Bookshelf speakers INR 50-80K.

Hello friends,

A few days back I've acquired 6months old Monitor Audio Silver 100 BS speakers along with rock-solid stands (each weighs 30-40 kg and sand-filled ). I've extended my budget a little.
The initial impression of sound quality is good. Shall provide you the full details & pics after completely listening to them.

I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Appreciated!!!!

Hello friends,

A few days back I've acquired 6months old Monitor Audio Silver 100 BS speakers along with rock-solid stands (each weighs 30-40 kg and sand-filled ). I've extended my budget a little.
The initial impression of sound quality is good. Shall provide you the full details & pics after completely listening to them.

Appreciated!!!!
Oh wonderful. Congratulations on the buy. The speakers have rave reviews. I guess they should match well with your Rega amp. We need your impressions and lots of pics.

MaSh

Hello Friends,

I'm looking for bookshelf speakers for my stereo setup. This should be an upgrade from my existing Dali Zensor 7 towers. Need worm sounding speakers.

Amp : Rega Brio
Preferred Loc : Bangalore for the audition.

Set up is in 11 X 16 ft living room. 11ft distance is the listening direction.
Open for preowned.

Please direct me to available options.

Thanks in advance.
In this range, one of the warmest sounding speakers is the Wharfedale Evo 4.2s. They have good depth, a massive soundstage and seismic bass. the have no problem whatsoever filling my entire hall with sound and deep bass whereas my floorstanders which are nearly 3X the price struggle to do (which may indicate that my amp may not be up to mark but it also indicates that the wharfedale evos are quite easy to drive)

You could contact this WhatsApp business account: +91 99868 35444
I do not remember the name of the dealer clearly- Something like Dimension Audio, based in Bangalore. I had visited their premises last year to audition the S5.
I've seen very few reviews or user experiences on the Quad S5s. which amps did you try it with and what did you think about their bass response?

Evo 4.2 looks like a killer. Us price is 1000 dollars and in india you are getting them for 71 or so. I guess its a good value to performance ratio much better than other speakers which are generally priced twice as much compared to their us prices.
In case you buy i would reAlly like to know about your experience.
Can someone tell me if in case i plan to upgrade to these from rti a7 will it be a sound decision? My usage is 50:50
Marantz 6013 and rti sounds too bright at high volumes havent been able to figure out why.
The wharfedale evos may be somehwat polarising. they are deifinitely not an all rounder and they may sometimes lack excitement and drive with certain types of fast paced music. However, they excel with classical numbers, piano notes are heavenly and they are good with rock/metal also. Personally, I would recommend the KEF Q350s over the Wharfedales if one has a more varied choice of music. The Q350s can really carry any tune well and are a very close second to the Wharfedale Evos when it comes to warmth, depth in soundstage and bass but crucially, they are great will all types of music and have that rhytm and drive which is missing in certain songs with the Evo (the KEFs sound even better with rock and heavy metal than the Wharfedales and especially with new age pop music). These are the characteristics i have found so far after having lived with both speakers for some time. The clincher is that you can get the KEF Q350s for below 50K from time to time (i got mine for 44K). for pure aesthetics however, the Wharfedale Evos blow the KEF Q350s out of the water and for that matter, most other speakers below 1L.

Any availability of these speakers anywhere? have been looking for these for long.
The Quad S5s are available on hifimart at a great discount right now. However, they are not warm speakers and difficult to drive properly with budget amos. At the same time, its its sensitivity is quite decent at 90db

I've seen very few reviews or user experiences on the Quad S5s. which amps did you try it with and what did you think about their bass response?
If I remember correctly, it was a Marantz AVR with a Pioneer CD or Blu-ray player. The bass was accurate and tight. No bloating. If you are looking for thunderous bass, these speakers may not be right ones. But over all, a smooth, mellow sound. You can spend hours on them if you are in to laid back music listening.

If I remember correctly, it was a Marantz AVR with a Pioneer CD or Blu-ray player. The bass was accurate and tight. No bloating. If you are looking for thunderous bass, these speakers may not be right ones. But over all, a smooth, mellow sound. You can spend hours on them if you are in to laid back music listening.
Actually, I have happen to have these speakers and there is very little bass playing through a Marantz SR6013 AVR and a PM6006 (which is why I asked about the bass). the Kef Q350s and Wharfedale Evos produce far more bass. However, i have compensated for the lack of low end by appropriately matching the gains of the sub alongwith a high level input straight from the speaker binding posts to ensure that the subwoofer drinks from the same tap and matches the tonality of bass of the speakers.

Hello Friends,

I'm looking for bookshelf speakers for my stereo setup. This should be an upgrade from my existing Dali Zensor 7 towers. Need worm sounding speakers.

Amp : Rega Brio
Preferred Loc : Bangalore for the audition.

Set up is in 11 X 16 ft living room. 11ft distance is the listening direction.
Open for preowned.

Please direct me to available options.

Thanks in advance.
Slightly off-topic but if I were you I would seriously look into buying decent active monitors with that budget (Eg. Genalec, Edifier s3000 Pro, Swan M200/300, Adam Audio). You are planning to move away from towers to bookshelf - which means you are no longer worried about high volumes or visceral impact, instead looking for holographic sound. I would say audition as much as possible, and sometime we have to take a leap of faith :) Again just my humble opinion! Good luck with your search!!

Hello friends,

Appreciated!!!!
Very good choice. You were looking for warm sounding speakers, MAs have an energetic presentation with impressive dynamics. How do they sound with Rega?

The wharfedale evos may be somehwat polarising. they are deifinitely not an all rounder and they may sometimes lack excitement and drive with certain types of fast paced music. However, they excel with classical numbers, piano notes are heavenly and they are good with rock/metal also. Personally, I would recommend the KEF Q350s over the Wharfedales if one has a more varied choice of music. The Q350s can really carry any tune well and are a very close second to the Wharfedale Evos when it comes to warmth, depth in soundstage and bass but crucially, they are great will all types of music and have that rhytm and drive which is missing in certain songs with the Evo (the KEFs sound even better with rock and heavy metal than the Wharfedales and especially with new age pop music). These are the characteristics i have found so far after having lived with both speakers for some time. The clincher is that you can get the KEF Q350s for below 50K from time to time (i got mine for 44K). for pure aesthetics however, the Wharfedale Evos blow the KEF Q350s out of the water and for that matter, most other speakers below 1L.
Quick update - The slow paced nature that the Evos exhibited with Class A/B amplification (Marantz PM6006 & SR6013) disappeared when using the Crown XLS1502. The timing of the music became tighter, fast (not unnaturally so but it lost its ladiback nature) and dare i say even more nuanced with a more exciting presentation. However, that also brought with it the inherent class D properties which, to my ears, robs it of some depth. You can rectify it to a large extent by addition of a subwoofer that is well integrated and can keep pace with the music. I have mine paired with a Rel T9i and it nullifies a lot of what appears to my ear as crudities of class D sound (again, preferences might differ depending on the presentation that one fancies). Another reason for the slightly laidback and non-exciting presentation may be that both the Marantz SR6013 and PM6006 are also waem amps and the Wharfedale Evos being warm speakers themselves, may not have made for a good pairing whereas the Crown is inherently as neutral as they come.

Quick update - The slow paced nature that the Evos exhibited with Class A/B amplification (Marantz PM6006 & SR6013) disappeared when using the Crown XLS1502. The timing of the music became tighter, fast (not unnaturally so but it lost its ladiback nature) and dare i say even more nuanced with a more exciting presentation. However, that also brought with it the inherent class D properties which, to my ears, robs it of some depth. You can rectify it to a large extent by addition of a subwoofer that is well integrated and can keep pace with the music. I have mine paired with a Rel T9i and it nullifies a lot of what appears to my ear as crudities of class D sound (again, preferences might differ depending on the presentation that one fancies). Another reason for the slightly laidback and non-exciting presentation may be that both the Marantz SR6013 and PM6006 are also waem amps and the Wharfedale Evos being warm speakers themselves, may not have made for a good pairing whereas the Crown is inherently as neutral as they come.

Congrats for working it out to your satisfaction!

Great you already possess various option to try! Your signature looks like a stock list of a HiFi showroom! :p

Congrats for working it out to your satisfaction!

Great you already possess various option to try! Your signature looks like a stock list of a HiFi showroom! :p
My apologies. i must rearrange according to the transmission channel from source to output.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back