bluray player suggestions

You need a modded Panasonic DMP-BD80 like I own or request the brand shop folks to mod the player.

Very soon my BLU collection is gonna touch 200 and the experience has been awesome. Folks who want a toast of Blu-ray are welcome to visit my home in Bangalore. I will be more than happy to demo few Blus.:)

Hi, nice man, I would like to see your moded Bluray player, I'm also planning to buy one. And do you mean to say you have bought 200 Bluray discs:clapping:, that's crazy ............... well if it comes to downloading blurays i've already crossed 400:D

I disagree. Film Grain enhances the viewing experience on live action movies. Only DNR + EE spoils the PQ. Any untrained eye should be able to discern the increase in resolution from a reasonable viewing distance.

And Film Grain is definitely going to enhance the PQ, but it is also a technique used to remove bandings ............... so sometimes it you feel 720p is good in quality, but if you get a chance to see the same without the Film Grain, you will encounter bandings.

cheers

before I take the plunge, can someone tell me if I will see a definite improvement in picture quality with the movies with blu ray, as compared to lets say a good upscaled dvd. I have a 720p pv8 and the viewing distance is about 12 feet. if not, no point in spending money on bluray till i goto like a 50" full hd lcd or 1080p pj.

Whats the deal with ps3. the prices of the old ones are crashing as the slim is there for like 300$. I saw the fat ones going in india for 16-17k for the 80gb version, might be even cheaper. now that the ps3 has lost the loading time advantage, is it still a good buy. btw, I dont play games and already have an htpc also.

dont even bother to ask , jst`take`the dive

blurays will kick the shit out` of dvds,

the bigger the display better the difference`apreciated

the best kick u wud get is from a hd pj

as about audio --the dts hd master audio and dolby true hd are awesome , and a major improvement over dts and dd

go ahead

I forgot to mention that I bought the modded DMP-BD80 from ebay.co.uk when I was in London few months ago.:eek:

I have seen DMP-BD80 (Region-A) in Chennai few months ago priced 24,000 or so in Grey market.

The brand shop folks use modded DMP-BD60 for demo but the ones they sell are Region-C but you can request them to mod it.

On a modded player:

1. You need to load the Region coded disc
2. Switch off the player with power cable connected
3. Press the buttons (1 = A, 2 = B, 3 = C)
4. Click on Play

The settings are remembered unless you don't load a Region Free or a different Region coded disc else you have to repeat the above steps. Also, the modding doesn't get affected by firmware upgrades.

If you don't want to spend your hard earned money on a modded player the best would be to buy Region-A players like PS3 or Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 or LG-BD390. If your pockets are deep then go for the Oppo.;)

The only advantage with Region B/C Blu-ray Players is it supports 576 p/i, PAL and 1080i50/60 contents which is not supported by Region-A players.

Btw, how do you guys download Blu-ray rips with ease in India when most of it are above 25GB? Are those compressed 720p rips? These compressed rips don't look in bigger screens like our 4-in-1 Moser Teddy Baer DVDs.

Aforementioned I can demo my gear in my home. I would be very happy to do that as I seldom find my compatriots interested in Blu-ray.:eek:hyeah:

Drop in a PM if you are interested.

Last edited:
Btw, how do you guys download Blu-ray rips with ease in India when most of it are above 25GB? Are those compressed 720p rips? These compressed rips don't look in bigger screens like our 4-in-1 Moser Teddy Baer DVDs.

Hi,
When in Mumbai, I was using Airtels 2MBPS unlimited connection on my Dell Mini laptop running 24/7 to download files, I have an RS account also.

But here in B'lore unfortunately there is no airtel in my area, so using TataIndicoms, 512kbps morning, and 2.5MBps night (10-8, and sunday full). And all the files are full 1080p, not compressed to 720p, 720p comes within 4GB.

cheers

Hi,
When in Mumbai, I was using Airtels 2MBPS unlimited connection on my Dell Mini laptop running 24/7 to download files, I have an RS account also.

But here in B'lore unfortunately there is no airtel in my area, so using TataIndicoms, 512kbps morning, and 2.5MBps night (10-8, and sunday full). And all the files are full 1080p, not compressed to 720p, 720p comes within 4GB.

cheers

If the rips are full HD can you let me know the size of the rips?

• Apologies for my ignorance, but how much does an OPPO blu-ray player cost? Could members throw some light on its quality & performance as well?
  • Is this available in India?

regards,

nitin.

pioneer bd 320 for 29k is robbery man!!!!

its available for well under 20k in grey

What are the difference betw BD 320 and OPPO?

Is it that OPPO is universal - plays both PAL and NTSC while BD 320 plays only one?

Where are these officially available in Mumbai?
And where in the grey market in Mumbai?
Going by the forum reviews makes me go for the OPPO.

Last edited:
What are the difference betw BD 320 and OPPO?

Is it that OPPO is universal - plays both PAL and NTSC while BD 320 plays only one?

Where are these officially available in Mumbai?
And where in the grey market in Mumbai?
Going by the forum reviews makes me go for the OPPO.

apart from cds ,dvds and blurays an universal player will also play dvd audio and sacds in multichannel

the oppo bd players can be modded to play all region bds where as pioneer cannot as of now ( u cud chk with ashish from the forum regarding this , he has modded his oppo)

no idea of availabity in mumbai , u cud get it officially , but the pricing will be high , but from chennai its very cheap ,half the price in grey , will provide contact if needed, let me know)

apart from cds ,dvds and blurays an universal player will also play dvd audio and sacds in multichannel

the oppo bd players can be modded to play all region bds where as pioneer cannot as of now ( u cud chk with ashish from the forum regarding this , he has modded his oppo)

no idea of availabity in mumbai , u cud get it officially , but the pricing will be high , but from chennai its very cheap ,half the price in grey , will provide contact if needed, let me know)

Thanks Subhash,
Highly appreciated.
Please provide contact. What is the price in the grey market?
:cool:

Thanks Subhash,
How is the performance of your Pioneer BDP?
It has got a 5 star rating in the Nov. issue of What HiFi, and is slated to be better than the BDP 320.
Do you feel the necessity to have the mods for Pioneer?
This I feel is one place the Oppo scores over Pioneer, Oppo has got 4 star ratings because it is not considered to be that perfect in pq and sq when compared with others who have exclusivity over one only. Oppo is an allrounder.
I have a Pioneer HT with DVD player for 4 years now, which I have not been able to make it universal (or region free), but I still love it.
Pioneer is in an elite class.:signthankspin:

Last edited:
Thanks,
Looks quite difficult - not sure if I would be able to do this alone.
Will this type of mods be required for the Oppo also?
Any hack/ mods available for the Pioneers BDP 320 and LX52?

In comparison to Panasonic models which require soldering on the main board of the player, Oppo's Mod comes pre soldered and we just have to change it with the stock cable on the player which is very easy.
Since I have done it myself and posted it here on this very forum: http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-playe...ssions-reviews-oppo-bdp83-blu-ray-player.html

Thanks Subhash,
It has got a 5 star rating in the Nov. issue of What HiFi, and is slated to be better than the BDP 320.
This I feel is one place the Oppo scores over Pioneer, Oppo has got 4 star ratings because it is not considered to be that perfect in pq and sq when compared with others who have exclusivity over one only. Oppo is an allrounder.
I have a Pioneer HT with DVD player for 4 years now, which I have not been able to make it universal (or region free), but I still love it.

Oppo lacked a star on the current issue of the Whathifi review because of its high price and the lack of performance over its analogue connectors in which it could do better, also since Whathifi awards its ratings on price per pound basis and there the Oppo lacked against the likes of Pioneer and Sony players but as its suggested there that the performance from HDMI is top notch and if varsitility is needed then its the player.

Thanks Subhash,

the LX52 is very good , PQ ,SQ excellent for both brds and dvds
good build quality

cons --very slow in reading BRDs
locked to reg A for BRds
no multichannel out (so problem for people with old AVRs without hdmi in)

Hi All,

I have also been trying to settle the difference between 720p & 1080p.

I have found that 100Hz scanning (called truemotion etc) makes a lot of difference to PQ.
My findings now are that a 32" full HD model with 100 Hz is the best for watching SD ie our standard TV Broadcast on DTH, upto about 10feet viewing distance. If you viewing distance is 12 feet to 15 feet u can go in for 42".

LG's Series LH50 37" is the best compromise for those with under 10feet viewing distance who also want to watch a lot of full HD material.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back