Boycott Chinese goods - Is it possible

Forgot to mention 3 more vendors in the list-
Emblem supplier - local artwork shop from Thane.
Labels ,- local printer from China
Packing material - local supplier from Bhiwandi
Courier - Gaati transport.

Now you can go ahead and argue that the label supplier bought his labels from Avery Dennison, India distributor who bought the actual label making raw material from China.
Similarly you also argue that the raw materials used for emblem were all Chinese
Same about the packing material and the transport trucks are from China.
You can also go ahead and say my own project was funded by a Chinese investor.
Who am I to stop you @Keith

PS: To complete the Chinese rant - The courier guy who had come to pick delivery had for breakfast Chinese noodles and told me the water bottle he carried is made in China. Yes you can't avoid the "C".

Last edited:
Forgot to mention 3 more vendors in the list-
Emblem supplier - local artwork shop from Thane.
Labels ,- local printer from China
Packing material - local supplier from Bhiwandi
Courier - Gaati transport.

Now you can go ahead and argue that the label supplier bought his labels from Avery Dennison, India distributor who bought the actual label making raw material from China.
Similarly you also argue that the raw materials used for emblem were all Chinese
Same about the packing material and the transport trucks are from China.
You can also go ahead and say my own project was funded by a Chinese investor.
Who am I to stop you @Keith

PS: To complete the Chinese rant - The courier guy who had come to pick delivery had for breakfast Chinese noodles and told me the water bottle he carried is made in China. Yes you can't avoid the "C".
This is not about you trying to stop me or me trying to stop anyone. It's not personal - I'm beyond all that. What I stated were facts based on my own experience just as you stated facts based on your experience.
Also, with this post. you've just not made any sort of sense and in my opinion are just rambling now. But that's to be expected. In my experience that is typical of many people. When confronted with facts either the goalpost shifts or is directed in a totally different direction. I was wondering when that point would come and now it has. I'm out of here because I refuse to get to that level. Have fun! :rolleyes:

This is not about you trying to stop me or me trying to stop anyone. It's not personal - I'm beyond all that. What I stated were facts based on my own experience just as you stated facts based on your experience.
Also, with this post. you've just not made any sort of sense and in my opinion are just rambling now. But that's to be expected. In my experience that is typical of many people. When confronted with facts either the goalpost shifts or is directed in a totally different direction. I was wondering when that point would come and now it has. I'm out of here because I refuse to get to that level. Have fun! :rolleyes:
As Keith mentioned here, at some level there is a Chinese connection when you dig deep on everything we use today. Also we don’t know how long this tension would last. After a point we all will go back to our comfort zone in ordering again from Ali.

It seems tensions will last long time. Don't know what chinese goals are or what they are upto. Either a small confrontation Or just small nibbling away territory so as our military is divided on multiple fronts limiting our resources. Looks like they think economic cost are already there in this global pandemic times so why not do such things. They have invested in large no of countries and may be things are slipping out of their hands. aggressive stances are never helpful. Trust is gone. Hope Better sense prevails. No one gains. Wars are so medieval.
regards

Readers I agree that India should be self sufficient, but can we now instantly? We need to have the basic infrastructure first, and then gradually be independent. Even if we start today , it may take decades.

All I know so far is that when we get up in the morning it is Good Morning China, which then leads to Good Afternoon China, and while we lay in bed it is then Good Night China.

An easy to understand but well-supported by facts article on the subject.

Here are a couple of graphs from the article that show the huge (and widening) gap between China and India in both productivity and innovation.

A9051B46-21BC-4B28-BDD4-769E84FB9CDB.jpeg
0FCB69E5-1D44-45B5-9F95-E8F92E0A3A1B.jpeg

Also, the article makes a pertinent point that more than half of our imports from China are for capital and intermediate goods. Boycotts/bans can put pressure on the supply chains of our own manufacturing firms. Consumer goods are a smaller part of our imports from China.

There must be a reason why the government is not putting sanctions on imports from China. It’s not as simple as the WhatsApp university makes it out to be.

Childish tantrums. Once again only common man will suffer

Not only the finished products, all non-essential raw materials and parts from china are on Hold without any official G.O. Indian manufacturers depending on raw materials or parts from China will be the most affected.

I am not sure how possible it is to boycott Chinese goods altogether, but we should start working to reduce dependency. It may take some time but if we frame favourable policy, attract investments, cut down corruption, I don't see any reason why we can't so this. The business which is going out of China is considering other Asian countries over India. That's unfortunate.

The following article provides official statistics and analysis showing how much Indian economy is dependent on China, from APIs required for making pharmaceuticals to electronics:

All is forgotten. Commerce and greed triumphs over everything else.
Cheers,
Sid

Any economy needs few basic ingredients to become a hub of anything, say manufacturing in this case.
World class skill sets
R&D
Skilled manpower
Govt support (Policies, Law and order)
Entrepreneurs
After having such ingredients, it needs a gestation period to evolve.

Sadly, today we desire everything instantly, like Maggy noodles.

How long a gestation period? India's big corporate groups have been in the list of some of the biggest in the world for quite some time.
Name some indigenous technology any of these corporates have developed!
Even Ambani is trying to ride on the back of Google and Facebook after having killed the competition by brute force. I understand that this is business for these corporates but as a nation what have we have gained from these corporates?
You talked about govt support but I am sorry hoe much govt support these corporates need? Right from the independence these corporates enjoyed protectionism and then in the 90s huge subsidies were given to exporters. What have these companies to show for this govt support?

While I acknowledge some of the points mentioned;
We need to arrive at root causes which are responsible for this state of affairs instead of drawing conclusions at once.

The recent Doklam standoff has suddenly increased a sense of patriotism and suddenly there is a surge of boycotting Chinese products.However as per WTO it is impossible to impose a ban on importing.It is also not viable to ban cause we not only import but we export too.
We do depend a lot on Chinese products and electronics is not the only one.We rely on them for a major portion of pharmaceutical products. They are in the steel sector, Indian startup companies (investments) and so on.
However there are ways where we can stop relying on them for quite a few things. Start importing from other countries till we are able to establish manufacturing which will take some time.
Infrastructure costs should be made viable.
Encourage domestic producers through tariffs on finished products.
Skilled labor is required.
Consumer Awareness (it was good to see that Country of origin is required to be mentioned )
Promote Indian products.
I am sure there are a lot of things that can be done and avoided.I do feel that we can make a conscious choice and make sure we don't use apps like tiktok, or buy electronics which is not required especially things like Diwali diyas, idols etc. High cost is an issue but we can start somewhere. I understand that things like 'boycott China', "Make in India', 'Mera Bharat Mahan' etc might be playing into politicians/ bureaucrats hands, but as a consumer I am ready to let go of things which are not essential /or there might be an alternative.

My conclusions are:
1. Our education system which is rote based
2. over-reliance on English
3. ethnic, religious & cultural values
and many more.
1. Perhaps to some extent but not really. Education system is only for training children - even the system followed in western world has its elements of "going by the book" Basically the concept of school is to "go by the book".
2. How?
3. This is the most important point. The culture and attitude of Americans is completely different from Indians. Europeans midway, but closer to Americans.

My conclusions are:
1. Our education system which is rote based
2. over-reliance on English
3. ethnic, religious & cultural values
and many more.

1. Yes
2. No. India already has many languages and sizeable english speaking nos.
3. Not really. Only cultural that too the influences brought in due to colonial rulers.

Education system under british did change the mind set , influenced the culture, choked the native r & d.

4. Skillset that enabled Ancient and medieval India to Ace the world trade is gone

5. Over reliance on imported tech and goods ( even in agri sector)

6. Faultful Population management

7. Politicians- Corporate nexus (Lack of corporate (&) governance)

8. Broken connect between the bureaucracy and the governed

9. Rare promising talents killed by corruption

Sure there must be many more

What influences are you talking about? Modern world is going to be more and more integrated and these influences are normal course of flow.

Basic Purpose of British colonialism was to economic; to find sources of raw materials for their factories, markets for their finished goods and evangelical activities. Their implented policies to that end which included changing of education system, killing of competition (as happened to silk/cotton industry, suppression of skills), bringing about changes in consumer behaviour and so many more.

Basic difference between intergration in Modern times and that era is today it out of need/interdependance/technological/unavoidable. That time it was oneway, coerced and forced.

I will like you to give some examples of native r&d happening before the Brits came to India.

When we hear words like science and R&D in the context of India, we are bound to get surprised. But there are so many evidences which points to the excellence achieved in many areas.
1. Recent one we come to know Tipu experimented with rockets
2. Sushrut gives details about anatomy and doctorate which is not possible without r&d.
3. Iron pillar points to metallurgy.
4. Construction of Taj Mahal, Jantar Mantar, Jal mahal, Kailasa temple, so many surviving temples in South India (Praveen Mohan videos on you tube are good) indicates buidling tech
5. Perfection in Grammer of Sankrit
6. Bhaskar, Aryabhatt, Varahmihir, Ramanuj in maths
there was a proper tradition of Gurukuls in every village and schools like Nalanda, Taxila in many states. Also family professions contributed to cheving perfection in those work. Check the work on ancient gold ornments and things .. its uality cannot be achieved today. This was through obsevation and experimentation at that time.

This process got disturbed when social changes hppened

4. Also please give examples how India aced world trade?

There are several study papers by PhD scholars which indicates India had almost 25% share in world GDP till 18th Century. Europe including England and Dutch used to import majority from of their Asian import from India.
In fact, the quests of Columbus and Vasco da Gama was for finding shortest sea routes to India so that their countries can benefit economically. During Mughals, India was still a leader and manufacturing center in textiles, shipbuilding, steel, medicinal products.
Gujarat, Kerala, Tamilnadu, Odisha were prominent trade ports.
Self-reliance of each village used to be a backbone of state economy.

All is forgotten. Commerce and greed triumphs over everything else.
Cheers,
Sid
There was a huge outcry on this all-over, so today I read reports that Vivo will be pulling out of the sponsorship this year. However there were indications that they can take up sponsorship in the upcoming years - I guess when we become bhai-bhai with the Chinese again.
Cheers,
Sid

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back