Boomy Subwoofer issue after updating to Denon AVR X2400H

Evilcruze

Hi all,

I was running a 5.1 channel with Denon AVR 2310 and Elac 50ESP Sub. The Sub was really punchy and crisp and at higher volumes you could feel the thump in the chest without any distortions. I have recently updated to Denon X2400H amp running the same 5.1 speakers. Now the sub sounds very boomy and distorted. I had to turn the sub down to the minimum to reduce this effect. Most of my base is from my towers now and the base from the sub is very subtle.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this boomy & distorted subwoofer. Anything I am missing on my speaker settings or subwoofer settings?

Try running audyssey again and try to change sub woofer position in room. Set subwoofer level to 0 and try to increase one by one
Did try running the Audyssey again but I could hardly hear the Sub (which I found strange). There was very faint roar from the sub and not sure if the mic picked up anything.

Not sure what I did but my amp is constantly going into protection mode. Have disconnected all the speaker and still goes in to protect mode :-(.

Hi all,

I was running a 5.1 channel with Denon AVR 2310 and Elac 50ESP Sub. The Sub was really punchy and crisp and at higher volumes you could feel the thump in the chest without any distortions. I have recently updated to Denon X2400H amp running the same 5.1 speakers. Now the sub sounds very boomy and distorted. I had to turn the sub down to the minimum to reduce this effect. Most of my base is from my towers now and the base from the sub is very subtle.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this boomy & distorted subwoofer. Anything I am missing on my speaker settings or subwoofer settings?

• Run Audyssey again and set all speakers to small, let the sub handle the low frequencies.
  • Audyssey will be on "Reference" settings based on what has been caliberated. Try changing this to "FLAT" and see if any difference. I run my setup on FLAT.
  • Audyssey is known for conservative settings so adjust all speakers if levels are low by +1db each if required.
  • If AVR is going into protection mode, check all wires including speaker connections etc. Join each one by one and check...painful process but has to be done. Also check if there is any excess electrical current flowing through HDMI or sub cable or RCA wires etc. Check your electric points / spike guard.
  • If possible take the AVR to a friends place and check if same protection mode issue, if yes, service center visit would be required.
  • Since the sub worked well where it was placed, i would not suggest to displace it to another place. Its all about settings on the AVR, please read the manual and play with settings and tweak accordingly.
  • Ensure you try doing all this carefully and patiently as it will eat your time for sure.

Removed all the speaker wires and HDMIs and was able to turn the amp ON so that a relief! I am assuming the problem might have been with the banana pins I am using. I might just go back to the naked wire connection.

thank you @efernand1 for the detailed list of stuff i should look out for, will try this today evening and will see how this goes.

Fingers crossed!!!

Thank you @efernand1 @rsriramtce for the suggestions.

No Joy!!! :-( The movement i am connecting the speakers, the amp goes into protect mode. Have checked all the wiring twice still no luck.
removed the banana pins as well but when I am connecting it with only the power it seems to be fine.

First boomy sub and now protect mode...Is my Denon cursed?

No Joy!!! :-( The movement i am connecting the speakers, the amp goes into protect mode. Have checked all the wiring twice still no luck.
removed the banana pins as well but when I am connecting it with only the power it seems to be fine.

I am not sure but my personal view is that Denon integrated amps are good for stereo...been very skeptical about Denon AVRs, used 2 models briefly and then sold it off!

I am hooked on with marantz for almost 8 years plus and it has never given any issues...been upgrading models and series accordingly

Try connecting speakers one at a time and check. Do not connect any input. Try isolating which component is causing the shorting.

MaSh

I am not sure but my personal view is that Denon integrated amps are good for stereo...been very skeptical about Denon AVRs, used 2 models briefly and then sold it off!

I am hooked on with marantz for almost 8 years plus and it has never given any issues...been upgrading models and series accordingly
My first choice was Marantz and I was getting a good deal too. I have a constraint with my unit where I could not fit a Marantz.
Last time I had bought one for auditioning, I could barely fit it in the unit with few cm to spare on the top. Would have run into over heating problems in long run.

My understanding was that both Denon and Marantz use the same internal components but Marantz is tuned differently.

Hi all,

Hi keep the volume of subwoofer to 30 while calibrating.
Use sound foundations vibrasorber .it's available for 2.3k.it reduces rattling sound and also boominess.

My first choice was Marantz and I was getting a good deal too. I have a constraint with my unit where I could not fit a Marantz.
Last time I had bought one for auditioning, I could barely fit it in the unit with few cm to spare on the top. Would have run into over heating problems in long run.

My understanding was that both Denon and Marantz use the same internal components but Marantz is tuned differently.

There is a built quality difference for sure!

Follow the trouble shooting steps I listed for you and even the suggestion from @MaSh

Check for a faulty sub cable.. probably a minor short which why its sounding so boomy and causing the amp to go into protection mode.

Yes, running on audyssey.
Auddysey is hit or miss sometimes and have to run few more times to get perfect sound. Again keeping Dynamic Eq on, SW level can be note and Sub can sound boomy. Keeping Dynamic volume as Large makes sound detailed but some compromises.Again try keeping Audyssey as Flat which can settle boominess is Sub to some levels. Multieq HT32 has option to lower boomines with Sub eq. If you can use multieq app and you get desired Audyssey settings,then you can save that eq and use in future after reset. Also Subwoofer curve can be adjusted.

I connected each speaker wire individually and was able to switch ON the amp. Did run Audyssey twice but was not happy with the out come.
Switched it off last night without moving any cables and wires around it. Today tried to play around with the settings as suggested to fix the sub only to see that AVR is going back into protect mode AGAIN. I am exhausted, cant find any faults with speaker wires or Sub cable.

Can this be an internal thing?

***Update***

At times it is going into protect mode even without any speaker wire or HDMI connected only power cable was connect.
I am assuming this is an internal issue.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back