Best Value AVR for hi def audio formats/ pre-out?

anm

Hi,
Please suggest a good value for money AVR for
- latest high definition audio formats/ audio over hdmi
- pre outs so that more power can be added later.
- less buggy to use.

Do not need video upscaling, just need it to send all video inputs (s-video, composite, component, hdmi over hdmi output.

1909 from denon has good reviews. Any other AVR that comes close to this and sound better? Some latest pricing info would be very helpful.

regards

and does anyone of them has 2 hdmi outputs?
An external splitter should be fine too.

What is your budget and listening style (movies/music). Also why do you need 2 HDMI outs? Once you fix the budget you will get a smaller set of AVRs to work with. Otherwise the list may become unmanagable.

One for my projector, and another for the TV. But an external splitter (hoping it won't introduce noise) should be ok too.
It would be great if it can transfer all video (tata sky, comp) to projector over HDMI so that I can save on some cables running across.
I am looking to spend around ~35k but can go higher if getting some great deal. I can add more power for fronts later, if needed.
Listening style is 60% HT/ AV, 40% is music.

Last edited:
One for my projector, and another for the TV. But an external splitter (hoping it won't introduce noise) should be ok too.
It would be great if it can transfer all video (tata sky, comp) to projector over HDMI so that I can save on some cables running across.
I am looking to spend around ~35k but can go higher if getting some great deal. I can add more power for fronts later, if needed.

2 HDMI outs (all are on the expensive side)
Onkyo 876, onkyo 906, Marantz SR8001

The gefen 1:2 Splitter for HDMI 1.3 ($300) really works well, do check the reviews etc for any issues with it. (Instead of shelling out an additional 50K on a receiver with 2 HDMI outs, i think this is definitely a better deal)

BTW, the Denon 1909 does NOT have pre-outs!
YOu should check the Yamaha V663 (similar specs, no upconversion, with pre-outs, 2 sub outs, better DACs than the 1909).

Cheers!

For HD audio & mov as priority-

Onkyo 606 is best with 1080i upscaler,Ciruss DAC.
Yam 663 equally good with HD aud,no scaler,Burrbrown DAC.
Denon HD range starts from 1909 only with 1080p scaling.

Yam cld be selected for both mov & music.

You are better off using a cheap splitter for your budget. Some models to consider are:

Yamaha RXV663
Onkyo TXSR 706

Denons are higher priced to have the preouts. So are pioneers.

Nitin is on the dot here around pricing. They are both around 35K give or take a couple thousand depending on the package one buys or the bargaining power.

ok - I am ready to buy denon 2309 with warranty etc. at a good price point. Do sellers see posts here? In case they do, send me a message. I am in Delhi NCR.

ok - I am ready to buy denon 2309 with warranty etc. at a good price point. Do sellers see posts here? In case they do, send me a message. I am in Delhi NCR.

Hi Anm,

Hope you realize that the 2309 does not have pre-outs. The 2809 is the one that has it.

oh no! I thought 2309 has pre-outs!

Denon USA | AVR-2309CI

Click on Download and Manuals and click on owners manual for any AVR. In the first few pages there is a rear connection picture (around 9th page or shortly thereafter) and check for pre-outs. You need to see atleast 5 (one for each speaker)

UPDATE : Based on Nitish's quote below - There are indeed pre-outs for the models for Asian market. Only the North American ones dont have the preouts.

Last edited:
I agree with what you said. So I go back to my initial question. Hi def sound and pre-outs with a budget range of 40k.

For 2309 the price difference with grey market is HUGE?!? Any typos here?

Hi,
No typos here.
Denon 2309 MRP (from Profx in Mumbai) is 52k, and they came down to 48-49k.
From Grey market I was quoted 39k, but I bargained and bought it for 36.5k from Sound Out Heera Panna.
The only disadvantage from grey market purchase is that not only there is no 1 year warranty, the official service centre won't take in your piece for any repair, if it is not purchased from them.
But Sound Out assured me that they know the Denon engineers and in case of any malfunction, they can get it done unofficially.

Hi Anm,

Hope you realize that the 2309 does not have pre-outs. The 2809 is the one that has it.

Hi Marsilians,
The Denon 2309 which we buy here in India, whether official or grey market is not the US model, and is the Japanese one. This one has pre-outs for all channels.
Download the manual from the Denon Singapore or UK site.

Cheers
Nitish

Hi Marsilians,
The Denon 2309 which we buy here in India, whether official or grey market is not the US model, and is the Japanese one. This one has pre-outs for all channels.
Download the manual from the Denon Singapore or UK site.

Cheers
Nitish

Thanks for the correction Nitish. My apologies if I have caused any confusion. I will edit my post to specify the US model.

Denon 1909 at 39k (grey mkt 33k), 2309 49k(grey mkt 37k) 2309 has preouts.
Yamaha 663 approx. 35k
Onkyo 606 36k.
I bought Denon 2309 last month. It's just great

Yamaha RX-V663 - 46,500/- (prices hiked from Jan 1)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back