Boycott Chinese goods - Is it possible

My gut feeling is that the govt earns more revenue straight out of imports rather than manufacture . With import duties of over 30 % for most items , the govt does not have to do anything to earn that money . TO manufacture the same product in India govt has to provide subsidies , bank loans , infrastructure etc .
But at the same time, we lose out on Jobs creation... :(

That is what i mentioned in my earlier post . We need to find jobs in other countries and export people so that they can send dollars back home .
Hehehehe.. Unfortunately, no one is ready to accommodate us any longer... Everyone is busy protecting their local Job.

Lets take a small example: mosquito killers. It has been here for a decade, yet no mfr has come up even with a battery. There is no IC involved, yet no one took a plunge despite assured market. Dishwashers, Soundbars ... are mostly imported despite huge demand. Pity, we can't even mfr Staplers that work.

Until now we just know about Chinese manufacturing , economic war . I am still waiting to hear about the Chinese culture wars . 5 years back except for Jackie Chan movies not many knew about Chinese films . Now most Chinese films are dubbed into African regional languages which is over the top execution . Similar treatment is being done thought Chinese state owned news corporations . In the pacific region China has effectively spread news channels like CGTN and in Africa we now have bars , homes playing Chinese movies with local language dubbing .
In a very few years expect Chinese and African movie industry to take over Hollywood and Bollywood .

Until now we just know about Chinese manufacturing , economic war
This started 4 decades ago, till then most Indian cos enjoyed monopoly. Speaking about parts (transistors) used in making Transistor Radios. A set of 7 BEL sold for Rs 21/-, enter Chinese and their sales price was Rs 13.40 only. In a face to face meeting at Lajpat Rai Mkt in Old Delhi, BEL people asked how come so low price? Calculate your full year's production of electrolytic capacitors - our one day's production is more in China. Same with semiconductors and everything you can think of. BEL bowed out within a month. The arrival of McDonalds humbled Nirulas' ... Indians don't love competition.

I still remember the decorative lights for Diwali, the twisting of wires on bulbs, using one Master Bulb, every year till Chinese arrived. Remember "Chabi wale khilone"? They still exist with that same decades' old mechanism ... no improvement till date. What to speak of our manufacturing? If Maruti had not arrived, we would still be driving in Ambassador, Fiat ...

This started 4 decades ago, till then most Indian cos enjoyed monopoly. Speaking about parts (transistors) used in making Transistor Radios. A set of 7 BEL sold for Rs 21/-, enter Chinese and their sales price was Rs 13.40 only. In a face to face meeting at Lajpat Rai Mkt in Old Delhi, BEL people asked how come so low price? Calculate your full year's production of electrolytic capacitors - our one day's production is more in China. Same with semiconductors and everything you can think of. BEL bowed out within a month. The arrival of McDonalds humbled Nirulas' ... Indians don't love competition.

I still remember the decorative lights for Diwali, the twisting of wires on bulbs, using one Master Bulb, every year till Chinese arrived. Remember "Chabi wale khilone"? They still exist with that same decades' old mechanism ... no improvement till date. What to speak of our manufacturing? If Maruti had not arrived, we would still be driving in Ambassador, Fiat ...
Nobody loves competition per se though it brings out the best (and worst in us).

I shall not comment on whether we Indians love competition or not but nevertheless, it is pertinent to note that India is the highest user of trade remedial measures, especially tariff based, amongst all members of the WTO.

Coincidence?

Not Just in China . Chinese have better source of funds for offshore projects and they are encouraged to do volume business and compete . Chinese govt is also proactive in the sense that Chinese loan money to weak , poor countries and then using that money they promise to create infrastructure in those countries like building dams , roads , railways . When the Chinese company gets the contract the next thing that they do is to flood a bunch of Chinese into those countries . I have seen Chinese working on road projects in Nigeria at 6 am in the morning . An average Nigerian worker would start work at 9 and pack up by 4 , but these Chinese workers start at 6 and work till 6 PM .

While our Indian govt is considering to sell Shipping corporation , Chinese govt has been actively concentrating on providing cheap shipping options over sea , air to its manufacturers . Chinese lines offer cheaper shipping and faster timings from Africa and Europe . Silk road , buying up ports in small countries are examples of China improving its shipping lines .

The cost difference btwn Indian and Chinese is not much on most low end products but if we calculate with shipping it is substantial for an european country . Without an active ship building industry and shipping lines Indian manufacturers cannot really survive .

The general mindset is to think China manufactures it all at a cheaper price , but what most of us do not realise is that South Korea , Taiwan , Indonesia , Thailand , Vietnam are leaders in many manufacturing industries and even the Chinese are not able to compete with them . So not all is lost for India . We just need a govt capable of understanding the dynamics of an export oriented economy .
An article related to my above post . https://theprint.in/opinion/indias-...are-riding-high-filling-their-coffers/705312/

I am not politically or culturally aware, also its been a while since I visited China (last visit was in 2011) so I don't really know about the origins of covid except for what I've read in the press.

But i know one thing for sure, through my childhood I loved DIY but used to struggle with the poor quality of Indian components, especially anything mechanical. In most cases I had to struggle for days to get projects to work, thanks to faulty components purchased new. One could walk past a road-side store (we had these electronics repair shops almost in every other corner in those times, just like automobile workshops) only to find lots of imported audio equipment just lying there, as spares were not available. As a little boy, I remember I had to save and save and save to collect the 200 bucks required to buy a rather poor quality cassette mechanism and then more saving for building a stereo amp and speakers. Fast forward to today, for as little as 150 bucks, one can buy a mp3/fm radio/bluetooth board and and amplifier board for another 150-200 bucks and you have an entertainment system. If you want any part, especially obsolete ones, check out aliexpress and they are there. For hobbyists, there are so many options. Folks laugh at the quality of chinese goods but i believe these are the guys on budgets who buy cheap and fake stuff. If one is ready to spend a bit, there are good quality chinese goods available. I am sure many mechanics and DIY guys have been hurt badly by the issues with imports and couriers coming from China. With my limited intellect, I choose to leave the larger issues for more intelligent folks to debate about and act on. I just love my transistors and diodes :)

I just love my transistors and diodes :)
Me too. Just love how Chinese made the step down transformer a thing of the past, taught the world how to go forward. Those blinking lights, the mosquito racket, all with a few resistors and zener diodes.

I am not for India becoming a dumpling ground of low quality products. However, can we live without imported items or raw materials? It's highly impossible in this age.
I have seen so many innovative products that come from China. Their creativity and jugaaD methods both are amazing.
They find solutions to day today problems what people face. Mosquito swatter quoted by other FMs here is a great example.
When I came back to India, in the apartment where I stayed, it had a DG back up, so I did not want to invest on an online UPS. But the problem was ADSL modem used to take 4 to 8 minutes to get back on internet. I thought about a battery back up which gives out 12V DC instead of using a computer UPS. Searched everywhere but couldn't find. Then built one on my own using a lead acid battery charger kit from AliExpress, a motorcycle battery, a regulator IC and diodes. Come 2014, I bought a router UPS from AliExpress which has 18650 batteries and compact. This is just an example of how people think about small issues and find business opportunity.
Now all places sell such products imported from China.
Going back to the same example, many online retailers blatantly sell Chinese products with "Make in India" sticker. If am sure even that make in India sticker also is made in China.
It's identical except for the label. Mold lines too are same

India is capable of developing things here. But cost at which China is able to manufacture is a challenge for various reasons.
Wish someday we achieve a meaningful balance

Attachments

• IMG-20210731-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210731-WA0000.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20210731-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210731-WA0001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 21
It's not voluntary. It's under duress. Duress of the upcoming spectre of national shame of seeing Indian assets including Air India being seized and auctioned off on behalf of Cairns & Vodafone!
It's 7 years too late and after losing all litigations!
So please don't reward the foolhardiness of the govt by saying that it's a right step.
I second you; Mr. Gupa has explained this pretty well... Government took too much time. Good thing that they did it. I still wonder why an intellectual like Pranab-da enacted such a law in the first place.

Our Govt seems to have a problem with every foreign company. Be it Toyota, Facebook, Twitter, Tesla, Amazon etc. Problems with everyone.
The Union Minister, which is a very foolish guy says to Amazon that they are not doing a favor in investing a billion dollars in India.
Tesla says the import duty in india is so high we cant sell our cars here which are already costly and will be out of reach for most people in India.
Vodafone will die soon. Then most probably will Airtel.
Toyota says it seems the govt doesnt want us here after we came here and invested a lot of money.
So we are going back to those monopoly days where Ambassador and Fiat ruled the market.
Patriotism is ok to a certain extent but not buying Chinese goods or banning them is outright stupid imho. Competition is good, consumer is the king if there is no monopoly.

But cost at which China is able to manufacture is a challenge for various reasons.
One of the major cost hinder is the "inspectors". No matter how detailed books you maintain, they often visit and ask for grease. If you don't oblige, call you to their HQ for assessment, but don't meet you there. The day you are late, get ex parte decision and you are screwed. I can put many such realities ... but you can get the point

Toyota says it seems the govt doesnt want us here after we came here and invested a lot of money.
When they came, they invested money and Govt showed it as their good policy inviting investment. Now the purpose is over

Last edited:
One of the major cost hinder is the "inspectors". No matter how detailed books you maintain, they often visit and ask for grease. If you don't oblige, call you to their HQ for assessment, but don't meet you there. The day you are late, get ex parte decision and you are screwed. I can put many such realities ... but you can get the point
I completely agree on this. My cousin owns a small factory in a village and he had to pay Rs. 1.2 Lakhs per annum for these "inspections". He says that after GST implementation, he is not paying even one rupee bribe. But Kitex moving out of Kerala is a clear example of these inspectors hungama.
Rather than boycotting entire import, (which is impossible for any country) simplify the local licensing, manufacturing processes and promote local products.
It's both in the hands of the government and the consumers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back