Bookshelf speakers under 15k INR.

Drona

Hello ,

New to the forum and this hobby in general. I'm looking to buy my first set of bookshelf speakers with a budget of less than 15K.
Have looked at audiophile subreddits and discord severs extensively but due to price differences in regions have not been able to find something that im comfortable pulling the trigger on.

My main use case for the speakers will be for music and as speakers for my guitar via amp sims. I have a Steinberg UR12 Audio Interface and play guitar via that into a DAW. I also like to dabble in some music making but I don't think I'm even close to the stage that I need reference level speakers. I just want to enjoy music [decent imaging, maybe I'm asking too much?]and my guitar.

I'm open to literally any speaker arrangement: active, passive w an amp ,etc. as long as its under the budget.

Thanks. :)

Hello ,

New to the forum and this hobby in general. I'm looking to buy my first set of bookshelf speakers with a budget of less than 15K.
Have looked at audiophile subreddits and discord severs extensively but due to price differences in regions have not been able to find something that im comfortable pulling the trigger on.

My main use case for the speakers will be for music and as speakers for my guitar via amp sims. I have a Steinberg UR12 Audio Interface and play guitar via that into a DAW. I also like to dabble in some music making but I don't think I'm even close to the stage that I need reference level speakers. I just want to enjoy music [decent imaging, maybe I'm asking too much?]and my guitar.

I'm open to literally any speaker arrangement: active, passive w an amp ,etc. as long as its under the budget.

Thanks. :)
There are thousands of options when you just vaguely state that you want speakers below 15k for your setup catering to playing music and the guitar. While some may be great for music ,they may not be great match with your guitar & vice versa.You have to get a pair that blends both purposes well and stays with you for years ( rather than buying something cheap & realising you need to sell it soon).This drains most of your resources and so proper research on your part before pulling the trigger is better on ur pocket along wit personal satisfaction. Normally you allocate the biggest chunk of the amount to get the best speakers possible and move from there on. But since you already know your use case & that being decent gear to play music & the guitar - Bookshelfs would be the way to go considering the ease of moving them including placement options.
However ,If you are interested im planning to dispose a brand new pair of JBL STAGE A130 bought in Nov 22 as I'm moving to actives.It would definitely cross the 15k you have in mind,but i feel there couldn't be a better match for what you seek.Read up ASR reviews online about the A130 & it's performance. They are complete VFM and bang for your buck with brilliant SQ. DM me if your keen and we can talk it out.
Do not consider this as a sales pitch & no matter what you buy or from whom ,make it a point to do your research and only then make a informed decision as patience is the key in this hobby. Also where are you located, as auditioning speakers before pulling the trigger would be wise.
Cheers & all the best.

Since you already have an audio interface, going with active studio monitors will be a smart choice. Studio monitors also will give you honest insight on your guitar sound.
Although the price is bit high compared to your budget, try presonus Eris 4.5. If you can further stretch, try JBL LSR 305s and you will not look for upgrades for longer period of time.

There are thousands of options when you just vaguely state that you want speakers below 15k for your setup catering to playing music and the guitar. While some may be great for music ,they may not be great match with your guitar & vice versa.You have to get a pair that blends both purposes well and stays with you for years ( rather than buying something cheap & realising you need to sell it soon).This drains most of your resources and so proper research on your part before pulling the trigger is better on ur pocket along wit personal satisfaction. Normally you allocate the biggest chunk of the amount to get the best speakers possible and move from there on. But since you already know your use case & that being decent gear to play music & the guitar - Bookshelfs would be the way to go considering the ease of moving them including placement options.
However ,If you are interested im planning to dispose a brand new pair of JBL STAGE A130 bought in Nov 22 as I'm moving to actives.It would definitely cross the 15k you have in mind,but i feel there couldn't be a better match for what you seek.Read up ASR reviews online about the A130 & it's performance. They are complete VFM and bang for your buck with brilliant SQ. DM me if your keen and we can talk it out.
Do not consider this as a sales pitch & no matter what you buy or from whom ,make it a point to do your research and only then make a informed decision as patience is the key in this hobby. Also where are you located, as auditioning speakers before pulling the trigger would be wise.
Cheers & all the best.
Hey, thanks for the tips. I have been scouring the ASR forum for a while now trying to find something that i like. I was asking here to help point me in a particular direction. The stage A130 seem great, but with the speaker plus a decent amp , that would up the price quite a lot for me. I do not want to spend too much on the speakers as I plan on getting some good headphones and iems in the very near future. Hence im probably going to go with something along the lines of the Edifier 1280BD (the only one in the budget that has a recommended on ASR, i could find). It wont be as good but should suffice and serve me for a few years at least. Anything is better than 2 (5.1 set) speakers im using rn.
Just for the sake of it what would you recommend to pair with the A130 for amplification. (Don't need a DAC cause of aforementioned Audio Interface, just an amp )?

Last edited:
Since you already have an audio interface, going with active studio monitors will be a smart choice. Studio monitors also will give you honest insight on your guitar sound.
Although the price is bit high compared to your budget, try presonus Eris 4.5. If you can further stretch, try JBL LSR 305s and you will not look for upgrades for longer period of time.
I will check out the Eris 4.5. Gave up on Presonus seeing the FR graph of the 3.5 but ill def give the 4.5 a look.
The JBL LSR 305s are what has come up incredibly often and i have been seriously considering, waiting for a it and going for them, but that is a conundrum for me as it will eat into my headphone budget. Or i could get the single units 1 at a time lmao .

Thanks for the suggestions tho, appreciate it .

I will check out the Eris 4.5. Gave up on Presonus seeing the FR graph of the 3.5 but ill def give the 4.5 a look.
The JBL LSR 305s are what has come up incredibly often and i have been seriously considering, waiting for a it and going for them, but that is a conundrum for me as it will eat into my headphone budget. Or i could get the single units 1 at a time lmao .

Thanks for the suggestions tho, appreciate it .
I have a pair of 305s since 2016, iirc. They are very good.

Consider JBL Control 1 Pro and Allo Volt+ amplifier. A laptop charger can be used to power the amplifier. Later you can just swap the amplifier when budget permits. I have the same speakers and they are decent for the price

Consider JBL Control 1 Pro and Allo Volt+ amplifier. A laptop charger can be used to power the amplifier. Later you can just swap the amplifier when budget permits. I have the same speakers and they are decent for the price
Thank you , will check the control pro out. Will the Allo be enough to power headphones as well (currently considering the HiFiman Sundara), if not what would you recommend that can fill both purposes? is this even a thing idk ? can an amp power both headphones and speakers (one at a time ofc) or are they fundamentally different internals?

Thank you , will check the control pro out. Will the Allo be enough to power headphones as well
The Allo Volt + is a power amplifier for speakers. I don't think you can use it for headphones. Some integrated power amplifiers have headphone outputs where you can connect headphones along with speakers, but i doubt they will be in your budget

Hey, thanks for the tips. I have been scouring the ASR forum for a while now trying to find something that i like. I was asking here to help point me in a particular direction. The stage A130 seem great, but with the speaker plus a decent amp , that would up the price quite a lot for me. I do not want to spend too much on the speakers as I plan on getting some good headphones and iems in the very near future. Hence im probably going to go with something along the lines of the Edifier 1280BD (the only one in the budget that has a recommended on ASR, i could find). It wont be as good but should suffice and serve me for a few years at least. Anything is better than 2 (5.1 set) speakers im using rn.
Just for the sake of it what would you recommend to pair with the A130 for amplification. (Don't need a DAC cause of aforementioned Audio Interface, just an amp )?
The Edifiers would definitely do the job and might even thrill moving from the 2(5.1set),they do make some nice gear but it only gets dicey if something conks & you have to run pillar to post (even with warranty) as their support sucks.
Monitors(even single to start with) as suggested by FMs would be great as you already have an AI.
The A130 are forgiving speakers and not at all fussy when it comes to amplification.I have seen folks power the stage series using just the sub of a 5.1 system (without an ext amp,since the sub already has one & takes care of amplification).If i had a tight pocket then i would look at various pre built amp boards sold online that start from Rs.150+ that gets the job done (they wouldn't have all the bells and whistles of a full blown amp) but plain amplification of a signal with decent/acceptable output. Amazon has so many & so do other sites like robu.in,hnh cart etc (mind you all these are just for the sake of it 😁, since you asked)
Take it slow and pick what suits your purpose & pocket the best ,stretch now & get something decent for the next few years or cut corners,buy something & contemplate- i should've bought something better. It's your call...totally.
Cheers and all the best.

Thank you , will check the control pro out. Will the Allo be enough to power headphones as well (currently considering the HiFiman Sundara), if not what would you recommend that can fill both purposes? is this even a thing idk ? can an amp power both headphones and speakers (one at a time ofc) or are they fundamentally different internals?
A 50% off pair @amazon. Well within your budget.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230120-005913.png
    Screenshot_20230120-005913.png
    837.4 KB · Views: 58
The Edifiers would definitely do the job and might even thrill moving from the 2(5.1set),they do make some nice gear but it only gets dicey if something conks & you have to run pillar to post (even with warranty) as their support sucks.
Monitors(even single to start with) as suggested by FMs would be great as you already have an AI.
The A130 are forgiving speakers and not at all fussy when it comes to amplification.I have seen folks power the stage series using just the sub of a 5.1 system (without an ext amp,since the sub already has one & takes care of amplification).If i had a tight pocket then i would look at various pre built amp boards sold online that start from Rs.150+ that gets the job done (they wouldn't have all the bells and whistles of a full blown amp) but plain amplification of a signal with decent/acceptable output. Amazon has so many & so do other sites like robu.in,hnh cart etc (mind you all these are just for the sake of it 😁, since you asked)
Take it slow and pick what suits your purpose & pocket the best ,stretch now & get something decent for the next few years or cut corners,buy something & contemplate- i should've bought something better. It's your call...totally.
Cheers and all the best.
I had not really considered after sales support, and after a quick search it does seem like Edifier customer support is a real hit or miss kinda thing. Thanks for that , def changes perspective.
Since it seems like 25k is the min I can get away with spending, I have got a lot of recommendations from various places for the LSR 305p MK2 and the Stage A130. Im leaning towards the stage A130 as apparently the 305s have a significant noise floor and i dont want to deal with that. Any inputs?
Could you link or screenshot some amps you think would work? Also what are the bells and whistles mentioned?
Sorry for the overload of questions, i have no idea with respect to amps.

With respect to the JBL Nano K4s I have not been able to find a single reliable review on them anywhere online and hence have sidelined them currently.

Thanks for the help !

The Allo Volt + is a power amplifier for speakers. I don't think you can use it for headphones. Some integrated power amplifiers have headphone outputs where you can connect headphones along with speakers, but i doubt they will be in your budget
Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification.

I have a pair of 305s since 2016, iirc. They are very good.
Follow up after some research. What is the noise floor like on the speakers in your experiance? I have a relatively small room, and honestly don't want the hassle of noise. Appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

Follow up after some research. What is the noise floor like on the speakers in your experiance? I have a relatively small room, and honestly don't want the hassle of noise. Appreciate any inputs. Thanks!
There isn't any hum or hiss unless you put your ears right next to the tweeter. I was using it in a normal room with no acoustics except for a bed on the floor, and a few jeans on the front wall. With a treated room, you may hear noise near the speakers but not 3 or 4 feet away.

I had not really considered after sales support, and after a quick search it does seem like Edifier customer support is a real hit or miss kinda thing. Thanks for that , def changes perspective.
Since it seems like 25k is the min I can get away with spending, I have got a lot of recommendations from various places for the LSR 305p MK2 and the Stage A130. Im leaning towards the stage A130 as apparently the 305s have a significant noise floor and i dont want to deal with that. Any inputs?
Could you link or screenshot some amps you think would work? Also what are the bells and whistles mentioned?
Sorry for the overload of questions, i have no idea with respect to amps.

With respect to the JBL Nano K4s I have not been able to find a single reliable review on them anywhere online and hence have sidelined them currently.

Thanks for the help !
Well the support thing was to be taken with a pinch of salt 😁, coz it's not a sure shot thing that something might conk.....there are examples where people have been using them for years without any issues.
Sorry ,but I'm not aware of any such floor noise in the A130 as its zilch, No matter which amp you pair them with..
Im out on work right now & maybe later will try and post a few pics. Bells and whistles meant a totally done up amp with display,tone controls,A/B switching, binding posts,remote etc (something that you can use right out of the box- just plug and play) against a bare bones amp board which would require soldering wires n stuff.( See pic attached)
The K4s were just something i came across while on Amazon & thought of you when I saw the pricing,hence posted that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230120-161448.png
    Screenshot_20230120-161448.png
    780.4 KB · Views: 41
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back