the survey, approx. 1 out of 400 Hitachi users need service in 1st year of warranty, where approx. 1 out of every 250 Panasonic users, need service in 1st year of warranty.

Anyways, in 50" Full HD, Panasonic is better than Hitachi, but in 42" Hitachi is better than Panasonic...

Before voting, mridul can you confirm you just requesting to vote purely based on performance & appearance? or value for money & performance?

<a plasma fan since 2004>.....</LCD fan from end of 2008> ....

Dear Sunil

End of 2008...???

Are you expecting something special in LCDs by end of 2008, for which you will be a fan of LCD from 2008 end...???

Anyways, the votings are based on Quality vs Price, but the comments are on the basis of Quality only...

This is becaue, Most of members, may benefit, by the poll result, for Quality vs Price, and in discussion they can learn more about the Technology...

I'd expect decent sized [60inch or more] affordable 100hz LCDs picture frame style from end of this year, hence the comment

Pioneer Kuro is my choice, but when it comes to VFM, panasonic is winner IMO:). Voted for panasonic. Thanks

owned Plasmas

a. Panasonic PWD4 (42inch) 2004
b Panasonic PW7 (37 inch) 2005-2006
c. Panasonic viara 42PX600 dec 2006

Last edited:
The best plasmas are the pioneer kuros hands down though panasonic has closed the gap with the G11 panels(PV80/PV85) which are still to show up in India. Hitachi and Samsung are no way close to either. AFAIK NEC no longer makes Plasma TVs. I tested a full HD 50" hitachi and was quite unimpressed. It had severe flicker issues.

The best plasmas are the pioneer kuros hands down though panasonic has closed the gap with the G11 panels(PV80/PV85) which are still to show up in India. Hitachi and Samsung are no way close to either. AFAIK NEC no longer makes Plasma TVs. I tested a full HD 50" hitachi and was quite unimpressed. It had severe flicker issues.

Buddy...

I totally disagree your comments on Hitachi...

Regarding the flickering issue, it all depends, on the location, and input given, you cant blame a panel for that...
And moreover, do give this a attention....

Where ever in Panasonic, you will find a demo, they prefer gicing demos with there Full HD Player, or for Tata Sky, they use an amplifier to upscale the picture, and apart from all of that, in Panasonic Brand shops, the environment, is perfectly as per the home theatre room, so it gives a better look...

I have compared Pioneer Kuro, Hitachi, Panasonic & Samsung Plasmas...
Pioneer no doubt, at 1024x768 contrast tops the list, where Hitachi 1024x1080 is better than compared to Panasonic, and much better than Samsung & LG...All 50" Plasma...

All 4 Plasmas were mounted on same wall side by side, and were tested in different lighting modes, on contrast basis, and played sports, movies, news, and other channels & discs...

Panasonic no doubt is a good product too, but still not better than Hitachi...

Yes but, i will even say, new model of Hitachi 42" P42A01A, is a bit less in quality, than Panasonic 42PV70H, but, still Blur issues in Panasonic, make people to move to Hitachi...

Regards

Mridul

Its just not me... even a few websites reported flickering with the Hitachi Plasmas. I had taken my HTPC to a reliance digital to check as I was real keen on the P50X01A. I tried both component and HDMI inputs on the TV and there was slight flickering at 1920x1080 and significant flickering at 1366x768. May not be visible in video but on a completely white background there was perceptible flicker.

Here are more reports of flicker on this particular TV

Hitachi P50X01A

Hitachi P50X01A (50-inch plasma) Video Review - TVs - CNET Asia

Its just not me... even a few websites reported flickering with the Hitachi Plasmas. I had taken my HTPC to a reliance digital to check as I was real keen on the P50X01A. I tried both component and HDMI inputs on the TV and there was slight flickering at 1920x1080 and significant flickering at 1366x768. May not be visible in video but on a completely white background there was perceptible flicker.

What about the Hitachi LCD? Does it have any problems? I have my eye on the L42X01A and hope to get it sometime before end of the year.

What about the Hitachi LCD? Does it have any problems? I have my eye on the L42X01A and hope to get it sometime before end of the year.

No such issues... the hitachi LCDs are the best in the business as I stated in the other thread. Decent contrast and sharpness with very natural color... quite unlike the oversaturated sony lcds.

@square_wave: Never seen any 37 inch plasmas on display so can't really comment.

This & the thread re LCD Panels are turning out to be very good ideas-would be extremely useful as a point of reference/departure for members contemplating a purchase.
Congrats, Mridul, lets hope for more responses.

I'd still suggest that you hang on a while until the Panasonic PV80/85 series plasmas hit indian shores. Initial US reviews state that they are very very close to the Pioneers in terms of picture quality at a much lower price point.

I'd still suggest that you hang on a while until the Panasonic PV80/85 series plasmas hit indian shores. Initial US reviews state that they are very very close to the Pioneers in terms of picture quality at a much lower price point.

Appreciate the heads up, ROC. Will be glad to wait as video is low priority for me. Thanks.

IMHO, Panasonic beats everything else hands down when it comes to plasma PQ for a given price. I've had a 42" Panny for the last couple of years and when I was shopping around, the PQ was beaten only by two other TVs - Pioneer plasma and Sony's V series LCDs. The Pio was too expensive while I ignored the Sony since most of my TV watching is DVDs in a darkened room so I needed deep blacks.

Another interesting thing when I was doing this - the guys at the Panny brand shop were very co-operative. I asked them to shut off all the overhead lighting, changed the contrast/brightness/colour settings to my liking and then I sat and compared all of them with my own DVDs. Did this twice!

I also saw Samsung and LG and Philips plasmas - they were nowhere close to the PQ of the Pio and the Panny.

My $0.02

Buddy...

Thats strange about P50X01A - Hitachi...

But, seriously, in our tests, we never found out any such problems...

any more experience on Hitachi P50X01A would be more appreciable...

As when we are selling too many of Hitachi's and less of Panasonic, it gets too important for us to maintain standards in order to keep out customers Happy...

More comments would be appreciable...

I don't want to hurt anyones assumptions and comments, but it's not just my experience, I can run down with you guys live example that no-one here even considere hitachi as a good brand. Either panasonic or pioneer! Year 2006 pioneer had tough time with higher failure rates when coupled with SKY HD boxes & panasonic dominated the whole plasma market. But with the arrival of Full HD (1080p) plasmas Pioneer again gained the market, as panasonic had slight (SD downscaling) problems with their Full HD models.

To echo raptor's comments, pioneer is expensive for me. When in replace my existing panel, I'd go for LCD.

IMHO, Panasonic beats everything else hands down when it comes to plasma PQ for a given price. I've had a 42" Panny for the last couple of years and when I was shopping around, the PQ was beaten only by two other TVs - Pioneer plasma and Sony's V series LCDs. The Pio was too expensive while I ignored the Sony since most of my TV watching is DVDs in a darkened room so I needed deep blacks.

I don't want to hurt anyones assumptions and comments, but it's not just my experience, I can run down with you guys live example that no-one here even considere hitachi as a good brand. Either panasonic or pioneer! Year 2006 pioneer had tough time with higher failure rates when coupled with SKY HD boxes & panasonic dominated the whole plasma market. But with the arrival of Full HD (1080p) plasmas Pioneer again gained the market, as panasonic had slight (SD downscaling) problems with their Full HD models.

To echo raptor's comments, pioneer is expensive for me. When in replace my existing panel, I'd go for LCD.

Why LCD ? Can you elaborate ?
Thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back