"Bluray" copies.

shailenderb

Someone was earlier asking about the availability of copied BDs. I though I should "enlighten" them on this.

With a lead from Mr. Venkat, I bought a "Bluray" disc from Burma Bazar (Chennai) for Rs. 200 (Journey to the Centre of the Earth). Its nothing but a dual layer DVD copied from the original DVD without any compression of audio and video. Video and audio quality is exceptional. But then, you can get the original English DVDs for Rs. 199 at Music World and Landmark. Even original BR discs are being sold at around Rs. 900 (1800 each with buy-one-get-one offer).

The one I bought from BB was given to me in a real BR jewel case.

Only advantage in buying from BB is you get so many new movies that are yet to be officially released here.

The same duplicate BR disc is being sold for Rs. 400 by a guy on R.K. Salai (Mylapore).

Finally, I think I will buy more of them if I can get some music discs.

Mr. Venkat, your PM box seems to be full. Tried messaging you in vain.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Hi,
The similar discs are also available here at Trivandrum. Same price. But another variety also has come, HD DVD(only the case is of HD DVD, but the disc is a dual layer one copied from the original HD DVD format). One can't get the picture clarity of HIGH DEFINITION formats from which it is copied.
BTW can u give more details reg from where we can bluray titles at a lesser price since these are not available here.Tried with Amazon, but shipping costs very high and e bay, price is very high

RENJITH,
trivandrum

This is standard Chinese (and maybe Indian) copying techniques via a new decoding standard.

Chinese Pirates Break into Blu-Ray Market - PC World

For the novice BR Disk Capacity = 25 GB
Dual Layer = 8 GB
Single Layer = 4.7 GB

So think again if you perceive a "great deal"

The article states the disks are 720P not 1080P. Thats not too bad considering the price and if new movies are available.

720P upscaled to 1080P i bet looks much better than 480p upscaled 1080p. Its half way there.....

Comments ?

P.S - What about the audio on these ??

Last edited:
Renjith:

As of now, the cheapest BD costs around Rs. 700 (if you buy two discs of Rs. 1400 each with the buy-one-get-one offer). Apart from that, my video library stocks some 100 BD movies. Rental charges are Rs. 100 for 5 days. Some of them come with 2 discs - one BD with the full HD version and the other is a standard DVD with a "digital copy" of the movie which you can copy to your Ipod, PSP, or PS3 through your PC.

Warm Regds / Shailender

The article states the disks are 720P not 1080P. Thats not too bad considering the price and if new movies are available.

720P upscaled to 1080P i bet looks much better than 480p upscaled 1080p. Its half way there.....

Comments ?

P.S - What about the audio on these ??

Hi,

I saw the article referred above. If I am not wrong, do we need a blue-ray player to play these discs (because of the "AVC HD Video format")? Or can regular DVD players also play these discs?

I feel that once you start using these discs and you are hooked to HD format (video and audio), you may slowly not like to fall back on SD. At that point you may even like to pay more for Blu-ray (or real HD) and get the better picture and sound. By that time, even the prices of the original BD may be more reasonable.

At this time, both BD discs as well as BD players are expensive, not too many good discs are out there (in India), hence the format is just not taking off fast enough. Maybe with the availability of these cheap alternatives (whether good or bad, legal or illegal) may help to spur the growth, and at that time, we can enjoy the real, legal HD at reasonable prices.

Comments?

Churfsan

Renjith:

As of now, the cheapest BD costs around Rs. 700 (if you buy two discs of Rs. 1400 each with the buy-one-get-one offer). Apart from that, my video library stocks some 100 BD movies. Rental charges are Rs. 100 for 5 days. Some of them come with 2 discs - one BD with the full HD version and the other is a standard DVD with a "digital copy" of the movie which you can copy to your Ipod, PSP, or PS3 through your PC.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Hi shailenderb,

Which city you are located? In Hyderabad I am not aware of any video library stocking BD for rentals. If any one in Hyderabad is aware of BD rentals, I would very much like to know

Thanks
Churfsan

Hi shailenderb,

Which city you are located? In Hyderabad I am not aware of any video library stocking BD for rentals. If any one in Hyderabad is aware of BD rentals, I would very much like to know

Thanks
Churfsan

I am in Chennai.

Warm Regds / Shailender

In which store is this offer of Blu Ray , buy one get one free is going on.

regards

Hi Shailender,

After seeing this post, I went and bought the discs(bluray transferred to DVD) in the afternoon. Per disc they charged 190rs. Titles included Independence Day, Lara Craft Tomb Raider and Blood Diamond.put it on sony ps3 connected toSony 40" lcd tv...Excellent picture quality and sound. Compared to normal dvd, its ten times better and very near to blu ray picture quality. With this price, i think its really a great buy. I am planning to buy other titles also since I am very much satisfied.

RENJITH
Trivandrum

Hi Shailender,

After seeing this post, I went and bought the discs(bluray transferred to DVD) in the afternoon. Per disc they charged 190rs. Titles included Independence Day, Lara Craft Tomb Raider and Blood Diamond.put it on sony ps3 connected toSony 40" lcd tv...Excellent picture quality and sound. Compared to normal dvd, its ten times better and very near to blu ray picture quality. With this price, i think its really a great buy. I am planning to buy other titles also since I am very much satisfied.

RENJITH
Trivandrum

Dear Renjith:

I am expecting the price to come down to around Rs. 125 very soon - as soon as a fe more shops in Burma Bazar (Chennai) start stocking them. Right now only 2 shops have them. These 2 shops - between them - should have at least 300 titles.

Glad you liked the quality. I am only waiting for music discs with same high quality audio.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Warm Regds / Shailender

Dear Renjith:

I am expecting the price to come down to around Rs. 125 very soon - as soon as a fe more shops in Burma Bazar (Chennai) start stocking them. Right now only 2 shops have them. These 2 shops - between them - should have at least 300 titles.

Glad you liked the quality. I am only waiting for music discs with same high quality audio.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Warm Regds / Shailender

I am going to Chennai tomorrow and would like to check this out. Where is Burma Bazar in Chennai and which shops are these? If I ask for BR discs, do they show these 'copies' by default? Thanks.

Hi,

I feel that once you start using these discs and you are hooked to HD format (video and audio), you may slowly not like to fall back on SD. At that point you may even like to pay more for Blu-ray (or real HD) and get the better picture and sound. By that time, even the prices of the original BD may be more reasonable.

Churfsan

Agree 100%. When I had a CRT TV, the aXXo RIPS looked like great quality for me. Once I switched to HD TV, suddenly they look so poor. Then I started accumulating H.264 RIPs which look very nice on my LCD. No way I can go back to aXXo now.

Agree 100%. When I had a CRT TV, the aXXo RIPS looked like great quality for me. Once I switched to HD TV, suddenly they look so poor. Then I started accumulating H.264 RIPs which look very nice on my LCD. No way I can go back to aXXo now.

Hi Phantom,

Another thing you may notice that 720p rips look way better, and depends on compression also.

For instance, I have a few 720p rips with 2 GB size, and then I have one with 4 GB size. Although the resolution of both are same, I find the picture quality of 4GB way better. In fact it is so good that it can be addicting.

I can only imagine how the quality of a full Blu-ray 25-50 GB will provide ??!! Unfortunately, there are just not viable at present I guess, considering cost of player, cost of movies and the (non) availability of the movies themselves in India

Churfsan

Hi Phantom,

Another thing you may notice that 720p rips look way better, and depends on compression also.

For instance, I have a few 720p rips with 2 GB size, and then I have one with 4 GB size. Although the resolution of both are same, I find the picture quality of 4GB way better. In fact it is so good that it can be addicting.

Churfsan

That is because the 4GB rip has a higher bit rate than the 2GB one, eventhough they may have the same resolution. higher bitrate = better quality.

Also, instead of divx rips, try h.264 rips. At half the size, they provide amazing clarity. With h.264 rips, the mosquito noise prevalent in divx rips is almost non-existent.

Guys,

I know the the OP intended to talk about Blu Ray. It looks like this thread is talking about fake BR disks which are nothing but regular DVD disks or dual layer at best.

Admin : This thread shoudl be separeted from the BR movies disk. Thx.

Happened with me too but for sound. aXXo was/is great on the PC, but the audio was no good on the HT system. Had to change all to 5.1 Dolby Digital rips.

hi,
any idea where we can get these "BD Copies" in Kolkata/Calcutta?

If the picture quality is good then would not mind buying them even if they are a tad bit expensive than the normal copied ones.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back