bluray player suggestions

On budget grounds you could consider Philips Blu Ray Player model No. is BDP 3000 avalibale for 16K in India and is BD profile 2.0 compatable.
You would be able to play all your disks through it but as of yet its not region free either for DVD or blu ray.
If you are looking at region free playability for just DVD's then you could go in with a Sony BDP360 (import), the region code can be unlocked through the universal remote.
But if you are looking for region free playability of both Blu ray and DVD's then I would suggest you to go for Panasonic Model from the like of BDP60 or 80 as they have Chip Based modifications avaliable.

ashish i thnk the philiops bd3000 is region free for dvd and c for bds,

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a bluray player, this will be my first bluray player. It will be used with yamaha rx-v663 and panasonic pv8. I am on a tight budget and need to buy a not so expensive player. I would say a max 200$, but could push it to 250$ if the player is awesome and meets most of my needs. I will be getting it from US thru a friend (damn, this hobby of mine is making me use (misuse) my friends:)

Requirements:
0. shouldnt be an oppo:lol: cant afford it.
1. of course it should play blu ray.
2. my avr doesnt have upscaling, it will be good to have a decent upscaler for my dvd collection.
3. If it can play flac from a dvd/pendrive, I am willing to forget most of my other requirements.
4. Should play mkv/avchd/divx from dvd-r and/or pen drive. region free dvd player
5. Dont need analog outs.
6. dont care about netflix etc.
7. dont care about onboard decoders, i think my avr can handle all of those.
8. I dont play games, so ps3 is out unless it beats others in other things.
9. dual voltage will be good, not necessary though, already have a voltage converter, running my avr.

why US ?
u cud get a good bdp here for aprx 15k in grey

once u watch bds ,u will forget the other formats u have mentioned

which model? and from where?

you are from chennai?

man thats the hub for av for grey market

i got my bdp from chennai

u cud get the pana bdp 35/30/60
pioneer bdp120
these are the models well within your budget, all these are reg A for bdp and multi region for dvd

have sent u the contact of person who cud get it for u in chennai,chk your msg box

he might forget the other formats for quality but for availability/choice they would beat BD's .

definetly satish , here the release of bluray is too damn slow, but once it kicks you all other formats is out, i wud wait for the BD releases to hit my screen its definetly worth the wait

he might forget the other formats for quality but for availability/choice they would beat BD's .

hi satish , jst checked your set up , u have a great set up

saw an emotiva amp there , can u give me your opinion on that

coz the prices of emotiva gear is great , recently saw a processor UMC-1 for abt 600USD

sorry to post this hear , we cud start a seperate thread on emotiva

hi satish , jst checked your set up , u have a great set up

saw an emotiva amp there , can u give me your opinion on that

coz the prices of emotiva gear is great , recently saw a processor UMC-1 for abt 600USD

sorry to post this hear , we cud start a seperate thread on emotiva

lets talk there

Nope dude, you will not get the actual colors, the color gamut of a 720p is very small as compared to that of 1080p. I've already tested these situations.

But you could get yourself a WD TV media player and download 720p movies from the web.

For all those UPSCALE/UPCOVERSION fans, some info about the same from the WIKI.

Placing a video scaler before a limited-capability display device will not remove the limitations of that display device (for instance, you cant make a 720p display take a 1080p signal and expect to see all 1920x1080 pixels on the 1280x720 display surface). A common misconception of consumers is that if you upscale to 1080p from a 720p source and the TV downscales to 854x480 internally (like within a plasma display), that you would end up with a better image. Since the final display surface does not contain the necessary pixel amount to display the 720p content in its entirety, there is a loss in the vertical and horizontal resolution in the final displayed image. It is preferred to send the display the exact resolution that it needs to output a final display image. Some displays may have a further problem when displaying native resolution however, when sent the exact native resolution image, the display may be programmed to assume that it is receiving a signal from a PC - which will cause it to reduce its output brightness (this is a protection mechanism which display manufacturers like Pioneer have installed to prevent or reduce image phosphor burn in).

under no circumstances will an upscaling/upconverting DVD player provide "high-definition content", since video information can only be retained or lost in each successive conversion step, but not created

Hope this piece of info clears any doubts regarding UPSCALING/UPCONVERTING.

The moral of the info is "IF U GO HIGH DEF,THEN GO 1080p"

cheers

the difference btw 720p and 1080p is better apreciated on a bigger display ,120" thro a 720 p and 1080p pj

the difference btw 720p and 1080p is better apreciated on a bigger display ,120" thro a 720 p and 1080p pj

When you watch a Live Action movie the difference is very less, because of the film grain, but when you see CGI/animated movies, with a click of a sec I can find out the difference in image details.

cheers.

What can be the prices?

i think the panasonic basic models like the bdp 30/35 /60 cud be under 15k (grey)
pioneer 120 also in the same range
pionner bdp320--abt 18-20k
pioneer bdp lx52 around-31-32k (showroom price55k) i got this for 31k
pioneer bdp lx 51 around 28-30k or even less as this is the older model

When you watch a Live Action movie the difference is very less, because of the film grain, but when you see CGI/animated movies, with a click of a sec I can find out the difference in image details.

cheers.
is this so even at a large screen of 120" thro pj (720p/1080p)

u mean to say there is not much diff in action scenes between a 720p and 1080p pj image?

i think the panasonic basic models like the bdp 30/35 /60 cud be under 15k (grey)
pioneer 120 also in the same range
pionner bdp320--abt 18-20k
pioneer bdp lx52 around-31-32k (showroom price55k) i got this for 31k
pioneer bdp lx 51 around 28-30k or even less as this is the older model
You know any grey dealers in Bangalore who can get me a JVC BD player.

Last edited:
is this so even at a large screen of 120" thro pj (720p/1080p)

u mean to say there is not much diff in action scenes between a 720p and 1080p pj image?

Hi,

When it comes to CGI/animated movies, no matter what's the screen size (20"/120"), I can make out the difference in 720p and 1080p. And even with a Live Action movie I can make out the difference in most of the cases. Not sure about people who do not deal with resolutions on a day to day basis. They may feel it is the same, but not with me.

cheers

You know any grey dealers in Bangalore who can get me a JVC BD player.

these guys in bangalore source`it from chennai so u will have to pay a bit more as there is a third party in btween

i wud advice u to source from chennai

if u still wud want from banglore will send u contacts via pm

may i ask why jvc ? nodoubt its a very good company , i have not seen or comeacross of jvc bdps

Last edited:
before I take the plunge, can someone tell me if I will see a definite improvement in picture quality with the movies with blu ray, as compared to lets say a good upscaled dvd. I have a 720p pv8 and the viewing distance is about 12 feet. if not, no point in spending money on bluray till i goto like a 50" full hd lcd or 1080p pj.

Whats the deal with ps3. the prices of the old ones are crashing as the slim is there for like 300$. I saw the fat ones going in india for 16-17k for the 80gb version, might be even cheaper. now that the ps3 has lost the loading time advantage, is it still a good buy. btw, I dont play games and already have an htpc also.

The improvement in PQ depends upon the source and the encoding. Average Blu-ray looks better than upscaled DVD. Most of the Blu-rays smokes their SD-DVD counterpart. For the best HD experience you should be viewing from 1.5 times your screen width.

PS3 might be the best option provided its Region-A. Unfortunately India falls under Region-C. So, you get to lose to play Region-A Blu-ray. However, unlike DVDs, Studios do not Region Code most of their Blu-rays which is a big boon to importers.

You need a modded Panasonic DMP-BD80 like I own or request the brand shop folks to mod the player.

Very soon my BLU collection is gonna touch 200 and the experience has been awesome. Folks who want a toast of Blu-ray are welcome to visit my home in Bangalore. I will be more than happy to demo few Blus.:)

cheers.

I disagree. Film Grain enhances the viewing experience on live action movies. Only DNR + EE spoils the PQ. Any untrained eye should be able to discern the increase in resolution from a reasonable viewing distance.

Last edited:
Back