Blu-ray Home Theater System for Rs.70k

Sumukh

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a Blu-ray HT to go with my Sony EX700 (KDL-46EX700) LCD.
My budget is Rs. 70,000.

Originally, I had planned to buy a Sony PS3 for Rs.20k as a Blu-ray player and buy an AV receiver and speakers for the rest of the budget.
Now, after browsing the forum, I noticed some posts about region-free Blu-ray players and this has got me confused.

My (prioritized) requirements are:
1. Functionality and future proof wrt player and receiver.
Like 4K and 3D support​
2. Small speakers
I don't like to see BIG speakers in my Living room.​

Please help me choose the best components for my budget.

Is Onkyo 5400 available in India. I checked their Indian website and I could only see Onkyo 5300
If it is available, how much would approximately cost?

Also, how are the quality of Onkyo speakers?

I'm new to this stuff. Earlier, I used to buy Sony products and be done with it. Now, I want to try buying different AV player, receiver, speakers.

I'm looking around the forum and concur that 4k support is too much to ask for. Now I just want a player that can be made region free and can play lot of file formats ( mkv importantly, and support AAC too)

You can choose any new line receivers from denon,onkyo and yamaha along with a nice satellite package with a big sub that would give you room filling experience.

Energy take classic
Klipsch HDT 500
Boston Soundware xs
Paradigm cinema package
Deftech pro cinema
Tannoy SFX
Cambridge minx
Lithos
Orb Speakers
HSU Ventriloquist with STF2

would suggest Energy take classic with Denon 1612, both of them work well, i'm not sure if Orb audio will fit your budget, it starts with $798+shipping, adding Sony ps3 should be good choice, there are lots of advantage using PS3, it can used as a media hub to steam music/movies/photos from your PC which can be played through your receiver, however i'm not sure if PS3 can play other region blue ray discs. By the way where are you indenting to buy blue ray discs? why are you looking for region free player?

@mikehcm

These are my media sources:
  1. Import Blu-ray from US online
  2. Get Blu-rays from a relative of mine from US
  3. Anime downloaded. I watch Anime a lot and hence I want the player to play mkv. Since the encoding settings vary, a versatile player which supports wide range of h.264 and aac is needed. ( I assume AC3 support exists in all )
  4. Anime Blu-rays import from Japan (planning to).
Because of the above reasons, I'm looking for a region-free player.
Denon 1612: It supports only upto 5.1ch. I want 7.1ch. Any other suggestion?

@Kittu
Thanks for a large list of components. I want to buy the components locally. I'm a little paranoid when it comes to importing expensive stuffs due to warranty issues. Say, I import Denon AVR which is not currently available in India, if something goes wrong with it or if it's a DoA, can I get it repaired at a local Denon service center?

Availability:

Energy take classic: I could only find a local store at Chennai. I guess it's available somewhere in Bangalore too.

Klipsch HDT 500: I could find dealers in India.

Boston Soundware xs: I could NOT find India listed in "Where to buy"

Paradigm cinema package: No Idea

Deftech pro cinema: India was listed in "Where to buy"

Tannoy SFX: I couldn't find their website

Cambridge minx: Dealers listed throughout the country

Lithos: Found Indian website

Orb Speakers: I couldn't find Indian dealers in its website

HSU Ventriloquist with STF2: I couldn't find Indian dealers in its website

So, can somebody point me in the right direction?!

Is Onkyo 5400 available in India. I checked their Indian website and I could only see Onkyo 5300
If it is available, how much would approximately cost?

Also, how are the quality of Onkyo speakers?

I'm new to this stuff. Earlier, I used to buy Sony products and be done with it. Now, I want to try buying different AV player, receiver, speakers.

I'm looking around the forum and concur that 4k support is too much to ask for. Now I just want a player that can be made region free and can play lot of file formats ( mkv importantly, and support AAC too)

5300, My Bad.:confused:

Regarding the player, a lot of forum members say Samsung players can read a lot of file formats. Does it support my requirements?
In Samsung website, I saw BD-C5500 (Rs. 12k) and BD-C6900 (Rs. 30k)
The difference between them were 3D, BD Local Storage, WLAN. Can BD-C6900 play a lot of formats? Any Samsung owners here?

@Kittu
You have suggested sooooooooooooo many speakers. For a beginner like me it's confusing. Can you suggest any particular order in terms of performance please.

@Yogesh
A lot of people in this forum say good stuffs about Onkyo Receivers, but I haven't seen many on speakers. How is its performance?

Hi there!

For the budget you hv mentioned, I recently picked up a superb sound system to go with my Sony 46
Panasonic BD75 bluray player
Pioneer VSX 521 avr
Boston Acoustics CS Sub 10
Boston Acoustics CS 225
Boston Acoustics CS23
Boston Acoustics CS 26
The entire setup cost me 65.5K

Sorry if I'm causing further confusion here...but the sound of this system is simply amazing!

Availability:

Energy take classic: I could only find a local store at Chennai. I guess it's available somewhere in Bangalore too.

Klipsch HDT 500: I could find dealers in India.

Boston Soundware xs: I could NOT find India listed in "Where to buy"

Paradigm cinema package: No Idea

Deftech pro cinema: India was listed in "Where to buy"

Tannoy SFX: I couldn't find their website

Cambridge minx: Dealers listed throughout the country

Lithos: Found Indian website

Orb Speakers: I couldn't find Indian dealers in its website

HSU Ventriloquist with STF2: I couldn't find Indian dealers in its website

So, can somebody point me in the right direction?!

Where can you find Energy Take Classic/RC-micro in Bangalore ? I have called almost all the places i know, nobody has them. I've been obsessing over them since long after seeing the awesome reviews and buzz.. I've tried

- hstore
- pro fx
- vector
- cinebels
- Reliance Digital
- modern world
- audio planet
- uniquesys..

(PS: Google the above mentioned names for website and contact info Eg. "Pro FX in bangalore". All the speakers mentioned in the thread is available at these stores.)

Some even suggested to go for what they have as Energy will have warranty issues too if any problem arises.

Where can you find Energy Take Classic/RC-micro in Bangalore ? I have called almost all the places i know, nobody has them. I've been obsessing over them since long after seeing the awesome reviews and buzz.. I've tried

- hstore
- pro fx
- vector
- cinebels
- Reliance Digital
- modern world
- audio planet
- uniquesys..

(PS: Google the above mentioned names for website and contact info Eg. "Pro FX in bangalore". All the speakers mentioned in the thread is available at these stores.)

Some even suggested to go for what they have as Energy will have warranty issues too if any problem arises.

Mate, You will need to get in touch with LEADING LIFESTYLE SOLUTIONS on +91 44 4321 3452, dealer for Energy in India. They are based out of chennai and when i contacted them they told me that ETC was not launched in India hence not available with them :rolleyes:. However other members seem to have demoed them at Reliance digital stores...

As i am based out of mumbai they gave me no. of a local guy who would arrange for a demo of RC-micro which they carry in stock.

Not available anywhere in Bangalore, forget it.. Too much hassle.. i will get something else which i have already auditioned. Really like the Tannoy HTS 101.. Will probably get that.. Thanks man :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back