Bravia HX850 successor -W900A with Quantum Dot !

Sadly, 42 and 47" panels are LG IPS panels :( So I'm a bit worried about black level performance of W802A and W650A models.

W900A uses AUO AMVA panel. And X9000 55 and 65 use AUO as well. So does the W600A.

Sadly, 42 and 47" panels are LG IPS panels :( So I'm a bit worried about black level performance of W802A and W650A models.

W900A uses AUO AMVA panel. And X9000 55 and 65 use AUO as well. So does the W600A.
The fact of the matter is:

- when anyone sees some fancy sounding term associated such as "IPS", s/he thinks that this must be something latest and greatest - Strike 1
- I see this on this TV but not on the other - so this must be better - Strike 2
- when a novice asks a dealer what "IPS" means, he tells that IPS panel allows unhindered viewing from very wide angles; non IPS panel TV won't - Strike 3

Going! Going!! Gone!!! :)

But who cares about what other people think about IPS or what the dealers say about IPS.
The fact is IPS panels have poor blacks ,unless they have local dimming.I guess the LG panels must have a really low OEM price compared to the VA panels.

Even AUO AMVA panels now have passive 3d.

Last edited:
But who cares about what other people think about IPS or what the dealers say about IPS.
The fact is IPS panels have poor blacks ,unless they have local dimming.I guess the LG panels must have a really low OEM price compared to the VA panels.

Even AUO AMVA panels now have passive 3d.
But you see, that is not exactly the point. I was saying why IPS is popular. Technically knowledgeable people will know the difference and make an informed decision - and even then they may choose IPS over SPVA for some other considerations.

- when anyone sees some fancy sounding term associated such as "IPS", s/he thinks that this must be something latest and greatest - Strike 1
- I see this on this TV but not on the other - so this must be better - Strike 2
- when a novice asks a dealer what "IPS" means, he tells that IPS panel allows unhindered viewing from very wide angles; non IPS panel TV won't - Strike 3

I appreciate the humour...really do!!!

haha, point very well made in a humourous manner :D
I think now a days LG makes this a prime selling point for selling their LEDs and must say people do fall for it :)

Why is Sony using LG panels???
Is it to bring down the manufacturing cost?
Are they confidant of their processing to mask any panel related PQ issues?
What is happenning to Sony's stature?:eek:

How do you know that sony is using lg's panel?

@Dirac

I think it has more to do LG's Passive 3D I believe ???? And it's not as if LG IPS panel are dirt cheap or something. They cost about the same as other panels. W802A uses Dynamic EDGE LED lighting, so possibly they can fix the contrast issue

@lake1988

Internal Sources.

Even Sony 84 inch 4K tv uses LG IPS panel but it has better pq compared to the LG udtv. Some reviews even called it one of the best TVs ever made.

So I have a feeling Sony will somehow fix the shortcomings of the panel

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk

Actually for screen size has large as 84" its better to use a IPS panel because at such large screen sizes viewing angle does play a important role considering one can sit really close to a 4k tv.

The W8xx has edge local dimming which should help in contrast but the lower end models which don't have local dimming if they use a IPS then will have a contrast level same as that of Sony 42EX410 or lg lcd which is nothing to right about.

^ I guess the Idioms you were trying would be "nothing write home about".

And it's not as if LG IPS panel are dirt cheap or something. They cost about the same as other panels. W802A uses Dynamic EDGE LED lighting, so possibly they can fix the contrast issue

Weren't you or some of them Sony folks were posting earlier that IPS panels are cheaper that's why LG uses them, and no matter what LED back super lighting LG uses you folks said the blacks and contrast was always inferior so why the sudden change of heart now? because Sony uses IPS it becomes magical overnight?

it has better pq compared to the LG udtv.

I have a feeling Sony will somehow fix the shortcomings of the panel

Great! who compared it side by side and posted measurements to actually make sense that it is better than LG 4K tv ? or is this one of those feelings you usually have about Sony?

Absolute contrast of the panel is the least of concerns in a moving picture. What matters more is how uniform the panel is and how much clouding exists in the panel.

Also while VA panels do have better absolute contrast, they have much much poorer color accuracy compared to IPS panels. So while you gain contrast, you lose color accuracy which to me is sort of a deal breaker.

Sony will surprise quiet a few people on this forum with the picture quality it will be able to produce out of an ips panel.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back