Blu-Ray v/s Media Player

shajijacob

hello to all.this is my first post.i am greatly impressed with this site and with those experts who share their views.so kudos to all gadget gurus! my problem is i have a 3dtv and home theatre.i have ordered for an av receiver txnr 609.i download 3d and other movie files thro bittorrent.if i have to choose between buying a media player which can play 3d/dts hd files or a 3d blueray player which will you suggest.i wont buy 3d bluerays very often but mostly depend on net downloading.is there a 3dblueray player which can play blueray iso/xvid files thro usb/hdd which my 3dtv cant play?in that case i will defenitely go for it.otherwise i plan to buy a media player which can play these files too and support dts hd format(like dune hdpro/xstreamer ultra/mediagate).i like to know the opinions of all expert members in this issue

Welcome to HFV. If you are mainly watching downloaded contents, then go for a media player. Search this forum for reviews/suggestions before buying one.

+1 to baljuxavior..... If u download more of movies den rather buying blu rays,, go for media players like WDTV Liv, Xtreamer.... Infact u can even download d movies directly to yr HDD connected to yr media player thru Modded firmware of WDTV Live..so no need of switching on d pc or laptop for long hours to download movies...

Is there any media player which can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA?
If they can bitstream these formats via HDMI cable, that will be great.

I would like to buy one with these features

Regds,
Rajesh

For less than the price of a Dune, one can build an AMD fusion based HTPC with 4gigs of ram, a bluray drive, a nice antec htpc case, an MCE remote kit, a genuine copy of windows 7 and still have money to spare for cold beer. This will pass through anything you throw at it and decode anything you throw at it with way better image quality than any media player. With the latest radeon drivers, an AMD based HTPC manages an HQV score of around 115 compared to 60'ish for media player chipsets.

I've not seen a product more overpriced than the Dune.

PS: There are only two negatives of this approach - it'd need a slight bit more of your rack's real estate and it'll eat 60W instead of 25-30W of most media players.

Last edited:
PS: There are only two negatives of this approach - it'd need a slight bit more of your rack's real estate and it'll eat 60W instead of 25-30W of most media players.

And the following too - enormous patience, capability to fool around with the OS, drivers and software, and losing some 20% of screen real estate. But yes, HTPC is the ultimate solution.

Cheers

Is there any media player which can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA?
If they can bitstream these formats via HDMI cable, that will be great.

I would like to buy one with these features

Regds,
Rajesh

xstreamerpro/ultra,popcornhourc200/dune hd smart/mediapro hd etc plus few chinese brands too

And the following too - enormous patience, capability to fool around with the OS, drivers and software, and losing some 20% of screen real estate. But yes, HTPC is the ultimate solution.

Cheers

Yup any PC needs tweaking. Didn't get what you mean by losing 20% of screen real estate.

Didn't get what you mean by losing 20% of screen real estate.

That is what is taken by the OS and application command lines above and below the actual image. Of course, this goes off after a few minutes, but it is irritating when it is there.

Cheers

Cheers

HTPCs are far more powerful and customizable than Media Players; there are many media players in the market which cannot play some A/V Formats and its a pain.
On the other hand free players like VLC,BS Player, WM Classic, KM Player etc are very powerful and user upgradable.
I prefer HTPC over Media Players though PC may seem to be a little more complex and space taking.

That is what is taken by the OS and application command lines above and below the actual image. Of course, this goes off after a few minutes, but it is irritating when it is there.

Cheers

They won't show up when any full screen application like a movie player is launched. You can also configure it to not show up at all depending on the movie player you use.

hello all,

i have got new ntv550 net gear media player, it was good , it has dolby tru hd , decoder, and DTS-HDMA pass through , any way we need to connect to av receiver only so decoder in media player is not necessary

hello all,

i have got new ntv550 net gear media player, it was good , it has dolby tru hd , decoder, and DTS-HDMA pass through , any way we need to connect to av receiver only so decoder in media player is not necessary

From where? price? link? please post a review also.

Guys, not sure if this the right place to ask. Do you know any good external Blu ray reader? I don't want to spend of HTPC and wanted a drive where I can rip my blu rays to play in PCH-210(on the way). Checked in internet and external blu ray reader/writer are expensive (10K+) , is there a cheaper way (internal blu ray + casing with SATA to USB)....Please let me know, will thank u big time....

Thanks , guys any one from your personal experience can recommend a model? also will there be a region code problem with these external blu ray drives?

I have a fundamental question since I am not a gizmo person. Please pardon my ignorance.

I have a fairly large collection of movies in the form of blu-rays and DVDs which I have purchased and not downloaded from the net. If I am to own one of these media players such as Asus, is it possible to store/burn my collection into the media player? If yes, do I need special software to do so and how can this be done? Also, what will be the quality of the video and audio if I do manage to burn my movies into the player? Your valuable advice please.

Shiva

^^You need a computer with a bluray drive where you can rip the blurays. Once ripped, almost any media player should play it correctly.

Thank you reignofchaos. What about the 1080p movies that are available via torrent sites? If downloaded into the media player, do you actually get a 1080p quality picture?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back