Buffalo 2 DIY DAC

Re: Any Suggestion for a DAC buy

feels like half the worlds DIY artists who have a bit of electronic knowledge start building DACs

to compare something like this to a Buffalo 2 is foolish

the components of a DAC hardly cost anything
even the famed Benchmark DAC ( retail 1000$) has components only worth 200
its the implementation that counts

most of the dacs ive seen and tried from ebay fly by night operaters sound just a good as well an old oppo i used
Do the blind tests - because your mind will always give you a pseudo feeling of "wow what detail" (when you buy anything new)
Just using new age chips does not magically convert a dac made by a new company to a world beater ( or any regular dac beater for what its worth)

im pretty sure that a V dac will sound better at this price(ofcourse the Vdac has more to do with analogue sounding than detail orientation)

sir
only the buffalo chip is for 289
you will then need an output stage costing 140$
then you will need transformers, wires ,hardware etc
then wiring
then the cab

youre looking at 500$ plus the cab - plus you should note you will have to solder yourself

i didnot know about the output stage? you mean it cannot drive a an amp by itself

289 is not just for the ( ess saber32)chip but for the complete assembled dac module and then a powersupply in kit form

i am okay with the soldering. cabinet tfr etc

Edit:Answer to myself. this need a converter for doing balanced to single ended , costs 35$

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/linestages/ballsie.aspx

and for doing i to v

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/linestages/ivy.aspx

Last edited:

thats correct
technically just a resister would suffice since the dac module has to see a load,
thats what the 35$ component would do i think ( havent checked)

but the buffalo shines the most only when an active ckt like the IVY is added
if you are going buffalo the IVY is well worth it

P>S i know 289 $ is for the DAC module - when i used the word "chip" i actully meant the DAC chip module

i didnot know about the output stage? you mean it cannot drive a an amp by itself

289 is not just for the ( ess saber32)chip but for the complete assembled dac module and then a powersupply in kit form

i am okay with the soldering. cabinet tfr etc

Edit:Answer to myself. this need a converter for doing balanced to single ended , costs 35$

Ballsie Line Stage

and for doing i to v

The IVY Balanced Line Stage

From what I understood as a lay-man:

I/V stages are needed only for current output DACs. The ESS chip, which can technically act as a current out or a voltage out dac, performs best as a current output DAC and the Buffalo DAC(s) take advantage of this aspect. Hence, the need for I/V stages like the Ivy3 and Legato 2. Both the output stages have a built-in balanced to single-ended converter and can be used simultaneously. You can use the built-in volume control feature of the ESS chip and drive your power amp directly by the DAC, if your amp has sufficient gain of it's own...

Thanks venkat

Gruby

do you mean if i dont need the current output, then just the kit will work ? without the 1-v and balnced to single end conversion modules?

thanks, how does they compare, let me search that

so buffalo 2( which is not available now) costs 289$ +159$ for ivy= 448$

and opus is 175$ plus the ballsie -35$=210$

so without expensive speaker and amp whether i will notice the extra resolution of buffalo ?

From what owners have been claiming, moving up to the Buffalo from the Opus is indeed a big step up but the Opus is no slouch either. I'd say fixing your budget first and then deciding on the DAC would be your best bet. Also, along with the base kit, you might want to go for the USB receiver, ASRC module and the MUX module if you are planning for multiple sources. Spending some time at the Twisted Pear's sub-forum for the Opus and the other links from my earlier post should help you decide what exactly you need and if this DAC would match your requirements.

Opus DAC - Twisted Pear Audio Support

i read somewhere gamma 2 is better than opus, very close to buffalo, but it is not available as a kit/ tested module like the opus. not decided which way to go yet

edit: i am trying to get a module from "mister x" in amb site

Last edited:
I read quite the opposite! I'm sure you would not be disappointed either way. Please remember to post your impressions and the build details with cost when you have the time. Good luck!

Mister X said 270$ for an assembled kit without the cabinet, i just send him through paypal, further update when i get the module

here is a thread on this dac, i was referring to this post earlier

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/454445/amb-gamma2-dac-sound-impressions

Originally Posted by Shahrose

Just wanted to quickly update the thread. I have a Buffalo 32s now ($1500 in parts) and you'd be surprised at how close the y2 is. This DAC is a huge bargain at its asking price (I paid $400 shipped for my MisterX-built y2).

Last edited:
400$ is the amount paid by that guy in headfi forum.

last week i got the quote from mr x
Hi

The price is $330 including postage via USPS priority mail.

A power supply is not included (international power supplies are hard to find over here and are pretty expensive half way around the world).

Cheers

-Marshall

270$ is without cabinet and probably shipping to a us address i gave to him, not sure, will confirm later

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back