BLU-Ray player- do all players support Dolby Atmos?

originalamit

Hi friends

Am out looking to upgrade my blu ray player. I see that some of them explicitly mention Atmos support while most do not. Eg Sony X800 mentions it but Yamaha 681 does not.

So do only specific models support Atmos or any player can give true Atmos sound?

Also, I am looking for a region 1 player or region free. What’s the best place to buy in India? I am based in Bangalore

Thanks!

Amit

Hi friends

Am out looking to upgrade my blu ray player. I see that some of them explicitly mention Atmos support while most do not. Eg Sony X800 mentions it but Yamaha 681 does not.

So do only specific models support Atmos or any player can give true Atmos sound?

Also, I am looking for a region 1 player or region free. What’s the best place to buy in India? I am based in Bangalore

Thanks!

Amit
Players that support Tru Hd will be able to play atmos.

Still a bit confusing after I read this article. Can you please help explain? Thanks!
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/how-do-dolby-truehd-and-dolby-atmos-differ

Dolby TrueHD is a lossless audio codec that supports up to eight audio channels on Blu-ray Disc. Dolby Atmos soundtracks, in contrast, consist of audio objects — up to 128 of them — that are mixed in a 3D soundfield during the production process. When the soundtrack is played back in a movie theater or home environment, the audio objects are rendered by an Atmos decoder to the available speaker set, which includes overhead ceiling speakers.
While Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD are two separate soundtrack formats, Atmos data on Ultra HD Blu-ray is actually an extension to TrueHD that is folded into the bitstream to maintain backwards compatibility. Here’s how that works: If you play a disc with an Atmos soundtrack, the Atmos extension data is decoded by an Atmos-compatible receiver. If your receiver isn’t Atmos compatible, the extension data is ignored and the soundtrack is decoded as regular Dolby TrueHD.”

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...hd-and-dolby-atmos-differ#IHA4T4TLS2XmBzHA.99

All older players support TrueHD or HDMA but wont support Atmos or DTSX. Those that support Atmos or DTSX will be explicitly mentioned and they will support older solutions like TrueHD or HDMA.
So if I want Atmos, I should buy a player which explicitly says it supports Atmos...

Thanks for clarifying

Last edited:
Technically possible but there's no guarantee for it. If the player mentions it will bitstream/ decode Atmos, it will. Also make sure it support Atmos for bluerays, USB etc.
If I recall correctly, love4sound has some trouble with playing TrueHD content from a pendrive through his blueray player that supports TrueHD.

Last edited:
All older players support TrueHD or HDMA but wont support Atmos or DTSX. Those that support Atmos or DTSX will be explicitly mentioned and they will support older solutions like TrueHD or HDMA.
This is so not true. My Blu Ray player is a old model. Sony bdp 4500. No where it is mentioned that it supports Atmos nd dts x. But I am watching Atmos and dts x movies through usb.

Technically possible but there's no guarantee for it. If the player mentions it will bitstream/ decode Atmos, it will. Also make sure it support Atmos for bluerays, USB etc.
If I recall correctly, love4sound has some trouble with playing TrueHD content from a pendrive through his blueray player that supports TrueHD.
Only for Atmos rips in mkv format that I download is not working in Sony Blu Ray players. If I download the actual Blu Ray disk that’s in m2ts format it works. What is your budget and what are the models you have shortlisted ? And how are you going to watch Atmos movies? Is it by downloading or through Blu Ray discs ?

This is so not true. My Blu Ray player is a old model. Sony bdp 4500. No where it is mentioned that it supports Atmos nd dts x. But I am watching Atmos and dts x movies through usb.
What you are watching is the Tru HD or hdma layer of the audio.

Only for Atmos rips in mkv format that I download is not working in Sony Blu Ray players. If I download the actual Blu Ray disk that’s in m2ts format it works. What is your budget and what are the models you have shortlisted ? And how are you going to watch Atmos movies? Is it by downloading or through Blu Ray discs ?
I see. The OP is upgrading his Bluray player. Looks like his player doesn't support Atmos. Maybe your's is an exception for an old player or as sud98 said, you're listening to the True HD layer of the atmos.

I have a 3 year old blu Ray player. It does play Atmos tracks... just that I don’t hear it coming through my Atmos ceiling speakers... do looks like it’s not really working in Atmos mode but I really can’t tell as it’s a new HT setup I got..

I have a budget player and am looking to upgrade to a better one within a budget of around 30k (Sony and Yamaha seem to fall in this range). Not going to spent on Oppo etc as it’s crazy price

My original content are blu ray disks with Dolby Atmos in some of them.

Where does one get good multi region or region 1 players in India? Such a challenge :-(

What you are watching is the Tru HD or hdma layer of the audio.
No its atmos only. Cause even in the receiver it shows dolby atmos and the over head effects is amazing. As long as a Blu-ray player has been set to output a direct bitstream signal, your Dolby Atmos-enabled receiver should be able to decode the signal and send the height channels to the Dolby Atmos speakers.

Through blu Ray disks primarily.
I mostly have region1 disks
Budget is around 30k
Shortlisted models are Yamaha 681 and Sony X700 or 800.

I am open to other player models as well but need to know how to source it here in BANGALORE

Thanks!

Last edited:
Through blu Ray disks primarily
Ok all the atmos and dts x movies i have watched so far are through usb. Why don't you give sony bdp 1500 a shot its available for just 7 k. Bdp 1500 and 4500 are the same specs only difference is 4500 is 3d and 1500 doesn't play 3d

Ok all the atmos and dts x movies i have watched so far are through usb. Why don't you give sony bdp 1500 a shot its available for just 7 k. Bdp 1500 and 4500 are the same specs only difference is 4500 is 3d and 1500 doesn't play 3d

Thanks
Are these Multi region players?
I am looking for great sound having spent so much on my HT setup so want it to be better than my budget players

Thanks
Are these Multi region players?
I am looking for great sound having spent so much on my HT setup so want it to be better than my budget players
No they are not multi region players and officially i am not sure if any brand sells multi region bluray players. You will have to check in grey market or in amazon

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back