bluray player suggestions

Hi All,

I have also been trying to settle the difference between 720p & 1080p.

I have found that 100Hz scanning (called truemotion etc) makes a lot of difference to PQ.
My findings now are that a 32" full HD model with 100 Hz is the best for watching SD ie our standard TV Broadcast on DTH, upto about 10feet viewing distance. If you viewing distance is 12 feet to 15 feet u can go in for 42".

LG's Series LH50 37" is the best compromise for those with under 10feet viewing distance who also want to watch a lot of full HD material.

bluray player suggestions:rolleyes:

pioneer bd 320 for 29k is robbery man!!!!

its available for well under 20k in grey

+1 to that ...
gray market is filled with BDP model .... i dont recommend to buy as these are very entry level model.. at a premium price ..wait for another 6 months ..prices will go pretty low..

hi guys,

i finally picked up the jvc xv-bp1 in US. should get it by the middle of the month hopefully. cant wait:yahoo:

I too have picked up the same model.i should get it in a couple of days now.

awesome, please do post a review. I would be interested in knowing the performance on standard dvds and mkvs on dvd-r. bluray of course most of them play well.

awesome, please do post a review. I would be interested in knowing the performance on standard dvds and mkvs on dvd-r. bluray of course most of them play well.
Got the JVC today morning,havent played much,just popped in the Planet Earth BD and it played quite well and it played as fast as my DVD player would have played a DVD.The TV initially was blank when i switched on the player and then i did a restart of the TV and then it showed the player.Will test mkv from a HDD tonite and give updates.

Hi,

doors666/psj from where did you pick this model, I'm also planning to get one for myself. Which region is it? What price?

I'm actually getting Pioneer BDP120 for around 9k in Australia. Is the JVC any better, may be I can have a look at your piece and then decide.

thanks.

Hi,

doors666/psj from where did you pick this model, I'm also planning to get one for myself. Which region is it? What price?

I'm actually getting Pioneer BDP120 for around 9k in Australia. Is the JVC any better, may be I can have a look at your piece and then decide.

thanks.

I remember reading somewhere that the pioneer 120 is just a rebadged sharp, that too a pretty shitty model.

I picked up mine from ecost in US, for about 138$ including 2 day shipping. prices vary a lot, but the best I have seen is from tiger direct for about 149 (there is also a cashback from bing, bringing it to about 140$). I plan to get most of my blus from US and most of the blus released in India (hindi ones) are region free, so that was the best option for me.

jvc is called the poor man's oppo due to its very fast speed, good picture quality, and almost an oppo like dvd upscaling. Pioneer (not 120) has the advantage in terms of build quality, analog outputs (better dacs).

if you dont want analog outs, panasonic bd60 is also a very good choice, you can get it for about 100$ (can go down to 80$ if you look for good deals) shipped in US. Infact I had first purchased this for about 102$ directly from panasonic, but they ran out of stock and couldnt get one to my friend in time.

Hi,

thanks.

I picked it using 20North.Got it at a 50% Discount price,including shpping,customs it came to 13.5.Now it shows a much higher price.
It plays Region 1 and Region All BD and DVD. No hacks are available to make it region free. As doors says read many review praising it for the picture quality and speed and its virtually bugs free.It has had only 2 firmware updates since its realease 6 months back.

Some more comments-
I played some MKV's from a Hard disk.it played them quite well.The clarity was almost as good as the BD disk.It doesnt play divx only xvid formats.

I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the WDTV Live when I read that this JVC is the "poor man's Oppo" and can play MKV etc., .....and for 9155 bucks on 20north.....sounds like a good alternative to the WDTV Live that costs 7100 bucks, for 2000 bucks more you get blu-ray playback....and solid blu-ray playback at that!

Of course this voice of reason in the back of my head says "the blu-ray player prices are still volatile.....give it till till latter half of 2010 and prices will approach 5-6k for better players" ......but i don't have a history of listening to this voice of reason.

Anyways, I am eagerly waiting more in-the-flesh feedback on the JVC player, especially with regard to it being able to play NTFS formatted drives.

Some more comments-
I played some MKV's from a Hard disk.it played them quite well.The clarity was almost as good as the BD disk.It doesnt play divx only xvid formats.

Yeah, same query as psychotropic about NTFS

And I need a small suggestion from all, after all my tries to get my bluray player from various sources like Showrooms, GreyMarket, Christmas sales in Aus etc,etc............. i've narrowed down to 20north.

I'm stuck with 2 models, Sony BDP360 and Panasonic DMP-60. Both are available for around 9k. So any suggestion's on these. My requirement is only to play bluray's via HDMI, other features like analog 7.1 out, usb etc.... are not a concern.

Help!!

thanks.

purely from the reviews and user feedback, definitely consider the JVC.....on the video tests the JVC performed almost as well as the Oppo apparently and it upscales beautifully also....and on 20north it costs about 500 bucks less than the Panasonic.....and is much faster than the Sony or the Panny.

And I need a small suggestion from all, after all my tries to get my bluray player from various sources like Showrooms, GreyMarket, Christmas sales in Aus etc,etc............. i've narrowed down to 20north.

I'm stuck with 2 models, Sony BDP360 and Panasonic DMP-60. Both are available for around 9k. So any suggestion's on these. My requirement is only to play bluray's via HDMI, other features like analog 7.1 out, usb etc.... are not a concern.

Help!!

thanks.

I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the WDTV Live when I read that this JVC is the "poor man's Oppo" and can play MKV etc., .....and for 9155 bucks on 20north.....sounds like a good alternative to the WDTV Live that costs 7100 bucks, for 2000 bucks more you get blu-ray playback....and solid blu-ray playback at that!

Of course this voice of reason in the back of my head says "the blu-ray player prices are still volatile.....give it till till latter half of 2010 and prices will approach 5-6k for better players" ......but i don't have a history of listening to this voice of reason.

Anyways, I am eagerly waiting more in-the-flesh feedback on the JVC player, especially with regard to it being able to play NTFS formatted drives.

it cant play from ntfs formatted hard drives, but you cant blame these guys for that. its microsoft that charges royalty for ntfs support. even the mighty oppo with its atrocious price tag skipped on this feature. to the best of my knowledge, only lg bd390 can play from an ntfs hard drive.

this feature will be useful for only mkv files i guess. there are programs on the web that will split mkv files for u, without any transcoding, an 8gb file can be probably split in under half an hour. i could check and tell you the program name once i get home.

Well, since my friend is getting one for me, i only had to pay 6.4k for this (out of that, around 300-400 bucks went for 2 day shipping, so about 6k). And at that price, you cant even get a good upscaling dvd player in india:) so made a lot of sense for me as my AVR also does not upscale.

you can wait for an year for the prices to drop to 5-6k, but then u loose out on watching bluray movies for about an year. and this one is among the very best players in the price range.

And dont forget, the currency is around 46.5 right now.... I wish i could predict which way it will swing:lol:

But wont the multi-region thing be a pain as I guess your player too offers only a software mod. A lot of good DVD's are in Excel Home Video which is in the India region (can remember the number) and Region C for Blu Ray. I am not sure of Big and other players. But isnt that a big risk?

But wont the multi-region thing be a pain as I guess your player too offers only a software mod. A lot of good DVD's are in Excel Home Video which is in the India region (can remember the number) and Region C for Blu Ray. I am not sure of Big and other players. But isnt that a big risk?
The player does not have any mod to make it region free.Most of the Blu rays getting released here are region all if iam correct.One more thing about the JVC,there is no picture setting menu on it so all caliberations should be done on the TV.The player also gets a bit warm not sure if its common for all blu ray players.

Help!!

thanks.

panny is known to have much better dvd upscaling than the sony. I believe it also has netflix, you tube etc, which the sony doesnt.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back