Bought Spendor Classic SP100R2

Fiftyfifty

Staff member
Hi,
This is just an update giving my rationale for this purchase, not a review.
I have had the Martin Logan Electromotion ESLs for over a year now. They are great speakers. Very natural, very detailed. In my view, great for digital music. But when I got on to vinyls, they tended to sound a bit too resolving, almost harsh when playing massed strings or multiple horns. I had auditioned quite a few speakers when I got the ESLs, including Tannoy Gold monitors, Quad Z4, PMCs, Magnapan 1.7, etc. Over the past few months, I listened attentively and tried to identify the characteristics of many units at shows, dealer demos and friends' set ups. I was not sure whether I liked them over my ESLs. I also heard the Harbeth SLH5 plus, the Harbeth 40.2, Apertura Armonia, Sonus Faber Serafino, with no specific budget in mind. I think I got a feel of what I wanted. So when I heard the Spendor Classic 100 and Classic 200s, I knew I was heading in the right direction. Between the 100s and the 200s, the difference in sq did not justify the difference in price. Amba of Audiolounge, Pune, let me have a home audition. I puled the trigger on the Classic 100s and have had them for a week. In comparison to the ESLs, they are extremely refined, though missing some detail sometimes. In comparison to the Harbeths, they are somewhat laid back ( On the Harbeths, I found the vocals standing out a bit, while on the Spendors, they blend into the music). The speakers sound extremely well balanced to my ears and in my room (which is 14 x 22', with the speakers placed 4 feet from the front wall and 2 feet from the sides. Listening position is just outside the vertex)). These are heavy speakers, at around 38 kgs. each. The looks are very retro, very old school, and I like that.The bass is prominent, but never boomy. With eyes closed, the speakers disappear and the music blends into the front wall and beyond. The sound stage is impressive, though nothing compared to the Nagra monoblocks and separates at the the dealer's, which are well beyond my means.
I still love the ESLs and haven't decided to let them go yet. I wonder whether I should think of a tube preamp or dac/preamp combo. If yes, which one? The input capacitance of my Cary Power amp is 22Kohms.

In summary, I'm very pleased with the purchase and hope to retain the Spendors for a long long time!

spendor-1-jpg.29466

spendor-2-jpg.29467

Attachments

• Spendor 1.jpg
    Spendor 1.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 368
  • Spendor 2.jpg
    Spendor 2.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 367
Hi,
I have had the Martin Logan Electromotion ESLs for over a year now. They are great speakers. Very natural, very detailed. In my view, great for digital music. But when I got on to vinyls, they tended to sound a bit too resolving, almost harsh when playing massed strings or multiple horns. I had auditioned quite a few speakers when I got the ESLs, including Tannoy Gold monitors, Quad Z4, PMCs, Magnapan 1.7, etc. Over the past few months, I listened attentively and tried to identify the characteristics of many units at shows, dealer demos and friends' set ups. I was not sure whether I liked them over my ESLs. I also heard the Harbeth SLH5 plus, the Harbeth 40.2, Apertura Armonia, Sonus Faber Serafino, with no specific budget in mind. I think I got a feel of what I wanted. So when I heard the Spendor Classic 100 and Classic 200s, I knew I was heading in the right direction. Between the 100s and the 200s, the difference in sq did not justify the difference in price. Amba of Audiolounge, Pune, let me have a home audition. I puled the trigger on the Classic 100s and have had them for a week. In comparison to the ESLs, they are extremely refined, though missing some detail sometimes. In comparison to the Harbeths, they are somewhat laid back ( On the Harbeths, I found the vocals standing out a bit, while on the Spendors, they blend into the music). The speakers sound extremely well balanced to my ears and in my room (which is 14 x 22', with the speakers placed 4 feet from the front wall and 2 feet from the sides. Listening position is just outside the vertex)). These are heavy speakers, at around 38 kgs. each. The looks are very retro, very old school, and I like that.The bass is prominent, but never boomy. With eyes closed, the speakers disappear and the music blends into the front wall and beyond. The sound stage is impressive, though nothing compared to the Nagra monoblocks and separates at the the dealer's, which are well beyond my means.
I still love the ESLs and haven't decided to let them go yet. I wonder whether I should think of a tube preamp or dac/preamp combo. If yes, which one? The input capacitance of my Cary Power amp is 22Kohms.
View attachment 29466View attachment 29467
In summary, I'm very pleased with the purchase and hope to retain the Spendors for a long long time!
Congratulations... a great purchase

Congratulations sir
Ultimately whatever is bought should move the soul of ours , then it's done deal
Speaker stands are also good

Great setup, 50/50! Neat and elegant room, too.
And kudos to the dealer for providing a home demo. The best way to buy speakers.
Enjoy the music :)

Beautiful setup ! am sure the speakers would find great synergy with your amp..
on your question, my personal opinion is to have Pre and Dac as separate components and better not to mix them. And while i do prefer the power amp section to be a tube, for pre/phono/dac output stage etc, in my opinion, it is more about the design than SS or Tube as both can be really linear

Hi,
View attachment 29466View attachment 29467
The cary input impedance is too low for any tube preamp that isn't coupled to a transformer. Always better to keep one brand so Ideally if you like the Cary look at their preamp.

Congrats on the new purchase!

I read the placement by the user is a bit of a hassle, and they require more care... although not as daunting as a dipole. (Martin Logan)... also the best results were achieved when the center of each baffle was 30" from the sidewall and 60" from the rear wall.

How do you find the near field listening vs when listened to off axis... is it also enjoyable?

Happy listening!

Congratulations sir
Ultimately whatever is bought should move the soul of ours , then it's done deal
Speaker stands are also good
Thanks Rikhav. The stands are really good. They are steel legs with a wooden top, all stuffed with concrete, making them heavy and solid!

Also it really ooks Classical...

Thanks Kannan! I saw them and liked the looks, only then did I hear them;)

Congratulations...I love these speakers and would have bought them but were a little out of budget for me... I concur 100% with your description of their sound...

Thanks Panditji. Did you check the prices with the dealer or did you go by the list prices? Audiolounge is able to offer good prices in India considering they own Spendor.

while i do prefer the power amp section to be a tube, for pre/phono/dac output stage etc, in my opinion, it is more about the design than SS or Tube as both can be really linear
The cary input impedance is too low for any tube preamp that isn't coupled to a transformer. Always better to keep one brand so Ideally if you like the Cary look at their preamp.
Congratulations !
A Cary pre would be nice..

True, and a good tube pre, like the Cary, can cost quite a bit. Not sure if it will justify spending that much to move from my existing Cary SS pre to a Cary Tube pre.

Kishore,

Congratulations on the Spendors! I missed listening to these at the last Mumbai show.
I wouldn't bother changing your gear until you get a good feel for the entire setup.

Do consider a pair of Skyllan 4P18 speaker stands at some point later.
Link: https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-classic-sp100rsup2sup-loudspeaker-page-2

Regards.

Thanks Nikhil,

Yes, I have had my eye on the Skyllan stands. For now, I'm using the dealer's demo stands which are made of steel legs and wooden top stuffed with concrete. Now I'm waiting for someone to offer me a home demo of stands ;)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back