Budget Plasma LG 42PN4500 review

recently I chat with samsung customer service.. he said it has.

Manish :
Samsung Namaskar, This is manish. How may I help you
Manish :
Good Evening Sir
Gurujee Swetachandan :
Hi, I wanto to know does the 43H4900 plasma tv have "600hz sub-field" or not ?
Manish :
Sure Sir I will help you in this regard
Manish :
Kindly stay online while I retrieve the required information. This may take up to one minute
Gurujee Swetachandan :
Than You
Gurujee Swetachandan :
thank you
Manish :
Thank you for staying online. I appreciate your patience in this regard.solution is under
Manish :
Yers it has
Manish :
Yes*
Manish :
Below mentioned is the link which says
Manish :
Samsung Plasma TV flashes a single image up to 600 times a second.
Manish :
Samsung 43 Inch Plasma TV, 3D LED TV Price, Specs - SAMSUNG India - FEATURES
Gurujee Swetachandan :
Than You. I got confused as it is not mentioned in specification

Greetings to All
This is my first post, but I am regularly following this forum, I need your suggestion for upgrading my 29 inch Samsung CRT with 42 inch flat panel by this October. My budget is restricted to upto 45K, my requirements are.
Picture clarity,
Service
Durability
non 3D and without smart features.
We have hathway STB, We watch Hindi Soap opera on SD channel and DVD Rip movies though pen drive. Please guide me a suitable VFM panel which suits my requirement.
Shall I buy LED or Plasma.
By reading your reviews on Plasma, I became fan of plasma TV, If I buy plasma TV I will take precaution for 350hrs to avoid IR and Burn in issue by avoiding channel logo and black bars, avoiding static image for long time.
But my biggest concern for plasma TV is that after 350 hours of running time still I need to take care of black bar, static channel logo because I live in large joint family it is always not possible to take precautions.
I think, I dont have problem of Reflection on plasma TV as I am replacing my plasma with 29 inch CRT, I dont have any reflection issue with my CRT.
Please guide me for my large family I go with Plasma or LED.

Guys,

I'm new to this forum, i need your help.

i'm planning to buy this LG model but my doubt is that will it be enough for a living room say 10 ft viewing distance or suggest me some other model even led in budget?.

Guys,

I'm new to this forum, i need your help.

i'm planning to buy this LG model but my doubt is that will it be enough for a living room say 10 ft viewing distance or suggest me some other model even led in budget?.
LG will be a VFM. It has natural colours and contrast. No LED at the same price point got the same pic quality as this LG. For 10ft, it will be quite good if not big.

I was researching for new plasma TV and bumped into this thread. Two issues - 1024x768 is not 720p. Why is everybody so confused about this inspite of doing so much research? You are spreading misconceptions about the product for the casual surfer with less time to research who may be mislead. Secondly it has already been confirmed by a buyer who posted that black levels are not that good in dim lighting. Why are some posters ignoring that and insisting that black levels are great?!

G
Edit: I found this explanation -
How 1024x768 42" plasmas achieve a 16:9 aspect ratio is because they do not use square (all 4 sides even length) but rather use rectangular (horizontal sides are longer) pixels to achieve this 16:9 aspect ratio with a 4:3 resolution. It is harder to notice with moving pictures so most don't notice this, but it is easier to see with a computer screen text that doesn't move.

OK if somebody can confirm the true black level capability of this TV I will buy it next weekend.

Last edited:
Another question- does sd content appear stretched horizontally on this tv? Do I need to display sd content with vertical bars by changing some settings?

I think even if you save money on this TV one will have to spend big bucks on a AV preamp to convert optical DTS/AC3 Dolby to RCA out for external speakers.

Samsung H4900 doesn't have 600Hz sub-field.

It does have 600Hz

Using the latest in subfield motion technology, Samsung Plasma TV flashes a single image up to 600 times a second. The result is smoother images with unprecedented picture quality, no matter how fast the images are moving.

Finally installed it and watched some DVD 480p movies. Lovely PQ, great blacks, much better than what I saw in the showroom. After tweaking color balance and saturation, comparable to the CRT and much better PQ and satisfaction overall. None of the pinkish hues to skin tone or green tinge that I saw on all the LEDs in the showroom.

This looks like one of the best buys one can make.

G

Finally installed it and watched some DVD 480p movies. Lovely PQ, great blacks, much better than what I saw in the showroom. After tweaking color balance and saturation, comparable to the CRT and much better PQ and satisfaction overall. None of the pinkish hues to skin tone or green tinge that I saw on all the LEDs in the showroom.

This looks like one of the best buys one can make.

G

Congrats. I guess you were impressed with LB5610 instead of plasma? What made you change your mind and that too in favor of LG instead of Samsung H4900 Plasma

Congrats. I guess you were impressed with LB5610 instead of plasma? What made you change your mind and that too in favor of LG instead of Samsung H4900 Plasma
If you are referring to a post I made in another thread (can't recall the model) yes I was impressed with an led 1080p tv . Clearly 720p is poorer than 1080p when doing side by side comparisons. But as a standalone TV 720p PQ from the LG was good enough. I had more confidence that SD content would display better on the LG. The Samsung was over saturated with the skin tones having pinkish hues. The grass on the football pitch was more natural and with clearly outlined individual leaves/blades on LG and the image of the football fans more sharp and well defined. The fewer pixel count in Samsung destroys its PQ compared to the LG. The Samsung not only had a gaudy green color overcast neon like glow where the grass was but it also distracted from the non green areas of the image. And the football fans looked soft and fuzzy in the distance. The shadow of the football stadium on the pitch was better defined and the bright and shade areas simply looked more natural on the LG. The shadow areas of the football pitch on the samsung were with an overcast green and not natural shade. Also the LG did not have the green tinge to people's faces due to de-judder technology in fast motion scenes whereas I found after some rudimentary research this was the reason for all the led TVs showing green cast on pink faces with out exception. There was some 40 to 50 TVs on display. The LG plasma was the only exception and that too at typically 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost. The 4k TVs displaying 4k content were of course flawless but the price is out of bracket. For 1/3rd the price I got 95% of the PQ with the missing 5% being lack of 1080p resolution considering that the good but expensive LED TV did not beat the color reproduction on the much cheaper LG. The money saved goes towards buying a new photography class desktop monitor. :)

I also feel there is a lot of scope for improving PQ on those "bad" TVs but only if tweaked by a person who is also a hobby photographer that processes raw images. People just don't know how to set color balance gamma tint and saturation. Period. I improved upon the PQ seen in the showroom dramatically, and within minutes of turning on my TV by changing these settings. That said the dominant color being like a fluorescent overcast in areas of the screen on the Samsung have me less confident that tweaking would make it surpass the LG. The Samsung made me recall the cheap CRT TVs of yesteryears with poor quality picture tubes. I do hope the Samsung owners on this thread have been successful in tweaking their color balance to improve the default PQ.

I now rate the PQ of my LG plasma way above the 29" CRT I purchased two years earlier. Of course largely due to 720 or 1080p source material being superior, but in terms of natural color reproduction it is not inferior to a CRT.

HTH
G

Last edited:
If you are referring to a post I made in another thread (can't recall the model) yes I was impressed with an led 1080p tv . The fewer pixel count in Samsung destroys its PQ compared to the LG. The Samsung not only had a gaudy green color overcast neon like glow where the grass was but it also distracted from the non green areas of the image. tweaking their color balance to improve the default PQ.

HTH
G

Well i agree with that LG pic > Samsung. Surprisingly many reviewes suggested Contrast on LG is pathetic or that LG blacks are terrible.

Per my observations, only issue with LG was : Red tone of Skin.

Apart from that, Constrast was better on LG,

LG produced quite VIBRANT COLORS. Samsung was more subtle.

Not sure now on if it makes sense to TRUST reviews..

Well i agree with that LG pic > Samsung. Surprisingly many reviewes suggested Contrast on LG is pathetic or that LG blacks are terrible.

Per my observations, only issue with LG was : Red tone of Skin.

Apart from that, Constrast was better on LG,

LG produced quite VIBRANT COLORS. Samsung was more subtle.

Not sure now on if it makes sense to TRUST reviews..
I don't have red skin tone with my color settings. Contrast is set at 8 brightness at 54. Blacks are comparable to CRT.

Hi,

Would like to know whether 42PN4500's HDMI supports ARC (Audio Return Channel)

No ARC. I use optical out into soundbar.
HTH

Hi gobble

Which sound bar do you use?

Does it have a headphone out?

Also if you don't mind can you share all the picture settings

If that is the case there is no point even spending 6000 bucks simply because in a tv there is no need for servicing. If for some reason there is a malfunction a a part replacement is needed

Thanks for sharing the information

Later on I too called lg customer care and as the technician who had come to install the tv, I was told parts will be replaced/repaired for free for 1 + 3 years
I insisted that I need confirmation on this. On that the rep talked to his senior and told me that service would be free, and I JUST have to pay for replacement parts

What a joke I should say

This is insane. I shall pick Sammy 4900 in this case. Why should I pay 5.5K for warranty if servicing only is covered.

I called LG care and they said all except physical damage is covered.

Sammy extended warranty is 2K less than that of LG and I got an offer for Rs 39000 for 43H4900.

Not to sound pessimistic, but it's better to get extended warranty for LG plasma. Mine had two board failures in the space of two months. Extended warranty saved me from shelling a huge amount.

Strange!! Someone quoted that Extended Warranty does not cover Parts at LG and only covers Servcie charges..

Very Strange...I was about to buy H4900 samsung basis that. Let me write to LG or call them

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back