• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Boycott Chinese goods - Is it possible

Wharfedale Diamond 11 Series

Hiten

I am not sure about this, but I have heard even Reliance petroleum imports certain products, even though they can make it here, but will incur more manufacturing cost and would reduce their profit. Even though we produce rubber, some companies import it from Malaysia, because they get it cheaper there, thus destroying the home industry.
Dear Preth,
This thread has good chances of turning in to dirty slime of politics. But I will wade through it wearing PPE kit.

Any Govt. policies are based on ....well politics of trade relations. The backflips and somersaults you see in Any party past present or future depends on what they want to do in national interest. Any company may be buying something just because govt. tells them to buy them from certain countries. Because of geopolitics they want good relations with that particular country which helps them doing international negotiations on various fronts. I remember decades ago USA banned Indian Silk Skirts claiming they easily catch fire. Then after sometime we are best buddies. in 70s we had bad relations with middle east now they are neutral or friends. Some middle east countries even vote for us. Just few months back Donaldbhai threatened us if we dont give HCQ to mein dekh lunga. Now we are BFF. Just two years back indian and chinese soldiers were doing joint military drills.
Now doing this inescapable silly topsy turvy dimag ka dahi things some other countries which was our best buddy gets disappointed and renegotiate trade deal with us. More backflips and somersaults. Manipulating peoples thoughts is probably the first chapter in "How to master dirty politics" book. And it is in curriculam of all parties. Some get distinction by cheating and some has more elegant way of getting merit.
As we move towards multipolar world more such things would happen. Dont bother too much about this. This happens to All the countries and all the time. And generally good amount of trade is non political. Just follow my advice in post #36. No compulsion though only if you feel like it.
Regards.
-------------------------------------------------
Comrades please dont judge my inclination or affiliation by what I post.

keith_correa

Comrades please dont judge my inclination or affiliation by what I post.
The only inclination and affiliation we should have is what makes sense to us. Which is not so common anymore.

And, Lal Salaam to you too! :p

Hari Iyer

Forgot to mention 3 more vendors in the list-
Emblem supplier - local artwork shop from Thane.
Labels ,- local printer from China
Packing material - local supplier from Bhiwandi
Courier - Gaati transport.

Now you can go ahead and argue that the label supplier bought his labels from Avery Dennison, India distributor who bought the actual label making raw material from China.
Similarly you also argue that the raw materials used for emblem were all Chinese
Same about the packing material and the transport trucks are from China.
You can also go ahead and say my own project was funded by a Chinese investor.
Who am I to stop you @Keith

PS: To complete the Chinese rant - The courier guy who had come to pick delivery had for breakfast Chinese noodles and told me the water bottle he carried is made in China. Yes you can't avoid the "C".

Last edited:

keith_correa

Forgot to mention 3 more vendors in the list-
Emblem supplier - local artwork shop from Thane.
Labels ,- local printer from China
Packing material - local supplier from Bhiwandi
Courier - Gaati transport.

Now you can go ahead and argue that the label supplier bought his labels from Avery Dennison, India distributor who bought the actual label making raw material from China.
Similarly you also argue that the raw materials used for emblem were all Chinese
Same about the packing material and the transport trucks are from China.
You can also go ahead and say my own project was funded by a Chinese investor.
Who am I to stop you @Keith

PS: To complete the Chinese rant - The courier guy who had come to pick delivery had for breakfast Chinese noodles and told me the water bottle he carried is made in China. Yes you can't avoid the "C".
This is not about you trying to stop me or me trying to stop anyone. It's not personal - I'm beyond all that. What I stated were facts based on my own experience just as you stated facts based on your experience.
Also, with this post. you've just not made any sort of sense and in my opinion are just rambling now. But that's to be expected. In my experience that is typical of many people. When confronted with facts either the goalpost shifts or is directed in a totally different direction. I was wondering when that point would come and now it has. I'm out of here because I refuse to get to that level. Have fun! :rolleyes:

Passive_audio_enthusiast

This is not about you trying to stop me or me trying to stop anyone. It's not personal - I'm beyond all that. What I stated were facts based on my own experience just as you stated facts based on your experience.
Also, with this post. you've just not made any sort of sense and in my opinion are just rambling now. But that's to be expected. In my experience that is typical of many people. When confronted with facts either the goalpost shifts or is directed in a totally different direction. I was wondering when that point would come and now it has. I'm out of here because I refuse to get to that level. Have fun! :rolleyes:
As Keith mentioned here, at some level there is a Chinese connection when you dig deep on everything we use today. Also we don’t know how long this tension would last. After a point we all will go back to our comfort zone in ordering again from Ali.

Hiten

It seems tensions will last long time. Don't know what chinese goals are or what they are upto. Either a small confrontation Or just small nibbling away territory so as our military is divided on multiple fronts limiting our resources. Looks like they think economic cost are already there in this global pandemic times so why not do such things. They have invested in large no of countries and may be things are slipping out of their hands. aggressive stances are never helpful. Trust is gone. Hope Better sense prevails. No one gains. Wars are so medieval.
regards

antoniodias

Readers I agree that India should be self sufficient, but can we now instantly? We need to have the basic infrastructure first, and then gradually be independent. Even if we start today , it may take decades.

All I know so far is that when we get up in the morning it is Good Morning China, which then leads to Good Afternoon China, and while we lay in bed it is then Good Night China.

SachinChavan

An easy to understand but well-supported by facts article on the subject.

Here are a couple of graphs from the article that show the huge (and widening) gap between China and India in both productivity and innovation.

A9051B46-21BC-4B28-BDD4-769E84FB9CDB.jpeg
0FCB69E5-1D44-45B5-9F95-E8F92E0A3A1B.jpeg

Also, the article makes a pertinent point that more than half of our imports from China are for capital and intermediate goods. Boycotts/bans can put pressure on the supply chains of our own manufacturing firms. Consumer goods are a smaller part of our imports from China.

There must be a reason why the government is not putting sanctions on imports from China. It’s not as simple as the WhatsApp university makes it out to be.

Neeraj0272

Times
Re: ‘Replace China’: India looks to lure over 1,000 US businesses
https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...ained-6465949/

Excellent article.
I personally feel that in this climate of 'Nationalism' in India, common man is willingly becoming a puppet in the hands of politicians and have lost his common sense to see what is best for the people and thereby for the country.
China has been our 'enemy' ever since 1962. So if any one is shouting today that China is our mortal enemy then they must answer why they ignored this for the last 50 years and allowed India and vice versa China to cosy up?
And if we are going to think in the binary of hero and villain and friend and enemy then it is a reflection on the incompetence of our foreign policy. In international relations there are no permanent enemy or friend. There is only national interest which sadly most of the times politicians hijack.
Trump is doing it in US.

Childish tantrums. Once again only common man will suffer

sathtom

Childish tantrums. Once again only common man will suffer
Not only the finished products, all non-essential raw materials and parts from china are on Hold without any official G.O. Indian manufacturers depending on raw materials or parts from China will be the most affected.

Neeraj0272

Not only the finished products, all non-essential raw materials and parts from china are on Hold without any official G.O. Indian manufacturers depending on raw materials or parts from China will be the most affected.
Another nail in the coffin of Indian economy.

OM_2K19

I am not sure how possible it is to boycott Chinese goods altogether, but we should start working to reduce dependency. It may take some time but if we frame favourable policy, attract investments, cut down corruption, I don't see any reason why we can't so this. The business which is going out of China is considering other Asian countries over India. That's unfortunate.

Neeraj0272

I am not sure that it is even the right thing to do.
Rigt now we are not at war with China and seems like the present govt wants to avoid war at all cost.
These trade measures will not dent Chinese a bit. There are other far better ways to negotiate peace with China, mainly the diplomatic ways.
Now there is a lot of hype in measures to restrict trade. The businesses at both sides will find a loophole to circumvent these restrictions. And the so called advocates of these restrictions will be the first in line to find a loophole and profit from these restrictions. All our 'patriotic' business houses and the public are the same.
Sometimes later govt will quietly remove these restrictions and no one will notice.
This whole exercise will be in vain and our enemies will gain a peek into the working of our framing of foreign policies which sadly is only for display to domestic public.

sound and music

The following article provides official statistics and analysis showing how much Indian economy is dependent on China, from APIs required for making pharmaceuticals to electronics: