Budget Speakers Auditioned-A noobs Take

In noida E 680 floor standers are selling for ~30k. Are these speakers any good? Is the price right? Is the price right when compared to others in this price range?

regards

well it doesnt produce a tight bass compared to similarly priced jamo c405,and since E680 is EOL product u should ask for a better deal.

Hai All,

Please find the link to the latest review of NANO speakers from NORGE Stable. Good review by AVMAX Mag.

N Murali.

http://norgeaudio.com/june09.pdf

The review makes the speakers look quite mouth watering esp considering the highly affordable price tag! Maybe this coupled with a norge 1000 maybe an affordable dedicated stereo set up for people like me! Looking forward to soemone s hands own experience with these lil wonders!

Hai all,

The NANO Rs.6750/- coupled with the NORGE 4242 at Rs.5200/- , added with a Decent source (read DVDP) should end up costing Rs.20,000/- and a budget conscious Audiophile would not have asked for more.

N Murali.

hello all once again

ive been auditioning some speakers lately for a friend and i thought ill update this thread

i also had an invite from ezone ( SOBO central ) mumbai for some auditions
god knows how they got my number

anyway
though ive audioned many speakers since the last post on this thread
the recent ones were
Jamo 606 towers ( again :D )
the reference sereis RC70 from energy
the Mission M 34

amps
yamaha ax 497
marantz SR 4023

i will be taking on the ezone invite soon
i think theres a warfedale listening room in there too together with Jamo onkyo yamaha and marantz

will post reviews when i can

where did you audition Marantz 4023?

Any views on the same vis-a-vis Yamaha RX-497
Is it inferior in any way to a stereo amp?

Also how much does it cost?

Raghav

amps
yamaha ax 497
marantz SR 4023

you are now world famous, at least in Mumbai :clapping:
hello all once again

ive been auditioning some speakers lately for a friend and i thought ill update this thread

i also had an invite from ezone ( SOBO central ) mumbai for some auditions
god knows how they got my number

anyway
though ive audioned many speakers since the last post on this thread
the recent ones were
Jamo 606 towers ( again :D )
the reference sereis RC70 from energy
the Mission M 34

amps
yamaha ax 497
marantz SR 4023

i will be taking on the ezone invite soon
i think theres a warfedale listening room in there too together with Jamo onkyo yamaha and marantz

Magma,

Hello , I have read your reviews of Norge and found them to be useful. Can you please go through my post and comment on it? I really do want your frank and honest opinion about it? Thanks

URL for my post is http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/6263-norge-concerto-gold-1000-md75-millenium-speakers.html

- Gollum

NOw i had a small discussion with Mr Bajaj and found that the Mosfet 2000 amp was built and designed to be more of a laid back amp and hence i was finding the detail missing in the highs.
MAybe this amp would fit just right with a monitor audio kind of speaker or for someone who really likes laid back sound

We then spoke about the concerto gold 1000
this amp has the same circuit as the accliamed 2060 from norge only the power amp transistor stage is heavier .
this is the amp i tried next

SPEAKER : The new Millenium speaker with a 6 inch driver and a 1 inch tweeter ( cost 10-10.5k)
AMP : Norge 2060 /concerto gold 1000 (i am comparing these amps at the insistance of mr bajaj who tells me the charecteistics are the same)
CDP : Phillips CD 931

My TAke
remember how i said this speaker lost out in the upper mids and highs
well this amp changed everything about that.
the mids and highs were back, they were nice and crisp.i loved it. vocals were the same .
Yes the bass had toned down a bit ( now i noticed the difference that amplfiers make!) but the music was warm and fatigue free.
Yes the PSB's and Tannoys ,Kefs, Quads are definetely more detailed , but for a beginner who doesnt miss these too much i think this is good package.
ALso note i heard the PSB tannoy etc with a NAD so the cost of them togther can easily be 35-40k whereas you get this combo for about 20k odd!-for that price diff a very small bit of detail may be sacrificed- this is ofcourse subjective)
i think this combination - the norge concerto gold 1000 with the Millenium 6 inch driver speaker is the most VFM setup i have heard yet!
it easily gives the warfedales a run for their money - actually i think it betters the warfedales 9.1 and 9.2!

SPEAKER : The MD 75
AMP : Norge 2060 /concerto gold 1000 (i am comparing these amps at the insistance of mr bajaj who tells me the charecteistics are the same)
CDP : Phillips CD 931

My take : well the mids at highs were at thier best here, bas was slighlly lacking and uninvolving and hence i vote the 6 inch milleniums over these.
i think the warfedales would win here in this setup

The MOSFET 2000 amp V/S the Norge concertoGold 1000
As you may have deduced from my speaker reviews the charecteristcs of these two amps differ
the mosfet is laid back and gives tremendous bass.it would need a more detialed speaker to pair well
The concerto gold is a more open amp with more detail and pairs better with the norge speakers and would do justice to warfedale and tannoy too.
result - the norge 1000 - I LIKE!!!

All in all kudus to mr bajaj . At last an indian manufacturer i like with truly VFM products
if anyone has a 20-25k budget i wouldnt blink in advicing norge

Hi Magma

I am planning to buy Norge 2060 amp. Could you please help me deciding on the Speakers to go with Norge 2060. My budget for the Speakers is 12K.

Thanks in advance
Chinmaya

Chinmaya
as kittu says

if you can get the sonodyne amp and speakers from the guy who is selling it on olx that would be great
especiailly since both of you are in Banglore

Have you already bought the 2060
if yes then the speakers that would go with these are
are the norge MK2
the norge MD75

though your budget can get you the warfedale 9.2(possibly) i would not advice you get them if you are getting a NORGE amp
if you are getting something slightly better you can think about the 9.2

another really good speaker to consider is a speaker from DNM
i cant remembr the model number - but this was showcased in the mumbai meet
i think kittu would know
the speaker costs 9k
and i found it to be brialliant for that price as well as anything south of 15k

i strongly suggest you consider that speaker

KittU

Thanks for the very usefull Link, but someone has already booked it. I was late.:sad:

Thanks
Chinmaya

Last edited:
Hi Magma

Thanks for your help

I have not purchased anything,

I have mailed the DNM, got information about mentioned speaker (SCS-808) it costing 9k (within my budget).

Do you have any idea how much Norge MKII will cost?
Please let me know what is your opinion about Norge 2060 Amp and their MKII speakers. Is there any VFM system available in Market ? My total budget is 22K (including amp + Speaker )

Thanks in advance
Chinmaya

I would suggest you do not buy anything without listening to it first. One man's food is anothers poison. Holds good for audio too. My take on the DNM's - I found the highs to be a little harsh. YMMV.

For 22k
the 2060 and the norge Mk2's or the DNMs are very much on the cards

i would go with either

but as keith says
listening to both sytems would be a good call

though i doubt you may get to hear the DNMs in Baglore

i personally liked the DNMs
i would assume they would be tamed using some correct cabling
If you can get the norge MOSFET amp - that would be a good match for the DNM since the mosfet is very tame , warm and rounded off

Hi Magma

I am planning to buy Norge 2060 amp. Could you please help me deciding on the Speakers to go with Norge 2060. My budget for the Speakers is 12K.

Thanks in advance
Chinmaya
CA S30 also pairs well with Norge 2060 & I heard personally.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back