best sounding Full Range driver|box

keith_correa

Any idea on what the best sounding FR driver + box plan is [of course acc. to your own opinion]?

Would appreciate thoughts/comments/links to those speakers that were actually built or heard by you. Please post details/pics [enclosure plans too please] and also why you consider it the best sounding.

Last edited:
Is there a price range you're looking at for the drivers?

Actually none that I had in mind but I guess that price is important too so shall we say "Commonly available [not necessarily in India] and priced around $100 - $150 per driver?

^for that price range i guess fostex or tang band will be the best bet.

Tangband Speakers

OK, I guess it's my fault for probably not being clear enough. Don't just need lists of drivers in that price range but need opinions on FR drivers in enclosures and which you have heard and which you think sounds good/excellent/best. Details of enclosures would be appreciated too.

OK, I guess it's my fault for probably not being clear enough. Don't just need lists of drivers in that price range but need opinions on FR drivers in enclosures and which you have heard and which you think sounds good/excellent/best. Details of enclosures would be appreciated too.

I am not sure if I'd be able to help you much as I've not heard much of full rangers, but the following designs are pretty well regarded based on what I've been reading:

Bigger Is Better 'BIB' Cabinet Dimensions - ZillaSpeak

The Spawn Family of Double Horns

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Projects

The following helped me understand a teeny bit of the science behind FR and enclosure designs:

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Transmission Line Speakers

Just in case you haven't stumbled on the following links, they are some of the best places to go as far as FR's are concerned:

Fullrangedriver Forum

diyAudio Forums - Full Range

i have only heard the coral and fostex sigma. coral sounded excellent and fostex sounded very good in terms of FR driver sound characteristics.

fostex sigma was in an enclosure made of MDF and double horn design, did not get the details of the enclosure when l listened to the coral.

i have only heard the coral and fostex sigma. coral sounded excellent and fostex sounded very good in terms of FR driver sound characteristics.

fostex sigma was in an enclosure made of MDF and double horn design, did not get the details of the enclosure when l listened to the coral.

Could you please tell me where you listened to these?

^i heard there are a lot of people who own excellent inexpensive and expensive single driver speakers but the thing is that most people in chennai don't really come out and let people know what they have in a forum or a blog.

my friend is in the process of making a single driver floor stander based on a fostex sigma 8 inch driver, lemme wait and see how that turns out.

my friend is in the process of making a single driver floor stander based on a fostex sigma 8 inch driver, lemme wait and see how that turns out.

Why don't you ask your friend to join hifivision.com. That way we will be able to follow his progress and learn about what he is doing too. Also there are a lot of folks here who know what they are talking about and give excellent advice/suggestions.

^will do but, if he ain't joining then i will post his progress with pictures here.

i guess he did get few of the ideas from the DIY audio forum.

common sense audio also sells their inhouse audio nirvana full range drivers. Claiming them to be as good as lowthers. TNT audio has review of one of their budget drivers. They can ship to India.

common sense audio also sells their inhouse audio nirvana full range drivers. Claiming them to be as good as lowthers. TNT audio has review of one of their budget drivers. They can ship to India.

These drivers have got rave reports from DIY'ers. They say that the cabinets for these drivers that David Dicks of CommonSense Audio recommends are not at all complicated and best of all - the speakers sing.

These drivers have got rave reports from DIY'ers. They say that the cabinets for these drivers that David Dicks of CommonSense Audio recommends are not at all complicated and best of all - the speakers sing.

No doubt CSA sells some of the best drivers, but from what I've been reading, their cab designs are nothing but a reflex box with the driver slapped into it and the design doesn't change much with the drivers. If it was me, I'd rather build a cab that was designed ground up for the driver I'm using. Maybe it should be taken with a pinch of salt but a lot of people have commented that the SQ is just about OK and not as exceptional as the blurbs on the CSA site would suggest.

@rajapraveen80: Is your friend using the Fostex design? That would mean 3 sheets of 8X4 ply per cab! I've not seen many other cab designs for the 208 Sigma. It would be much helpful if you could post progress of the build here...

hi. If you dont have taboo against indian brands, try ahuja 12" & 15" full range drivers. Never heard them but specs wise they look good. Should give better lower end freq than 8" drivers. You can see them on ahuja radios web site. As far as personal experience goes i am using philips 8" full range drivers on open baffle. I like the sound a lot. Of course they need help from woofers at lower end at least on open baffle but mids and highs are excellent. They are just 15 watt RMS but serve my purpose very well. They are dirt cheap. Rs 500/- per pair & its not a mistake in that price. 25w rms is also available. Only philips india manufactures them. They are not there on web site. Bought them from pune few months back. T-S parameters not available.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back