Bug Head Player

You can try the settings I suggested above. Your RAM should be able to manage it. If it stops playing due to CPU over load, lower some settings. You should be able to get very good sound.

Tough to keep pace with the development pace of Hiroyuki:)

Especially with his recommendation for 10 hours of software burn in.

Spoke too soon ... 6.04 beta 6 is out.

That's what I found out when I followed your link:D. Downloaded, but will give the 6.04 a listen for some time before trying the beta 4 (or will it be 5 or 6:lol:). I do like the 6.04 a lot.

After reading this thread, i tried the bug head player myself. My PC allows me to go upto 10% degradation. With upsampling to Normal and everything else to default, i started my test. Started with Paararuvaaya from Thara Thappattai. That is a brilliantly recorded and very well composed song from maestro. What i immediately felt is a ringing in the decays. I switched to JRiver and compared. It is there as well but i haven't noticed there before. The rest of the spectrum remained almost the same. Bug Head is adding some additional ringing to the instruments. In this case of classical instruments, it was not good. I am not sure whether i have tor try any other setting. When i tried something random black magic, ringing became worse. I moved from Foobar to JRiver because of the better texture in bass. I am not sure what additional differences you guys found in Bug Head. Please share the positive experience especially when compared to JRiver.

My first attempt has failed. But, i believe there is something more into this player. It hasn't yet convinced me to give up JRiver.

Do try the settings mentioned in post #119.

The ringing you mentioned is probably the decay on notes being heard more prominently. This is usually accompanied by a faster attack so you'll also hear the leading edge of notes seem faster than before.

If you click on the Self sound optimizer button, a new button called Spells shows up next to the "X thread" button. Here one can select nine different Black Spells or five different Random Spells.

I tried Rewrite on a playlist this evening. I could hear improved decay, with a more lingering tail. It also seems to be more resolving after Rewrite.

I'm yet to try the beta releases. 6.04 does sound quite good to my ears. I've noticed that the volume level is higher than the last version I heard (5.56).

Last edited:
After extended listening this evening I felt a harshness in the IB (There seems to be no IB "SQ" in version 6.04?). Dont know if it's due to the Rewrite process I did before starting playback, or the character of the version 6.04 itself.

In other words, it sounds hifi-ish on extended listening and I didn't really enjoy it. I did make some minor changes (Bug Level 4 instead of my usual Level 3, Kitty level 4 instead of my usual 3). Rest settings as before. Not sure if this minor changes hardened the sound:sad: Too many variables to reckon with.

Or was it my distracted state of mind?:indifferent14:

Did an extended listening today. With the same settings. Now i understand. Bug Head just removes a veil when compared to JRiver. Not much of tonality change. Just a veil is removed. I have to admit that i am impressed. Looks like a worthy successor to JRiver.

I'll compare with Audirvana later this week.

That's good to know, matbhuvi:thumbsup:

Errata: I thought what I have is ver 6.04 but it is 6.03. I've downloaded 6.04 beta 10. Will try over the weekend.

I do agree that extended listening with Bug Head does show the brightness with the player. My KH-120 monitors are quite neutral. Not bright. But, Bug Head can add brightness to vocals. Especially with female vocals. Instruments are very enjoyable. Especially the separation is too good. The layering is phenomenal. Looks like if you have some tube in the chain, then the player will be really enjoyable.

Version 6.22 is out.

I tried 6.04 beta 9, beta 13 and beta 15 too. 13 and 15 are good but I didn't like 9. Right now using 6.21.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back