Bluray player from USA

nindo

guys (and gals if any),

i have been blessed with an opportunity to get some light weight electronics from USA. Well, my cousin returning from there has agreed to get it by mid of Feb '12. My focus was on getting a blu-ray player modded for all regions and covering 110v-240v. Planning to place an order from amazon.com, or bombay electronics or 220-electronics.com etc. and give his address.

I dont fancy 3d, but wouldn't mind if its there. planning a budget of upto INR 25K. (500 USD)

Please suggest.

thanks, cheers.

Hi nindo

Your best bet would be this Pioneer BDP-140. This is less than your budget $299 and includes 3D and lots of online appln which may not work in India. I am planning to get this when my parents visit US in March.

Thanks

this was the first thing that came to my mind, but again its only region A and 110v. don't know if they will provide region free and 240v compatible. Infact I have sent them a mailer asking for this info.

Oppo bdp 93 region free on 220-electronics is working out to be quite exp and beyond my budget.!

spirovious,

thanks for the links, you won't believe i have tried to buy this player from all the amazon sites (german, french, spanish, british ) but no ones shipping to india :sad:. cant buy from amazon US cos its region A locked and runs on 110v. most of the blu-rays i have are region B or C (almost all bought from amazon uk.!)

hence the run for region free.! Panny 210 would be my top choice after oppo 93 (i.e if i can get oppo 93 running at 240v- can do the modding myself later i suppose)

this was the first thing that came to my mind, but again its only region A and 110v. don't know if they will provide region free and 240v compatible. Infact I have sent them a mailer asking for this info.

Oppo bdp 93 region free on 220-electronics is working out to be quite exp and beyond my budget.!

Oppo's are dual voltage, nothing to worry and no need to use an conversion adapter. Easily over internet region free kits are available that too just clipping and no soldering is needed.

Regards

spirovious,

thanks for the links, you won't believe i have tried to buy this player from all the amazon sites (german, french, spanish, british ) but no ones shipping to india :sad:. cant buy from amazon US cos its region A locked and runs on 110v. most of the blu-rays i have are region B or C (almost all bought from amazon uk.!)

hence the run for region free.! Panny 210 would be my top choice after oppo 93 (i.e if i can get oppo 93 running at 240v- can do the modding myself later i suppose)
I think some one has got BDP from amazon.uk too,but now free shipping is over.
Tru junglee.com it has basic model.
Junglee.com: Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Wi-Fi Ready 3D/2D Blu-ray Disc Player

Oppo is region free for DVD, not for Blu-Ray. It is dual voltage 110/240 selectable. So no worry. I have imported directly from Oppo (BDP-95), no hassles.

I had placed order with Amazon.com last month 30th for Panasonic bd210..They are shipping to India..when tracked,the same has reached Mumbai today morning!!
Cost was 146dollar plus 22dollar shipping and 29dollars duty charges..
Also tried shipping from amazon uk ,but not possible now..

One doubt-whether i have to pay anything over and above the duty charges collected by amazon?

Also is the plug type voltage step down transformer with 50watts enough?seen couple of such type in ebay.in

Thanks

Oppo is overkill, unless you are interested in DVD-Audio/SACD. The difference between Panny 210 and Oppo is about $370 in US. Not worth it, in my opinion.

I had placed order with Amazon.com last month 30th for Panasonic bd210..They are shipping to India..when tracked,the same has reached Mumbai today morning!!
Cost was 146dollar plus 22dollar shipping and 29dollars duty charges..
Also tried shipping from amazon uk ,but not possible now..

One doubt-whether i have to pay anything over and above the duty charges collected by amazon?

Also is the plug type voltage step down transformer with 50watts enough?seen couple of such type in ebay.in

Thanks

i doubt you ll be charged anything extra for custom duty as its taken in advance from you. Only extra might be octroi and any other entry tax your state may charge.

as for the step down transformer, check the power consumption mentioned for your player and choose a step-down transformer rated more than that value.

cheers

well, i had contacted oppo to check whether they can provide region free directly in US, and they sent me contact of their Indian dealer- Sound of Music, New Delhi.

On contacting, they said they can provide region free version of BDP-93 and can also courier it anywhere in India. Now comes the bomb: price delivered to Mumbai: INR 66,000/-:lol::clapping::eek::spam::confused::annoyed::yahoo::sos::beer:

Last edited:

r u sure about its voltage all oppos are multivoltage. my oppo 971 dvd and bd83 were universal voltage. and 99% of the timw u will not need any bluray hacking since most of the blurays in india r region free as r many released in uk. and it will play all blurays from usa.

Oppo is overkill, unless you are interested in DVD-Audio/SACD. The difference between Panny 210 and Oppo is about $370 in US. Not worth it, in my opinion.

i agree with that. i have oppo 971 dvd, bd83 bluray and a panny bd310, as far as blurays r concerned u wont find any difference in pq. also with dvd u wont find any difference upto 55" tvs. even with my projector setup with 100" screen, i only find a 15-20% difference in PQ.

the panny bd310 is 3d and cost me $180/- with 3d avatar bd free

Hi!!

You can check out the Blue ray players from Dune. Its a Taiwan based company. In simple words its like a Wd player and a blue ray player combo.
It can take both 110 and 220 V.

Cheers,
naj

AFAIK, oppo plays all formats, supports NTFS. So if you buy oppo, you may not need another media player. Interface though may not be too slick (need to confirm) as appletv etc.
Oppo is well built with attention to PQ and SQ. But, if you have great AVR/ display you may not need all the high quality stuff that oppo offers and just another decent BDP may do.

anm, what you say makes a lot of sense. especially cos i have a 6 yr old yamaha avr and poor guy doesn't know what hdmi means. so the 7.1 ch analogue out from the oppo will enable me to listen hd audio without having to buy a new avr, at least for now. plus it doubles up as a pretty good media player too.

cheapest region free oppo 93 i could find was on 220-electronics @ US$570/- (+$19 shipping within US). that is roughly 29k in todays terms. you think its worth?

naj, thanks for your advise but, it costing about $450, without 3d and performance not on the levels of panasonic or oppo. so don't really find it worth. you got a cheaper price for it in US, do let me know.

cheers.

I think it is worth it, as many people here have tried and tested. I had a few demos at Lakozy Delhi.
It is MUCH more worth it if you want to use dual HDMI outs [one to tv, another to projector, or 1 to pj/ tv and another to avr for sound processing]. If you do not have an HDMI receiver but have 7.1 input, it is priceless. You don't need anything else. Plus it is built like tank.
Better to ask someone to carry it for you, instead of buying locally. Since it is a br player anyone can carry (light weight) and test it (don't need too much hardware to check for a DOA) - a simple TV, hdd would suffice to do some basic testing before bringing it.
I am waiting for someone to come over as I have my heart set on it as well.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back