BIC AMERICA PL 200 II vs SVS PB1000/SB1000

Guess I got the wrong comparison going. Right one will be SVS PB1000 vs XTZ 10.17

My opinion

If your choice is XTZ, then go for the EDGE version as the ICE amp used in the EDGE version is known to be more reliable than the amp in the regular XTZ. But you will have to pay a premium of around Rs.10,000 for the Edge amp over the regular amp.
One more point to note about the XTZ is, these subs wont play below 19hz. I believe that its Infrasonic Filter is set to 19hz and hence it cant play anything below that.
The sound quality is very good for both movies and music. But I believe the SVS PB series will be much stronger than the XTZ around 20hz, while the XTZ will have its advantage above 30hz.
The XTZ integrates very well with the Main speakers for music. If you set this subwoofer properly, this subwoofer will disappear completely. This sub is also tight and clean. You will never get ear fatigue or headache even if you listen to this subwoofer for a long time.
If your preference is Movies, then go for the SVS and if you prefer Music then I will recommend to choose the XTZ.
IMHO the XTZ 12.17 Edge is more powerful than dual XTZ 10.17 (non Edge) version.
Rythmik is another option, but I have no Knowledge about them expect having read rave reviews about them online.

ha ha. True.
Even the Mobile phones were overpriced in the beginning in our country. But ever since the market expanded exponentially the cost of mobile phones reduces well and now its comparable with the US price.
So, let us hope that lot of people from our country start buying AV gears, so that their price will also become fair.

ha ha. True.
Even the Mobile phones were overpriced in the beginning in our country. But ever since the market expanded exponentially the cost of mobile phones reduces well and now its comparable with the US price.
So, let us hope that lot of people from our country start buying AV gears, so that their price will also become fair.
Even then I don’t think they will reduce the prices. If u take the past two years prices have gone up rapidly. Pl200-II was launched at 32-33k and sold for 30-32k and within a span of two years increased to 10k. Similarly other products as well. The more they sell also the prices increase. They will keep coming up with reasons such as gst, customs logistics etc and blame government for everything

ha ha. True.

Well said.....

Even then I don’t think they will reduce the prices. If u take the past two years prices have gone up rapidly. Pl200-II was launched at 32-33k and sold for 30-32k and within a span of two years increased to 10k. Similarly other products as well. The more they sell also the prices increase. They will keep coming up with reasons such as gst, customs logistics etc and blame government for everything

GST has caused issues...heard that some more items from 28% and 18% brackets of GST are moving to the lower segments of the GST bands....I hope electronics reduce....(AVRs, Speakers etc).

GST has caused issues...heard that some more items from 28% and 18% brackets of GST are moving to the lower segments of the GST bands....I hope electronics reduce....(AVRs, Speakers etc).
GST is not the issue as it is lower than the erstwhile customs+surcharge+VAT. The dollar has been stronger for past couple of years and import cost would have gone up. Most of the dealers in India prefer the 'under table - transact without bill' business. Since everything has to be billed, their margin is marked up much higher to cover the income tax on profits which they were evading before.
Given that hifi is a luxury segment, it is unlikely that the dealers would pass on Fx benefits or tax rate reduction benefits back to the consumers.

GST is not the issue as it is lower than the erstwhile customs+surcharge+VAT. The dollar has been stronger for past couple of years and import cost would have gone up. Most of the dealers in India prefer the 'under table - transact without bill' business. Since everything has to be billed, their margin is marked up much higher to cover the income tax on profits which they were evading before.
Given that hifi is a luxury segment, it is unlikely that the dealers would pass on Fx benefits or tax rate reduction benefits back to the consumers.

Agree.....have some dealers who are friends for more than a decade now.....GST and Dollar rates have affected most....

Some dealers also fix huge margin for the products they sell.
Focal speakers were priced very fair until it was with the ProFx. The Focal Electra 1028 BE was having an MRP of around Rs.4 Lakh while with ProFx, but after the dealership changed, the same model 1028Be's were priced to around Rs.5.5Lakh.

Definitive Technology ProSub 1000

The SVS & XTZ will be far superior to Definitive prosub 1000. I had it, it is not a bad sub per say but certainly does not go down to 18 Hz as mentioned in the specs. Maybe goes down to 30 to 35 hz. If you check on the net Definitive technology has a reputation of fudging their specs which I learnt later to my dismay.
Hence sold it & went for an SVS sub & absolutely no regrets. In fact the sub exceeded my expectations by large. Besides when the Definitive Prosub 1000 outputs low bass at a high volumes, the subwoofer starts moving around the place & you can feel that the subwoofer is straining because the bass is not well defined. . Its that light & does not justify VFM. You can also go for Rhythmic subs which also have a very good reputation which I would seriously consider.

Agree, i had experience before with MK2 velodyne whichis no more seen these days. Yes SVS sub is good if you are ok with its boxy size.
I have little space so it was not prudent for me. Good Choice though what matters is your Happyness and satisfaction that counts. Where do you stay if u r based in mumbai i can have a look at your setup if you are comfo.

I am in Bangalore friends.

New addition to the setup is going to be a center channel. Somewhere I heard and center does 80% of work in an HT setup. Not sure how accurate that claim is - but that ensured I buy one and I placed an order for Polk S30 today. They are cheaper compared to S35, but the overall performance is rated better. Crutchfield also had a live demo online where you can switch and play them on same headphone - S30 definitely sounded better.

IMO - I haven't felt the dire need of a subwoofer in my setup so far. Music playback is extremely satisfying. I am not the one who needs window shaking stuff - all I want is - if there is a drum beat, I should feel the beat to my heart. Not the loudness, or vibrations - but just the feel. These Polk S55s with a 6.5in woofer, and another 6.5in mid bass are very strong and so far, they have been doing exceptionally well. I am sure an SVS or XTZ will better it - but I guess it has to wait for sometime.

Center channel is mainly to improve my movie listening experience. The dialogues and conversations need some improvement.

Agree, i had experience before with MK2 velodyne whichis no more seen these days. Yes SVS sub is good if you are ok with its boxy size.
I have little space so it was not prudent for me. Good Choice though what matters is your Happyness and satisfaction that counts. Where do you stay if u r based in mumbai i can have a look at your setup if you are comfo.

Hi Shah_ss, you are most welcome to come to my place to hear the setup. I will send you my number & we can take it forward accordingly. Even I have a space constraint hence went for the ported cylinder PC 2000. It takes around 16 inches of floor space but it is tall at 34 inches

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back