bluray player suggestions

Let me correct my mistake, the JVC player you guys are talking about is not available on 20north currently, what is available is the cheaper new one they've introduced, about which nothing much is known.....and that's what costs 9155.

Hi,

Which is good Panasonic DMP PD-60 or PD-80. I want the BD player to play .mkv format at least if not the divx, etc.

I was about to buy pd-60 but heard that cannot support .mkv format, only PD-80 can do that. Unfortunately, PD-80's price went up the sky and it is now 19K. So, :sad: do not know if PD-80 is worth the price!

Pls guide me guys.

Thanks,

p.s.:: I have a HTPC, I think, which can take care of this .mkv, *.m2ts, etc.

Hi,

Which is good Panasonic DMP PD-60 or PD-80. I want the BD player to play .mkv format at least if not the divx, etc.

I was about to buy pd-60 but heard that cannot support .mkv format, only PD-80 can do that. Unfortunately, PD-80's price went up the sky and it is now 19K. So, :sad: do not know if PD-80 is worth the price!

Pls guide me guys.

Thanks,

Even BD80 won't play MKV files. Currently LG BD390 and OPPO BD83 and some Philips Latest models can play .mkv files. But these players are quite expensive.Still there will be hiccups for playing big files through USB.
My suggestion will be BD60 + WD Live. This combo. Will be equal or less expensive compared to above players and will have an Universal solution for any kind of media format.

Even BD80 won't play MKV files. Currently LG BD390 and OPPO BD83 and some Philips Latest models can play .mkv files. But these players are quite expensive.Still there will be hiccups for playing big files through USB.
My suggestion will be BD60 + WD Live. This combo. Will be equal or less expensive compared to above players and will have an Universal solution for any kind of media format.

Hi,

Thanks a lot, I forgot completely about mediaplayer. Yes, it would make a great combo.

Thanks,

Hi,

Pls guide me guys.

Thanks,

the jvc can play mkv files, though it doesnt play m2ts files. its supposed to play avchd, havent tried it though.
jvc played the mkv files a hell of a lot better than my htpc (vlc). clear and visible improvements.
it doesnt play divx, but plays xvid.

how is the DVD upscaling?

the jvc can play mkv files, though it doesnt play m2ts files. its supposed to play avchd, havent tried it though.
jvc played the mkv files a hell of a lot better than my htpc (vlc). clear and visible improvements.

how is the DVD upscaling?

well, i like it.
most of the reviews (from users, not paid spokesmen) say its awesome, some even goto the extent of saying its better than oppo.
I dont have a point of reference though. have never seen another dvd player or bluray player thats upscaling.

Nobody is talking about Sony BD players? Is Sony the one who started this BluRay thing? So I suppose their players will also be good and I think last month's What HiFi suggested some Sony BDP as one of the best. Any comments?
Also if I get a BDP from US will there be issue with power input? Although I've a PS3 now but it plays only Region C and missing out on the Region A discs (wanted to get Star Trek/Band of Brothers/Gladiator from US but all are region locked :-( ).

Nobody is talking about Sony BD players? Is Sony the one who started this BluRay thing? So I suppose their players will also be good and I think last month's What HiFi suggested some Sony BDP as one of the best. Any comments?
Also if I get a BDP from US will there be issue with power input? Although I've a PS3 now but it plays only Region C and missing out on the Region A discs (wanted to get Star Trek/Band of Brothers/Gladiator from US but all are region locked :-( ).

Yes, I had a Sony BDPP-360, which was doing a good job, but had to give it to my friend.

Yes, you need a voltage convertor for that, as my sony was running at 120v/60hz. Since I already have a 2kv Maxine voltage convertor for my Denon 790 (USA), it has 3 sockets for 100, 110, 120, so no probs. I can feed one more device from that:)

Cheers!

The JVC is costing way too high and will not fit into my budget, so have to drop it!

well i have been looking out for BD players for a long time and none really caught my attention but this: Mediatek MT8530, apparently its the world's first (and probably right now the only) DivX Plus HD certified BD player. Basically that means it can play mkv and videos coded with h264. (MediaTek MT8530 becomes worlds first DivX Plus Blu-ray chip - SlashGear) I know there are loads of players claiming to play mkv but frankly speaking the DivX tag is something special (basically a DivX Plus HD device can play almost anything under the sun! Apart from QuickTime files perhaps, correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not sure if this is available in India yet, but check out this page: Welcome to Mediatek

it has a ph no of Mediatek's office in Noida. So if anyone's interested u could call them up.

if ur gonna buy a BD player, get something which is DivX Plus HD certified, otherwise its probably of no use as far as playability is concerned (I guess if u cant get it, its probably better to wait a bit, coz even basic BD players arent the cheapest thing in the world). Also there's a minor catch which you should be aware of. DivX HD is different from DivX Plus HD (the former cant play mkv but can play 1080p, in other words its probably the same as any other BD player from Sony available in the market right now).

The other option would be to wait for other companies to come up with more DivX Plus HD stuff. Personally, I'd want to see Philips and Pioneer come up with these. At least that way the prices would come down a bit.

Yes, I had a Sony BDPP-360, which was doing a good job, but had to give it to my friend.

Yes, you need a voltage convertor for that, as my sony was running at 120v/60hz. Since I already have a 2kv Maxine voltage convertor for my Denon 790 (USA), it has 3 sockets for 100, 110, 120, so no probs. I can feed one more device from that:)

Cheers!
Hey Venkatesh,
just another question, how is the ability to play different region DVD's (not Blu-rays) ? Does it only play region 1 or it can play all regions?
And about the voltage transfomer, how much does it cost? Did you get your from US or in India itself? Any pointers? I'm kind of seriouslyt considering the Sony BDP s360 now. For 125$ it seems to be worth the money. Any other suggestions? Why are you changing to Pana? Any big advantage with the Panasonic?

Hey Venkatesh,
just another question, how is the ability to play different region DVD's (not Blu-rays) ? Does it only play region 1 or it can play all regions?
And about the voltage transfomer, how much does it cost? Did you get your from US or in India itself? Any pointers? I'm kind of seriouslyt considering the Sony BDP s360 now. For 125$ it seems to be worth the money. Any other suggestions? Why are you changing to Pana? Any big advantage with the Panasonic?

Hi,

Actually, I thought I was lucky enough that I had a region-free player:eek:, but it was Region A and it can play only region A and region-free titles. Because I later realized that most of the discs I played were region-free and some were just in some form of blu-ray disc (because thy are yet to be released in blu-ray).

I am using a maxine voltage transformer which I bought from Shah Electronics, Chennai, Mount Road, whch I got for 2.8K, which has 3 outlets for 100V, 110v, 120v, so I can hook up 3 devices at a time. You get a 1-year warranty and a cotton bag along with that. They would offer you a 15% discount if you don't want a bill, so dont fall for their words.

There is no specific reason for my chosing the pana BD60, other than that my TV is of same brand and I can use same remote for both.:eek:hyeah:

With both of them being basic models, and for the range, we cannot expect much from these models!

Hope this helps!

BTW, what is the difference between these basic models and those high end models? What difference would it make for a HD ready TV like PV80D or say even a Full HD TV? How much different is the picture quality from PS3? I remember reading that PS3 itself is the top tier of the Blu-Ray players. So would just like to know how s360 fares in comparison?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back